Notices

Can’t get enough sleep

Old 01-21-2022, 01:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
What was everyone’s experience with tiredness/sleep during early sobriety? I sleep fine and go to bed around 9pm. But when 7am comes around I just can’t get up! I slept til 8:30am this morning. I just feel like I can’t get enough sleep. 9pm-7am is 10 hours! I do wake up a few times during the night but sleep pretty well overall.
I am going through the exact same thing, even roughly the same hours! I talked to my doctor and he said I need to set an alarm and force myself to get up. Before, 8 hours was the norm for me.
Old 01-22-2022, 04:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

If you can sleep then do it.
Your mind and body need the rest to fight this beast.
I have been all over the place with sleep on my journey but early on there was a time I could not sleep enough. Then there was a spell where I only needed a few hours a night. I think I have finally settled in somewhat of a schedule.

It's early. Give your mind and body what they ask for. Right now it seems to be sleep. So sleep.

Old 01-22-2022, 05:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Woke up hours ago at 3:30am, can't get back to sleep, bored and made my way back to SR. This is the first post I see. Thank you.

Normally I sleep like a baby 9 or 10 hours a night when sober. Right now I'm getting like 5. I'm not tired though?

What do all you insomniacs do in the wee hours?

Tired of listening to my wife snore.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FiveTries View Post
Woke up hours ago at 3:30am, can't get back to sleep, bored and made my way back to SR. This is the first post I see. Thank you.

Normally I sleep like a baby 9 or 10 hours a night when sober. Right now I'm getting like 5. I'm not tired though?

I can’t sleep when my husband snores either so I move to my sons room. Still don’t get the great quality though there either.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Haha we do the same thing here sleeping in our kids beds sometimes, I don't have any extra rooms.

My son is a snuggler though he hogs the whole bed, so I usually just deal with the snoring. I try to give my daughter her space and not go in her room.

I need to finish my basement so I have a guest bed to hide out in.

Old 01-22-2022, 05:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Would be nice to get two more hours of sleep this morning but I don't see that happening.

Here's to staying sober today
Old 01-22-2022, 07:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FiveTries View Post

Five, when that happens I read a book for an hour - usually it makes me sleepy again. A glass of warm milk helps too. If I am still awake after that I bite the bullet and start the coffee. I'll have the first cup in bed while reading email, and the house is warming up, then I'm usually up. Occasionally I get sleepy again, despite the coffee, and can catch that extra 2 hours I need, but that's rare. By getting up early I am more tired the following night and am in bed and asleep by 10pm, which gets me back on track.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You don't really get proper sleep drunk. Maybe this is your body catching up?
Old 01-22-2022, 09:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My sleep has been all over the shop for a long time. I don't worry about it much though.

I think you probably need the sleep Jillian. Soak it up.

I'm pretty sure it won't remain this way, and will settle for less eventually.

Old 01-24-2022, 06:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

So, after some thinking and an online “test”, I think I do have mild depression. And I’m pretty sure I know the root cause - my marriage. And it’s not an easy fix.

It’s also most likely one of the root causes of my drinking too.

still seeing my therapist. I’m not crazy about her, but I am committing to keep going. And maybe try to find someone else.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Crap here we go again with no sleep tonight. Was going okay not sure what changed. Sorry to hear about the depression, relationship issues and whatnot, I have those too it's a drag. I need to find a therapist myself been thinking about it for a decade.