Notices

I drank--use me as a cautionary tale and don't do it

Old 01-30-2022, 09:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good on you for coming back before falling deeper into your relapse. Isn't it interesting how we know from experience that drinking never turns out well for us, but still we continuously delude ourselves into thinking "this time" it will be different? Such is the nature of addiction.

It's never better, and usually much worse.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Samantha

I've been drinking non stop too. Last Friday 15 beer. Yesterday more than that. Thankfully both times I was able to stop and not keep going the next day but I feel horrible.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Yikes! A bit harsh, I think. I stated above that I said just that--drinking is off the table--and I stated my reasons why.

Wow. Next time I sure won't post when I make a mistake.
No, Sam ☹️ You haven’t made a mistake. We’re all addicts here, and like it or not, despite what anyone says, we’re statistically more likely than a “normie” to relapse. Our brain chemistry has been altered by our past drinking, so no one here’s making mistakes nor judgements.

I think the point is, rather than analysis why you drank, think what you could change to reduce the chances of it happening again. You said you’d had longer periods of sober time in the past, which is great. You must’ve had more time to your hands to get stuff done or follow other activities. It sounds like a few changes would be a good idea? Make your lifestyle so that drinking doesn’t work or fit in.

It’s a bottle of wine (which you didn’t finish). You’re not a criminal 🙂 I hope you post loads more on here, especially if you’re feeling cravings. Posts like yours help lots of people, including me. Take it easy, Sam 🙂
Old 01-30-2022, 11:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
I've been drinking non stop too. Last Friday 15 beer. Yesterday more than that. Thankfully both times I was able to stop and not keep going the next day but I feel horrible.
☹️ What’s going on there, Samantha?
Old 01-30-2022, 12:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m glad you made it back Sam.

If you find some of these responses harsh, try and remember you’re probably a little fragile right now but everyone here took time out to specifically post to you, to try and help.

Some peoples tone or approach may not be what you expected but everyone’s sharing what worked for them to stay sober.

of course if you find some folks just not helpful you can use the ignore function

D

Old 01-30-2022, 12:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
☹️ What’s going on there, Samantha?
just pure and constant stress. I never drink this much but lately I have been
I have surgery Friday so I won't be drinking for a while.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Samantha

well, hopefully not ever.

Old 01-30-2022, 01:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I’m not downplaying the stress, AR, but we all know that a lot of stress comes from wanting alcohol. It’s a cruel irony and cycle that drinkers get stressed because they need a drink ☹️ I’ll upset a whole bunch of people now, but the most short-fused people I know are smokers, and it’s because their addiction (nicotine) is controlling them, probably more than alcohol controls/controlled us.

I have to ask, though. How are you able to access/buy such quantities of beer? You need to get rid of any stock or create some sort of barrier between you and the nearest source.

I’d certainly stop drinking now if you have surgery on Friday and use that time as a springboard. Ask what’s causing the stress and how else to deal with it. No point in telling you that drinking doesn’t help. You know that. Good luck this week and for Friday.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sam - I'm sure you learned something valuable. It's never going to be a fun escape ever again. Can't be worth the price. It took me way too long to finally get it.
I'm glad you wanted to talk about what happened. We all care about you.

Anxiousrock - I remember when I thought of alcohol as a soothing friend that would ease my anxiety. Maybe if I'd been able to hold it down to one or two - but I never was able to. Once the first one was down, off I went....
I'll be thinking of you Friday.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:13 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I would say that if you've been "trying" to quit since 2011 that you don't really want to quit.

It's a binary choice and it doesn't take 11 years to stop...maybe you need to get yourself into a treatment facility. Or is it just not that bad for you and you'd like to leave the door open a crack? That's certainly a choice you can make, but not one that works for us long-term.

If you have a problem with drinking then the solution is stop drinking.

Be honest with yourself (and us) though.
Umm, well geez. Sorry I didn't give you a detailed listing of my sober time over the last 10 years--didn't realize that was necessary. And I suppose I should have just created a new profile with a new start date instead of maybe thinking people would give me the benefit of the doubt.

This is NOT helpful at all.

Old 01-30-2022, 04:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I’m glad you made it back Sam.

If you find some of these responses harsh, try and remember you’re probably a little fragile right now but everyone here took time out to specifically post to you, to try and help.

Some peoples tone or approach may not be what you expected but everyone’s sharing what worked for them to stay sober.

of course if you find some folks just not helpful you can use the ignore function

D
Thank you Dee, I will make use of the ignore function going forward. Good reminder.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:42 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Samwitch, glad you are back on.

nobody is being harsh, we are here to support you, and sometimes when we are raw, we misunderstand others good intentions.

Im so sorry you chose to drink, and the self loathing, shame is a gift to use in your toolbox, amongst perhaps a few you have yet to discover.

Its tough and simple. Don’t drink today. Every day.

Big hugs.

Agree with Dee about The ignore button. There are current members on SR that posted they thought I was a terrible person, and no wonder why my daughter became an alcoholic and did meth and became homeless.

I know, right? Downright nasty and almost sabotaging. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤯

Now THOSE comments were meant to be mean, and I don’t think the admins censored them, but what I could control was not seeing their posts anymore to anyone’s posts.

Highly recommend that button when you need it, and you can undo it at anytime.

Old 01-30-2022, 04:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm glad you made it back Sam. Really, that's all that counts.

You're right, alcohol is not what it's cracked up to be, and is never worth it.

It's good when we crack the lie.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:38 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Well done for posting this Sam. We’ve all done this. I’ve lost count if the amount of times I’ve succumbed after day/weeks/months of sobriety.
Getting back up and moving forwards is the key!
Old 01-31-2022, 08:01 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing 🙏
Old 01-31-2022, 01:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi Sam - I’ll try and say what I think other people are trying to, but in a nicer way, forgive me in advance if it comes across as something harsh, it’s definitely not meant to.

I think if you’ve been trying this for 11 years (which is a little longer than I have by the way, so we’re in the same boat), and it has not “worked” up til now, then you need to try something different.

In other words, it’s very unlikely that the same approach you followed before will lead to different results, so I think the messages people wrote are trying to drive you to some sort of “new plan”, or new action.

On my day 1 this time round (unknown to me it was day 1 at that point), my girlfriend told me she was no longer putting up with this unless I did something about it - I said “it’s ok, I ll just exercise more, do the things I did last time” - she then told me “if you think doing the same thing that didn’t work last time will work now then you’re not an alcoholic, you are insane”.

Harsh, but that was my wake up call.

It’s way too early for me to claim I beat this addiction, but I am trying new things and it does feel better and more solid this time.

Hope this helps, and I do hope it drives you to try something new, because I can read the determination and focus in your post, so it’s the perfect time to follow that new direction (the long-term members here are much better placed than me to say what direction that is).

My best wishes to you!

Mr P
Old 01-31-2022, 01:45 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Glad you came right back Samwitch ~ Hope you're doing ok
Old 01-31-2022, 03:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrPL View Post
On my day 1 this time round (unknown to me it was day 1 at that point), my girlfriend told me she was no longer putting up with this unless I did something about it - I said “it’s ok, I ll just exercise more, do the things I did last time” - she then told me “if you think doing the same thing that didn’t work last time will work now then you’re not an alcoholic, you are insane”.

Harsh, but that was my wake up call.
Didn’t Einstein say something about repeating the same thing over and over.

You’re right. I just think people need to realise the mammoth task that quitting is. A lot of us had been drinking for 10 or 20 years. Imagine trying to break any other 20-year-old habit. It’s almost like changing from right to left handed. It’s like moving to a foreign land and culture. A lot of things need to change when we quit drinking, and just like moving to some strange country, it takes a good few weeks or months before anything seems normal.

Sam, I’m really really glad you posted. The length of time you’ve been wanting to quit isn’t out of the ordinary at all. It’s probably average for the people on this site. I think MrPL has got it spot on, and I hope you can beat this soon as you deserve a lot better out of life.

Old 01-31-2022, 07:19 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Yep, I was sober for 33 days and yesterday I gave in and drank about a bottle of wine. It sucked. It didn't taste good, the buzz wasn't really anything and I almost had to force myself to keep drinking. And of course the aftermath was horrible. I tossed everything that was left(I had some white and then some red so I had bits of both left.)

Please please please--if you are thinking about drinking--it is sooo not worth it. Trust me. Nothing good comes from opening a bottle of poison.
Thanks to all the support I received in the January class--I'm back on the sober train.
Thank you for sharing this. I am 4 years sober and still have to stay on top of my reoccurring thoughts of drinking. I can mostly identify what triggers me wanting to drink and I try to plan ahead of it ... It's easier but so far it hasn't gone 100% away. I stay very close to SR and read something from here everyday. There use to be people in the chat room to chat with and that was fun (and honestly really helped when I felt bored or tempted) but people don't seem to chat anymore there. I'm glad you came back to SR to talk about it. You have helped more people with your story then you know.