Notices

40 days!!

Old 02-03-2022, 06:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

40 days!!

It's been about 15 -20 years since I have gone anytime over 2 weeks with no booze. I started a new job in October. Made it till around Christmas until my boss said you choose rum or the job, can't have both. He is sober so I couldn't hide my drinking.

It's been a long time coming. It's been a daily struggle since I was 17 and I'm 42 now. Was semi functional for the most part until about 2 years ago when I just stopped caring about life and the conquinces of my drinking. I'm a chef on yachts so it is a struggle constantly being around alcohol and people drinking.

I'm giving this sober thing a real 100 percent honest shot for the first time. The boat is spending the next 6 months in the Bahamas so can keep myself busy with positive ocean activities. Been reading here every night since Christmas, this place does make me want to be sober and gives me hope hearing everyone's stories. The good and the bad.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Terrific stuff. I got sober at around the same age, 4 years ago now. This website got me sober, kept me sober and I owe it everything. Stay strong, have a plan and stick around here as much as you can. Congrats on 40 days.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you CC - congrats on 40 days

D
Old 02-03-2022, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 40 days! Awesome. You have a really interesting job!
Old 02-03-2022, 07:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 40 days CC, very nice going! Wishing you all the best.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 40 days crazychef!
Old 02-03-2022, 08:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fantastic job, CC! Especially considering where you are and the party environment. With 40 days you are getting to the point where big changes start to happen - good sleep, less anxiety, more confidence.. and clear thinking.

I had over 3 years, thanks to this site, but relapsed when I was living overseas, became complacent, and let the crazy stuff get to me - started listening to my EGO and my AV. Bad move. I spent the last few years since then intermittently trying to moderate or get sober but couldn't get more than a few months at a time. Been down this road many times and it gets more difficult each time. I'm at 60 days again and feel great. Not going back. Whatever you do - do not take that first drink. And stay close here. Stay involved with it - read and post. I found before that after 6 months it gets easier. After a year I never even thought about it.. until I stopped working my program completely.

You will be so glad you did this, Crazy Chef.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
nez

I'm a chef on yachts so it is a struggle constantly being around alcohol and people drinking.
I used to say the same thing, but hell... the truth is... I could have been on a deserted island and not drinking still would have been a struggle. Being around alcohol and people drinking was an excuse I used, and nothing more.

When I finally decided that I didn't want live my life as a drunkard any more...nothing stood in my way, including me. The world didn't change because I wanted to get and stay sober. People, alcohol, and yachts didn't disappear. They stayed the same. What changed was me.

Serenity is not the absence of storms. It is peace in the midst of storms. I got and stayed sober, as a chef, in the midst of alcohol, people, and yachts.

Anybody can be drunken pirate, especially in the Caribbean. It takes no special talent. Now... being a sober pirate, that takes requires a certain uniqueness.

Old 02-03-2022, 10:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello crazychef and massive congrats on 40 days!! 👏👏👏
Old 02-03-2022, 10:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great work on the 40 days! I'm impressed with your strength and commitment!!
Old 02-03-2022, 11:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 40 days sober 🙏
Old 02-04-2022, 12:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 40 days crazychef
Old 02-04-2022, 03:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome chef!

Sailing the world and getting paid!
Sounds like good enough motivation to quit for me.
Then there is your health, mental and physical.
I wish I had quit at 42. I waited 10 more years.
Old 02-04-2022, 03:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good choice. One of the best things I did in my life.
Old 02-04-2022, 04:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A chef friend told me there’s a lot of drinking after hours in that trade, the late finishes I guess.

Your boss might have been a life changer. It’s going to be a hard battle surrounded by such temptation, but you’ll be a lot better off.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by crazychef View Post
It's been about 15 -20 years since I have gone anytime over 2 weeks with no booze. I started a new job in October. Made it till around Christmas until my boss said you choose rum or the job, can't have both. He is sober so I couldn't hide my drinking.

It's been a long time coming. It's been a daily struggle since I was 17 and I'm 42 now. Was semi functional for the most part until about 2 years ago when I just stopped caring about life and the conquinces of my drinking. I'm a chef on yachts so it is a struggle constantly being around alcohol and people drinking.

I'm giving this sober thing a real 100 percent honest shot for the first time. The boat is spending the next 6 months in the Bahamas so can keep myself busy with positive ocean activities. Been reading here every night since Christmas, this place does make me want to be sober and gives me hope hearing everyone's stories. The good and the bad.
40 days is a GREAT Start!
Old 02-04-2022, 08:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

40 days is fantastic!
Old 02-05-2022, 03:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
A chef friend told me there’s a lot of drinking after hours in that trade, the late finishes I guess.

Your boss might have been a life changer. It’s going to be a hard battle surrounded by such temptation, but you’ll be a lot better off.
yeah, been cooking on boats for the last 12 years off and on. He is the first sober yacht crew that I have meet. Usually my captains feed me alcohol to keep me happy, at least they think they are. It's been a rough 2 years, always drank heavily but was responsible and separated it from work for the most part. When covid hit was out of work 6 months and was drinking 24/7. When I started working again I kept up that. Got fired from one job for drinking and quit another so I could keep drinking. My Captain saw right through my lies after 2 weeks and gave me a choice. Keep this job, make good money, have a place to live for free with no expenses, go fishing, diving, kiteboarding on your days off or go hide in a room with a bottle of rum and waste away. He was a former addict so he actually understood that its a struggle. The rest of the crew is supportive of a sober lifestyle so I feel lucky/ blessed to have this opportunity and am not going to waste it
Old 02-05-2022, 03:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Quite an amazing story and turnaround. You’ve played your part too with willpower. The irony is if you knew how strict the regime was, you’d probably have taken another job! What a lucky break.

The fishing, kiteboarding, etc., is symbolic of what else you could be doing instead of drinking. The thought of going back to my dull drinking life is bloody scary, and that’s what you should keep at the back of your mind as it sounds like you’ve got good times ahead.

Now then, got a job for me? 🤣

Old 02-05-2022, 03:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Some would say you are living the dream!
Much better than the nightmare of addiction.
Keep up the good work.

Remember, We Do Not Drink, No Matter What.