Notices

Anyone in the UK know how to find a free detox place ASAP?

Old 01-06-2022, 03:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Triggered View Post
Dont mean to be blunt Miss P but would you 'confess' to your doctor that you had gall stones? Please understand I'm not having a go at you personally, it's the whole language and attitude we're forced to accept surrounding addiction that I have a problem with.
I have thought long and hard about going to my GP for help with my alcohol problems, and unfortunately have come to the conclusion it wouldnt be worth it.
Ive had a long string of disappointing encounters with GPs over the years for other issues. You want help with mental health in the UK? Unless you tell them you're going to kill yourself they'll stick you on a 6 month waiting list for some inadequate talking therapy, and kick you out the door with antidepressants.
When I was in my teens, I went to the doctor for help after feeling low because of the deaths of my mother and grandfather. I was there for 2 minutes and got sent away with a presccription for fluoxetine (prozac). Not knowing any better I took them for 6 months and they helped. A few years later, I failed a medical for my dream job as a pilot because Id "suffered" from depression.
I have never gotten over this. All from a 2 minute encounter with my GP. I can go on and on with other encounters.
If i go to the GP asking for help, I know it will be on my record forever, and could possibly ruin my current and future career, without any real help being offered, and theyll also probably treat me like crap to boot. Id rather do it alone.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Mysteryman, I have to agree about GPs and mental health. They just don’t have the time. I was feeling down a few years back and was prescribed some pills, which I never took, so I guess I didn’t need them. Saying that, what’s the alternative. I think if someone’s feeling down, it’s better to see a GP than to grin and bear it, although people should be wary of any medications and ask if it’s necessary.

As for excessive drinking, I’d recommend seeing a GP. Again, they’re limited for time but can offer referrals. That got me started on the road to recovery. Plus you’re then accountable to someone else. When I last saw my GP (pre-Covid days), they asked about my sobriety even though I was there on another matter.

Some say it’ll mean alcoholism is logged on your medical records. This isn’t an issue. I’ve since taken out life insurance and had security vetting, no problems with my medical records.

Old 01-06-2022, 07:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

A lot depends on how you feel - some people can tough out withdrawals, maybe have family that can help, other people are over come with anxiety and worried about their health and so should see a GP, if only to have some reassurance. Reassurance goes along way when you are being kept awake at night thinking you have destroyed your liver or other harm.

I agree not all GPs are great but equally not all are uncaring.

I do feel for all those that have had negative experiences with the Doctor - as I have had both - terrible doctors and more recently a very caring doctor.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

How are you doing Tetrax? Sending you good vibes.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Tetrax,

In my case my alcohol counselling clinic and mental health team worked together to find me an inpatient detox / rehab placement. This was free although my family offered to pay a contribution. There was and is a great scarcity of places in the UK so you will need all your support workers working together to find a place. Shortly after I left the rehab it closed due to lack of funds, a sorry state of affairs.

My experience with doctors was not a great although they all meant well. My GP sent me to a hepatology consultant who took an interest in addiction. He gave me every test available to him at great expense to try to reassure me I had not done too much damage (yet) but ultimately what I needed to get me safely sober was inpatient detox and rehab, counselling and quite a bit of AA group work.

Good luck. Forwards.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Hi Mysteryman, I have to agree about GPs and mental health. They just don’t have the time. I was feeling down a few years back and was prescribed some pills, which I never took, so I guess I didn’t need them. Saying that, what’s the alternative. I think if someone’s feeling down, it’s better to see a GP than to grin and bear it, although people should be wary of any medications and ask if it’s necessary.

As for excessive drinking, I’d recommend seeing a GP. Again, they’re limited for time but can offer referrals. That got me started on the road to recovery. Plus you’re then accountable to someone else. When I last saw my GP (pre-Covid days), they asked about my sobriety even though I was there on another matter.

Some say it’ll mean alcoholism is logged on your medical records. This isn’t an issue. I’ve since taken out life insurance and had security vetting, no problems with my medical records.
Ironically my GP is also an alcoholic. Not only does he know my story but we've even been in a meeting together.

Anyway I'm tapering okay and looking to be dry by the weekend. Otherwise yeah I'll need to do something.
Old 01-08-2022, 11:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Regardless of the general consensus on GPs, I would still give yours a go. I think it would be unwise to assume that all are of the opinion reported. My brother's GP was wonderful and instrumental in getting him help with his alcohol addiction. He is now 13 years sober.
worth a go even if it turns out to be a wasted errand. Good luck and I hope you find some help
love Billy x
Old 01-08-2022, 02:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses. I'm about 20 hours dry and slept through much of it. No doubt tonight won't be easy but I'm determined to carry on pushing on now. I'm thoroughly sick of the drink, the poor diet and the missing of most of the daylight at this point.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this Tetrax

D
Old 01-08-2022, 04:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Keep us posted, Tetrax. Well done on nearly 24 hours 👍
Old 01-10-2022, 01:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

On your side Tetrax.

You can do this.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks guys; it didn't work out as I hoped that day as I gave in during a panic and bought before the shops shut. I'm daring to write optimistically now, however, as though I'm starting at nighttime again I've just had a whopping 14 hours sleep behind me and feel good and confident. This is the third phase of this week's five phase detox plan: I drank slowly all night on Sunday till 10am Monday and then slept the aforementioned 14 hours (I didn't think I'd get this much sleep - of intense dreams, which were mostly based around drinking) through the day. Now it's around 1:30am on Tuesday and I hope to stay up all night and most of the day (abstinent of course) and get an early night later on this evening sometime.

I really don't want to go through this again. I've also had such a repulsive physical bloat from the last fortnight's drinking that I can barely fit into my clothes. I sweated a bit of it out during today's sleep at least and know it will only get better as long as I don't pour any more damn booze down my gullet.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:02 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes Tetrax - sounds like a great time to quit

D
Old 01-11-2022, 02:00 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

So I've made 24 hours! I did stay up all night, then even went on a dawn walk round the local woods. What a refreshing contrast to 24 hours before let me tell you! Though I am unsurprisingly pretty tired I am planning on going to an afternoon AA meeting later today, to get this thing properly rolling.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:11 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good news man - follow through with the meeting plan if you can!

D
Old 01-11-2022, 02:23 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

We're all behind you Tetrax...you can do this!

Keep us posted no matter what happens...
Old 01-11-2022, 03:02 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Rooting for you too
Old 01-11-2022, 04:19 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Sounds like a plan, Tetrax. It’s a huge deal giving up drinking, and it sounds like you mean business.

Those dawn walks sound awesome.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks all. And my latest update is I made the meeting. A group I'd never been to in the past, didn't recognise anyone. But yeah good people. I even shared. It had the feeling of a regular one already so yeah, big day. And Hodd yeah I'm lucky I've got countryside within walking distance of my door (living on the edge of a city); now I can get back out there more.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:11 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Well done Tetrax.