Notices

Ten Years on...

Old 02-03-2022, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ten Years on...

In a little over a month, it will be ten years since I've found it necessary to take a drink of alcohol or smoke a cigarette. I don't often think about my drinking these days. Seems so remote. Yet SR was fundamental in my FIRST attempt at recovery (~14 yrs ago, I think). I spent a lot of time here. Got confident, questioned my alcoholism; it didn't end well. But this place gave me a place of refuge during the two years I remained sober.

Since then I have been a sporadic guest. When one is sober, truly sober, life becomes very full. Even in retirement. I've mentored (I won't say "sponsored," as it implies a much more hands-on relationship) a number of folks. I continue to attend AA for the wannabe's. It is so rewarding to witness the transformation, the birthing of a fully human being.

I write this for the wannabe. Don't settle for just sober. Go for the whole enchilada, or you'll simply be an angry, bitter, and depressed non-drinker. Sobriety means fulfilling your purpose and your promise. A purpose you may have no clue exists yet. Just as we built a life upon habits of suffering, loss, and grief, we can create habits of gratitude, joy, and peace. We learn to be happy with what is granted us. We don't expect life to be free of challenge and suffering, we simply learn to meet it. This is the meaning of serenity.

Do not compare yourself with others. Just be you. Do not believe it when your sick ego tells you that you're not enough. We all have our own causes, conditions, gifts, and liabilities. I remember wanting five years' sobriety in my first 6 months. Yet the miracle occurred within every day of the five years that followed. Those days are part of me. The one trait I observe in most who recover successfully is peace with the way things are, right now. Doesn't mean you don't work toward better circumstances, it simply means that right now is OK. I can accept it. I can be with the way things are. Because no matter what you are lacking in your life, you have your sobriety. You are fully present to meet it. That gives you all the advantages to which you are entitled.

You're enough. Just the way you are. And you're even better if you don't drink. Drinking - it never ends well. It really doesn't. We don't manage it, it manages us. It's simple as that.

Joy,

Warren
Old 02-03-2022, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you Warren - absolutely spot on.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you Warren- glad you are well. Thanks as always for sharing

D
Old 02-03-2022, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's good to see you again! And thank you for sharing your insights.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

What a beautifully written post, Warren. I'm so happy you are living a wonderful life - one that wouldn't have been possible if you'd continued anesthetizing.
It's so strange how we think it's enhancing our lives - even as it cheats us out of everything good & steals our spirit.
Congratulations on your 10 yrs.! (Wish you'd drop in more often.)
Old 02-03-2022, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A great post Warren. Thank you.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the thoughts Warren. Well said and very meaningful to me
Old 02-03-2022, 08:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you. What you said is absolutely brilliant in it's power and simplicity.

I needed to hear that tonight, friend.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on nearly a decade sober! 🙏
Old 02-04-2022, 02:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank You Warrens for sharing. Much appreciated.
Old 02-04-2022, 03:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting

Wanting 5 years of sobriety in 6 months. That was me. Now I have 2 years and really don't care about numbers now. As long as I am sober Today.
Old 02-04-2022, 03:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by warrens View Post
In a little over a month, it will be ten years since I've found it necessary to take a drink of alcohol or smoke a cigarette. I don't often think about my drinking these days. Seems so remote. Yet SR was fundamental in my FIRST attempt at recovery (~14 yrs ago, I think).
I like the way alcohol just fades into mild background noise, and then you just stop thinking about it. Think about the contrast between that and how it dominated your life at one time.
Old 02-04-2022, 08:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's always good to see you, Warren. I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 02-04-2022, 11:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That’s an inspiring story, thanks for posting it. And congratulations on the sober time.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by warrens View Post
Do not compare yourself with others. Just be you. Do not believe it when your sick ego tells you that you're not enough. We all have our own causes, conditions, gifts, and liabilities. I remember wanting five years' sobriety in my first 6 months. Yet the miracle occurred within every day of the five years that followed. Those days are part of me. The one trait I observe in most who recover successfully is peace with the way things are, right now. Doesn't mean you don't work toward better circumstances, it simply means that right now is OK. I can accept it. I can be with the way things are.
I love this! How I used to envy others. Now, in my early 50s, I’m no big shot, but I’m sort of where I’d like to be emotionally/physically, and more importantly I’m way way nicer towards other people. Things just had a way of working themselves out after I quit. What a burden alcohol is. Thanks Warren for such an uplifting post.
Old 02-04-2022, 04:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'll try to remember from whence I've come a little more often...

Hugs,

Warren
Old 02-04-2022, 08:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, do come by more often. We enjoy your company.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That's awesome, @warrens! Ten Years is EPIC!

It's great to see you post here! I often wonder about the folks that disappear. I'm sure that some of them get enough sober time and get strong enough in sobriety that they don't "need" SR anymore. Probably I fall in that category for the most part. But I stick around to remind myself of what will happen if I go back out there, and to help and encourage those that may be struggling with it. I like to give back to the forum that helped me to save my life.

Again, Congrats!
Old 02-05-2022, 05:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So good to "see" you and especially to read your words.

I remember we started stopping around the same time. I actually stopped forever seven years ago.

Loved your post.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations on approaching a decade of sobriety!

I'm also retired and approaching 12 years of sobriety this spring.

Years ago I worried that when I retired I would have lots of time on my hands and no accountability to an employer, so I would be drunk all the time. That hasn't happened, I'm way to busy enjoying my life to even think about drinking. Sounds like you are too!