Notices

Life

Old 01-21-2022, 03:00 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Peke, my thoughts are with you and your hubbie. Wishing you both the best possible outcome.

Hope you're doing ok tonight. You can do this! Take care.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:15 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Peke, we're here for you this evening. If you feel like checking in to let us know how you're doing, that would be great.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:39 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi Dee!
I’m waiting for the plumber to leave. I made an appointment to get a spa treatment at noon tomorrow. I don’t normally go to spas. But I can’t go if I’m hungover! Since I cannot make running plans, this will have to do.
surrendered…
good grief I can accomplish so much more when I’m not hungover. It’s not even the drinking that sets me back. It’s the next-day sleeping in that takes up so much of my time. I can get to the recycling, walk the dogs, do some abs etc.
pill join you in making a meal when I get home.
thank you both for checking with me.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:48 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Peke - Please know that it won't always feel this challenging. I remember those early weekends without it. I spent a few of them feeling sorry for myself & resentful. Yet I'd reached the point where it was poison to me. I think you have a much more positive attitude than I did - already seeing how much better life can be when you're not numb & foggy.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:36 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi Guys!
Guess what?? I ran tonight! 2.75 miles. It’s been exactly 30 days since I got hit by a truck. I can’t believe it. I have some edema in my leg. But I feel so great.
And I didn’t drink!!
Old 01-21-2022, 10:59 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pekelover2 View Post
Hi Guys!
Guess what?? I ran tonight! 2.75 miles. It’s been exactly 30 days since I got hit by a truck. I can’t believe it. I have some edema in my leg. But I feel so great.
And I didn’t drink!!
Outstanding on both counts Pekelover

Have a great weekend!!
Old 01-21-2022, 10:59 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi Peke,

Nice job on the run, and staying sober. I am also sending positive thoughts your way for your husband.

❤️Delilah
Old 01-21-2022, 11:09 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad things are looking up PL

D
Old 01-22-2022, 03:27 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

So glad to hear this Peke. It's good to know youre on the mend in more ways than one. And you're right, there are many who come here and disappear into the ether. We can only hope that they find some genuine healing peace, whatever form that takes. For me at the start I had to find ways to add to my sobriety momentum. Making a plan was crucial. Reading around the forums and finding topics and discussions and people I could identify with provided the basis for that. Joining the daily thread was my first committment to making myself accountable on a daily basis.

My brain was so hardwired into using alcohol as a catchall solution, I believed it was the only thing that could provide everything from sleep to inspiration to escaping my racing brain to relinquishment of responsibility... the list goes on. In reality, my addiction was mocking me, knowing it had me exactly where it wanted me. I was locked into a mindset that alcohol was a panacea for all my ills. When I got sober, the realisation of how fully I had been fooled and locked into foolishness apparently so easily shocked me to the core. Learning so much from the good people on here, I knew I would need a plan that incorporates a sense of purpose and accountability. If I didnt I would lose momentum and become one of those who logged off and didnt look back.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:59 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Wow running 30 days after being hit by a truck! There is something to be grateful for!

Good work

Remember you only have to not drink for today. Have a plan for tomorrow but if you dont drink today you have won the battle.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:25 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Fantastic news, Peke! Running will really help dump the stress and get you back on track. As others like Hevyn and Triggered mention, we become very accustomed to using alcohol as a panacea, but once we break away from it life becomes really amazing on many levels. It doesn't happen overnight but one day you realize things are so much better and much of the worry and negativity is gone.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:45 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad that you're healing well. And, great job on staying sober.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:39 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!
i’ve been sober and I’m really pleased for that!
Yesterday I got a second opinion from an orthopedic surgeon. It wasn’t great news. I have a dent in my right leg. I was hoping that it would resolve itself. But he said that I have a lacerated quadriceps muscle. On the plus side he checked my strength in that leg and it’s very strong still. So that’s why I’m still able to run. On the negative side, it looks pretty awful. My other leg (which had all the staples) is sort of a mess. It looks like a sausage. It kind of makes me sad. When the doctor told me that my leg would always look “deformed” as he put it I started to cry. Well I didn’t really cry. But I started to get upset. Granted his choice of words wasn’t exactly welcoming. But he reminded me that I got hit by a truck. He is also a cyclist. And he has been hit by three cars in his lifetime and he said that he knows very few cyclist who have been hit by trucks and who are still able to walk. So that was a sobering sentiment. No pun intended!

when I drove home from this appointment I passed by the supermarket and I felt compelled to go pick up some wine. But I just kept driving. Because wine never makes anything better for me. It just makes everything worse.

On a sidenote, I told my husband that he should never use the word “deformed” to any of his patients ever. There are so many better words you can use. Such as misshapen or irregular. But this Dr. really meant well. Surgeons aren’t exactly known for their bedside manners. And I was already feeling pretty sorry for myself anyway. My best friend reminded me that it’s better to have a dent on my leg then in my face!

as always thank you so much for your support. As we wait for my husband‘s work up to be completed he has refrain from drinking. So far he’s been sober for 10 days. I can’t even tell you how much it means to have a partner who is not actively buying wine.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:42 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I apologize for this. But I wanted to add a few more things. One of the reasons that the appointment was very difficult yesterday is that I found out I’m going to need several surgeries. One is for a broken finger. The other is for the quadriceps muscle. And a third is for the leg with the staples. Apparently the orthopedic surgeon thinks it should be revised by a plastic surgeon. But none of this is eminent. Tomorrow I see an oral surgeon. This is because my jaw is broken. I think that I am a little nervous about this. Because I feel like this doctor will also recommend surgery. My jaw feels OK. I’m not trying to say like I’m some martyr or anything. I think I must have a pretty high threshold for pain or some thing. Because the MRI showed that it was clearly broken. Anyway I won’t drink tomorrow night. I promise myself that I won’t.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:32 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m sorry for the bad news Peke.

My advice is to try not and worry too much tho?
Things very well turn out better than you fear right now

I am proud of you for not letting the AV run with this

D
Old 01-26-2022, 11:55 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Dee. I’m trying to enjoy the minutes of clarity. When you don’t drink you can focus on your feelings as they come. You don’t black out and then have everything pile up on you the next day.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:36 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Your physical prowess and toughness are your most important assets Pekelover, and it sounds like you will need all of the arrows in your quiver coming up. I cannot think of an SR member that is more up to the physical challenges ahead than you are. But I think you'll agree, all of that is far less true when you drink. Use your knowledge of fitness, your toughness, your border-collie like need for constant movement, all of those things that require such a resilient mind and body. Sharpen those tools. Don't dull them with alcohol.

You are up to this.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:37 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hi Peke!

I got caught up on your thread, sounds like everything is moving forward. What a way to meet your medical deductible 🤯

As a retired surgical nurse, I know all of those surgeries are very successful, and yes, if your plumber shows a butt crack while fixing a problem, well, he just needs to be a good plumber (I,e, no ‘sink side manner’). It must be so stressful to have to do all that.

Any way you can bundle them, so you can enjoy the summer? If you are in northern hemisphere ? That might be helpful. Just a thought. Save recovery time, etc.

Congrats on your sober time. A week now?
Old 01-27-2022, 12:10 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Lol Free.. "butt crack.." but you're right, it's the proficiency that's most important in this case, and Peke it sounds like you have good docs.

So sorry to hear of the ongoing medical discoveries, but as was mentioned, you are really strong and will get through this. I am so glad you are resisting the temptation of a drink, which of course would only set you back. Really good that your hubby isn't drinking too, take advantage of that and keep building sober time. In early recovery every week brings us improvements in cognitive and emotional function, and sleep quality. All of this will help you heal and make good decisions.

Keep up the great work on your recovery, Peke. We are all rooting for you!
Old 01-27-2022, 12:34 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gosh, Peke, I'm sorry that you are dealing with all this. Reading through your posts, I knew you'd manage the surgeries you're facing and I'm sure they will improve your condition...and then you said your jaw was broken! Really, your jaw is broken and you're carrying on normally? Wow!

I'm so glad you're sober and staying positive, in spite of your surgeon's bad choice of words.