Notices

Close call!

Old 01-04-2022, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Close call!

Close call! I had a rare win against the AV though really all I did was just surrender to the fact that I don't drink and that I wasn't fighting the AV. If I fight it wins so I just stopped fighting but maintained that I didn't drink. This was motivated by the fact that I have just been really down and depressed. This is the first time that I have actually felt this depressed. Normally after 1 day of not drinking my depression dissapears but this time it is hanging around. I told myself that it wouldn't help and would just prolong it. No drinks here!
Old 01-04-2022, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Every time you don't pay attention to that voice, it grows weaker. Eventually you won't hear it at all.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done, Max. Sorry to hear you’re feeling down. Can anything be done about that such as exercise or seeing your doc? It’s not the most cheery time of year for any of us, but it sounds like you need a boost.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had similar experience Maximus, and made it out alive. Glad you did too.

I've found greater strength in not having acted on the compulsion. Easier, if there is a 'next time'.

Unlike you, I fought it to the death. I believe both approaches can work just so long as we emerge sober.

It will get easier Maximus.

Well done!

Old 01-04-2022, 10:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Exercise helps me with depression. Maybe it would help you too.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It was explained to me in the very beginning of my
recovery journey to use my recovery program to help
and guide me to remain sober on a continuous bases
one day at a time.

Then if needed, use my physicians to help me stay
healthy in mind and body being honest with them
about not prescribing me anything narcotic or habit
forming that would interfere with my sobriety.

Letting them firmly know that I am serious about
my recovery from addiction and it is absolutely
important that nothing interferes with it.

Substance abuse affects all parts of our body
and it takes time to return to some what normal.

However, some of our insides have been damaged
and may need help in order for us to function as
best as we can. To have a better quality of life.

We don't have to live under a cloud of despair
or depression or even anxiety. Help is always
available to us and we can benefit from it greatly.

Hold onto your recovery lifelines to stay connected
with support so that you never have to go thru this
journey in life alone or by yourself.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Max, good for you for getting through this. I hope your depression eases up. Maybe a walk outside would help.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I do believe I've had better luck ignoring my AV than fighting it. By fighting it you are engaging it, which gives it a foot in your door. You let it in the house and it starts ransacking the place. I lost those battles with my AV every time. This not a joke or a metaphor. I had willpower standoffs with my AV. I could hold my own for 30 minutes, and after I proved to myself I could do it, I would reward myself with a drink, and then another and another. But those fights were years before I learned to ignore it or laugh at it, so I know it's not easy, but maybe you can file this information for later use. Better yet, use it to get a head start. What you want to shoot for is not to engage.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think this is the most important insight Max! No engaging with AV, no logic applies to alcohol, it’s a plain and simple “just don’t”!

Stay strong and you ll get the clarity you need to start dealing with your other problems, and for now
do feel proud of yourself, this is a great insight you had!

Old 01-04-2022, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi again Max, as well as the good advice about exercise, I notice you “disappear” from here for a few months at a time. You’ve got a busy job and other stuff, of course, but it might be worth checking in a bit more? Lots of support here when/if you’re feeling down. I feel for you in that you probably didn’t have a great holiday season. Not saying we’d have changed that, but you might’ve been talked out of drinking. Take it easy 🙂
Old 01-04-2022, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

No engagement is the right way to go Max

D
Old 01-04-2022, 05:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think this is the right move. Don't give it oxygen. Great work.

I can attest, eventually the AV fades away (at least it has for me a little over a year out).
Old 01-04-2022, 06:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

MaximusD that is so great. Awesome post!
Old 01-04-2022, 08:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I do believe I've had better luck ignoring my AV than fighting it. By fighting it you are engaging it, which gives it a foot in your door. You let it in the house and it starts ransacking the place. I lost those battles with my AV every time. This not a joke or a metaphor. I had willpower standoffs with my AV. I could hold my own for 30 minutes, and after I proved to myself I could do it, I would reward myself with a drink, and then another and another. But those fights were years before I learned to ignore it or laugh at it, so I know it's not easy, but maybe you can file this information for later use. Better yet, use it to get a head start. What you want to shoot for is not to engage.
Awesome! I kinda found this 'No Negotiations ' technique myself after the others like tape forward, urge surfing etc. failed badly. The problem with these are that you must make a stand against AV and stare it in its eyes. Most of us can't handle those glowing red eyes. Now with 'No Negotiations ' it is super easy for me. I don't even feel bad that I am missing something since I don't even think about it.

Long story short, when AV knocks (usually at wine or clock), I don't even bother to see through the peep hole - I know who it is. He will shoot me through it if I do lol. Like how governments deal with bad people....no negotiations strictly!!
Old 01-05-2022, 11:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by t1psy View Post
Exercise helps me with depression. Maybe it would help you too.
I exercise most of the time and only stop when I slip up but yes I agree and have begun my exercise program again.

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I think I have done this before honestly where I rewarded myself with a drink for 'winning' oh we are crazy
Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Hi again Max, as well as the good advice about exercise, I notice you “disappear” from here for a few months at a time. You’ve got a busy job and other stuff, of course, but it might be worth checking in a bit more? Lots of support here when/if you’re feeling down. I feel for you in that you probably didn’t have a great holiday season. Not saying we’d have changed that, but you might’ve been talked out of drinking. Take it easy 🙂
This is true that I dissapear. Sometimes I wonder if focusing so much on a quit is bad and would stop logging in but that obviously wasn't working so I will hang around. Worried though as a lot of times when I want a drink I wouldn't bother coming here I would just give in. I will try that though. Need to try different things.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It’s worth a try, isn’t it, Max? Next time you get a craving, check in and read a few nice or not so nice posts. Might take your mind off the craving. Something needs to change as you don’t want another holiday period like the one just gone. Can you take up a new hobby? Take it easy 👍🙂
Old 01-05-2022, 01:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oops, double post
Old 01-06-2022, 03:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think it's always good to remember what works and what doesn't when it comes to resisting the urges.

Clearly you've found a tactic that works. Keep using it! Try to build off that and the AV will get weaker and weaker in time as others have mentioned.