Notices

Alcoholic Cardiomyopathy

Old 01-24-2022, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Left coast USA

Alcoholic Cardiomyopathy

My heart is only pumping 50% of what it should. Cardiologists refer to this as Congestive Heart Failure. My condition was probably caused by alcohol abuse. In addition, I've been told just recently, that I've had fatty liver for a couple of years, and my previous Doctor didn't bothered to tell me.

I managed to live a fairly functional life while hiding my alcoholism otherwise. But there is no free pass on excessive drinking, when it comes to internal organs.

I am taking matters into my on hands. I was doing 4 or 5 bottles of wine per day, but not one drop in over 4 months. This condition has scared the wits out of me to the point that I no longer desire or crave booze of any kind.

I'm a exercising 7 days a week, no excuses, and have switched to a clean 90% plant based diet. This plus zero dirking, I am down about 30 LBS in 4 months.

I am still fairly young. Only 69, and I was looking to a happy retirement in a couple of years, but now I have to deal with this and give my health top priority, and set aside some of my big plans.

Anyone else here with this disease? What have you done to reverse it?
Old 01-24-2022, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can it be reversed? I think you have done the most important thing to heal up which is stop drinking. Congrats on 4 months!!!
Old 01-24-2022, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on not drinking - wise decision - it can only do you good. Stick with it, this IS now your big plan.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're doing the best thing you can do by staying sober. 4 months of recovery is great, and good job on changing your diet and exercise plan.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome and great decisions you are making toward your health.

Diagnostic questions should be directed toward your doctor, prognostics, etc.

There’s a lot of support here, and your honesty will perhaps help others make good decisions before there health is too compromised.

Hugs!

❤️🤓
Old 01-24-2022, 05:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 4 months! It sounds like you are doing the right things. Have your doctor refer you to a nutritionist or dietitian. These people are experts in dietary suggestions and guidance for various medical conditions.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job on turning things around.. fantastic approach! I would think aerobic exercise would be very beneficial, being careful not to overdo it at first, of course. The plant based diet is also awesome, and eat plenty of fish.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi elzel. I'm sorry you have that condition, but you're doing a great job of caring for yourself.
Has your doctor indicated that the 50% can be improved with lifestyle changes?
I had to be scared sober too - wish it hadn't come to that. Congratulations on your 4 mos. sober.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on four months sober! I'm glad you stopped drinking.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job on doing what you can to preserve and protect your health.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Left coast USA

I guess the biggest reason for me posting this is that for some many years I thought I was fooling the world. Man, I had so many tricks I played to hide my drinking, and all I was doing was fooling myself. Without me knowing it.

I hope my message serves some that even though you think you are getting away with whatever shenanigans you think you are, alcoholism will catch up to you and beat you up in the long run.

Thank you all for your responses. This is not my first rodeo in sobriety, but I am very confident it will be my last one.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great attitude! Sounds like you are making it stick 🤓❤️
Old 01-25-2022, 08:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I for one really appreciate you coming on SR and telling us your story elzel. It really helps all of us to stay sober.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. - Steve Vai

Elzel, it sounds like you've made some very positive changes. In 2019 I had an experience with CHF as a result of a congenitally malformed aortic valve that was rapidly shutting down. My heart was pumping about 45%. After the valve was replaced my ejection fraction improved to better than 60%. If "50%" refers to your ejection fraction it may be of some comfort to know that "normal" runs from 50% to 75% but any individual's normal relates to individual factors which I can't tell you because I'm not a doctor. Hopefully your physician is aware and approves of your program. Aerobic exercise is one factor that can make a postive difference for people with CHF but it's good to run it by the doc in case there are additional issues to be cautious about. After my surgery and cardiac rehab it clearly alarmed friends and family when I mentioned "running," but it was helpful to be able to share that my doctor approved. May you have a long, sober, and happy retirement!
Old 01-25-2022, 04:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Left coast USA

Originally Posted by LesPaul1993 View Post
Elzel, it sounds like you've made some very positive changes. In 2019 I had an experience with CHF as a result of a congenitally malformed aortic valve that was rapidly shutting down. My heart was pumping about 45%. After the valve was replaced my ejection fraction improved to better than 60%. If "50%" refers to your ejection fraction it may be of some comfort to know that "normal" runs from 50% to 75% but any individual's normal relates to individual factors which I can't tell you because I'm not a doctor. Hopefully your physician is aware and approves of your program. Aerobic exercise is one factor that can make a postive difference for people with CHF but it's good to run it by the doc in case there are additional issues to be cautious about. After my surgery and cardiac rehab it clearly alarmed friends and family when I mentioned "running," but it was helpful to be able to share that my doctor approved. May you have a long, sober, and happy retirement!
Thanks for asking. Yes my EF is 35% which means my heart is pumping at half the capacity of what it should (70% Being normal). This has by far been the easiest "quit" I ever had. And there have been hundreds. But "you go where your mind goes" and my mind is now set on getting fit and healthy and have no capacity to deal with booze.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Samantha

Wow you really did take control....diet and exercise sounds good, and I hope you're feeling a bit better after 4 months