Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What I’ve become after booze - Weekenders 28 - 31 January 2022

Notices

What I’ve become after booze - Weekenders 28 - 31 January 2022

Old 01-29-2022, 08:09 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
It's also where Paul McCartney met his future wife Linda Eastman, Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues met his future wife and John and Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac met here too. It seems to have been a favourite haunt of many a 1960s rock star and group. I'm sure I once went there in the mid 80s when it had long ceased to be a live music venue. I've looked up the location and it does seem very familiar (just off Regent Street). I also remember the place as being down some stairs, in the basement, which matches a description of the venue.

That's interesting, I had heard of it but I never been there. In the early 1980's I used to frequent a nightclub not far from it called The Wag Club which became quite trendy soon after I stopped going there.

Good reminder Chancellor, waking up sober on a Saturday is the best.

Edit. Good plan to stay in Robbie, I just heard on the radio someone has been killed by the storm.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:39 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

good afternoon everyone.

I "graduated" from the outpatient program that I had been in since mid-December. I did more than 30 days because I loved the program and felt like it was a good thing to carry it out until the end of January. They have an after care program that I can utilize to attend every week if I need to talk about things.

i'm in a wonderful head space and making a ton of progress every day. I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:56 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Athens, sounds like you are in a good position for moving forward.

I'm in a good position for staying mostly warm and working on taxes today.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:53 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Athens, good to read that you are making good progress.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:00 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Saoutchick - Good Grief! The Wag Club! I haven't thought about that for many, many years - I used to go there when I was student in London, buying crazy looking clothes from Camden Market and getting a night bus home at some ridiculous hour. Not so this weekend. holding onto my hat in the storm weather and sitting at home with a cup of ginger tea watching Sean of the Dead with my daughter - Hope the North East has not been too battered by winds....battered not crumbed that is!
Old 01-29-2022, 03:02 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Caturday greetings from cold Ohio, tho at least we're not getting the winter storm that's hitting the east coast.

Fed Billie and took her out. I like being able to do (more) for myself now. For a while I couldn't imagine me doing much of anything. Gave Billie some diced mango and some tropical fruit bits with her supper. She loves her fruit.

Weekends weren't much different to me than weekdays, as I drank 24/7 and didn't care what day it was. But now I'm just glad that all my days are sober ones. My life is peaceful now and I understand the meaning of the word "serenity".

Calmself, aren't you coming up on three months sober soon?
Old 01-29-2022, 03:32 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
Saoutchick - Good Grief! The Wag Club! I haven't thought about that for many, many years - I used to go there when I was student in London, buying crazy looking clothes from Camden Market and getting a night bus home at some ridiculous hour. Not so this weekend. holding onto my hat in the storm weather and sitting at home with a cup of ginger tea watching Sean of the Dead with my daughter - Hope the North East has not been too battered by winds....battered not crumbed that is!
We had a really bad battering from the high winds, the local town Facebook page has a lot of pictures of storm damage including a number of fallen trees. Thankfully no-one has been reported as injured. There's another storm on its way tomorrow (Sunday) evening apparently.

The Wag Club I remember from the pages of The Face magazine back in 1983/84. I'd forgotten it was where David Bowie recorded the video for his 'Blue Jean' single until I read an article about it earlier this evening. Not one of his better singles though.
Old 01-29-2022, 04:09 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

heya folks...
Old 01-29-2022, 04:11 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hi PJ. How ya doing?
Old 01-29-2022, 08:57 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi PJ

The winds sound like they’ve died down now, hopefully. There were a few trees down and garden stuff blown about yesterday. Tragedy that some people have being fatally injured in the storms.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:49 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

End of Day 77, ran 3 miles at the gym. Will plan to slowly start cutting carbs from tomorrow. Wishing strength and peace to all.

Thought of the day: Our mind is not a pot that needs to be filled but rather a fire that needs to be kindled. Let us find inspiration and strength within ourselves.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:28 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

The first time I saw mushy peas on fish and chips I thought to myself “why would anyone put guacamole on their fish n chips???”
I’m with you on crumbed Dee and Suze. Maybe it’s an Aussie thing
Living near the coast, we eat crumbed fish fairly often, yum!
Old 01-30-2022, 01:50 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
Saoutchick - Good Grief! The Wag Club! I haven't thought about that for many, many years - I used to go there when I was student in London, buying crazy looking clothes from Camden Market and getting a night bus home at some ridiculous hour.
Cool! It could be really good fun some nights. The world seemed a more promising sort of place when you were in the Wag Club. My heavy drinking had not set in back then.

Well done AthensDawg, it sounds like a good programme you went to.

We were fortunate in London and seem to have escaped Storm Malik. It is a fine morning outside this was one of my local parks about an hour ago. It will look better when the trees have leaves on again.

Attached Images
Old 01-30-2022, 05:26 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

good Sunday morning. Wow, I slept until almost 8. I am stunned but happy at the same time.

I've had to seek treatment a few different times, and this was by far the best program(both inpatient and outpatient) that I've been to. The program and staff at both places were wonderful. I honestly couldn't have asked for a better situation.

I got outside yesterday afternoon and did a few miles on a local greenway trail. It was something different and it felt good to be outside. It was cold but sunny.

After that I went to an NA meeting that is about 30 minutes from Athens. I hadn't been to the meeting in awhile and I wanted to change things up from what I had been doing. This meeting is sometimes a little more "edgier" and the cuss words are more abundant sometimes and I like that. If I said "damn" mistakenly in one of the AA meetings I might be banned from the group, ha.

I'm also in a better state of my mind because I've had some separation from my dad the past week or so. He didn't like me going to the meeting 30 mins away and always worried, so having a little bit more freedom is a good thing. I am also able to go out with friends to eat dinner after meetings and sometimes that's not planned.

hope everyone has a great day.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:54 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday Morning Weekenders!
Old 01-30-2022, 09:20 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Evening Weekenders! I haven’t posted in a while but keep following the thread, so just wanted to send greetings and say everything is well on my side. I also wanted to affirm my comitment to continue staying sober the new year.

We had a nice December getaway. It’s been a couple of years since I did a long roadtrip and it was nice to see areas of the country where I had last been as a child.

We stayed at an unspoilt, rugged coastal area that feels more remote than the hundred or so kilometres from Cape Town. If you don’t mind, here are a few photos taken along the way. The first one is a promising sight that greated us early on new year’s morning. Of course I knew that the penguins might find favour with at least one of the Weekenders.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:46 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hi Captain!
Awesome to see you and your pics ~ I am in love with those penguins. ❤️
Old 01-30-2022, 10:01 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Glorious land- and sea-scapes, CaptainHaddock.
The African Penguin is very distinctive with his black cross-stripe and spots on his front
Can one swim at those beaches or is the sea a bit rough and sharky?
Old 01-30-2022, 10:03 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

"Sharky".....awesome.....if that word is not in the OED, (or the Merriam-Webster) it should be.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:52 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Love the pics Captain ~ Thanks for sharing! Glad you had a good trip