Notices

A little update

Old 01-03-2022, 10:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

A little update

Hello everyone I know & don't know I hope you are all well. I've been busy working on myself as some of you will know I gave up alcohol 8.5 years ago but within a week of giving up I was using marijuana to help me stay away from the alcohol nothing crazy but as time went on the magic of marijuana soon turned into my medicine of marijuana & by the end it was the madness of marijuana. In the last 3 years of my active addiction I also got addicted to codeine from a genuine thigh nerve injury, I told my GP to stop giving it to me as I'm addict (on my older sister's advice) and when I was without it and couldn't get it via my GP I turned to OTC pharmaceutical medication, the problem there is you can buy as much as you want from any pharmacy you like with no intervention from my gp to notice I was now abusing it and it's basically the same strength except with the OTC medication you can take as much as you like and I did unfortunately for 3 long years. I have shared this back in September and I stayed clean ever since (yay me right ?) Except I hadn't given up marijuana and exceptionally strong marijuana at that. So I'm here to report and tell my friends here in recovery I am now 45 days fully abstinent from all mind & mood altering substances I havn't touched codeine & caffeine since September 9th (almost 4 months on January 9th) I gave up marijuana on the 19th of November 2020 which is 46 days today. I have found a fellowship I have a sponsor and I'm now in a 12 step program (currently on step 3) i have also been getting help from my local mental health team as of July 2020 the marijuana left my mind broken by the end & I was not listening to my mental health team who begged me to stop so thier medications would work and kept telling me that the more I smoke the more it interferes with the medications they were giving me. I had a home team visiting me everyday as I was too scared to go out and full of paranoia. I started listening 46 days ago when I finally agreed to go back on the medications they were giving me to help my situation and I can report aside from a few miscommunications between my mental health team and my GP things are slowly getting better I'm fully abstinent that's the big news I won't even drink tea or coffee as it has caffeine and I can't stand caffeine anymore as it messes up my circadian sleep pattern and can trigger manic episodes where I'm all hyper etc and so on. I still haven't touched alcohol throughout all of this and I genuinely believed I was sober in that time while smoking marijuana that's how deluded I was thinking I was in recovery I always kinda knew deep down it wasn't right but not to the extent I know now plus add 3 years of codeine addiction to the mix and you got a drug addict with free will running riot. So I think I've covered everything and been completely honest here firstly for my own accountability with myself, friends and anyone new here I havn't met yet

I have 8.5 years of not touching any alcohol whatsoever

No codeine in almost 4 months

And lastly 46 days off really strong marijuana

Sorry if my lies or my behaviour in the time I was first here has upset or offended anyone I can show I'm sorry by staying clean one day at a time and if I do get overwhelmed I constantly tell myself it's just for today I know I can do that. I'm doing a crazy amount of meetings (I done 8 yesterday from 3 different fellowships) it's so I feel ok in my own skin and the meetings which are currently keeping me sober I'm meeting so many people, lots of newcomers keep reaching out to me as I leave my telephone number at the end of every meeting and doing my sponsor's suggestions everyday has helped me massively whether it's prayer, meditation, reading the just for today card, ring at least 2 people a day (outreach calls) ring my sponsor daily & 2 meetings a week. I think I'm missing two but forgive me it's 6am and I'm heading into my second meeting of the day after I was in an AA meeting at 1.30am this morning

Life is getting better and I didn't want you guys to not know whether I'm ok or not .. I'm ok one day at a time, speak soon, big love and thanks for reading this.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad things are turning around on all fronts SW

D
Old 01-04-2022, 12:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your honesty SW.

I remember you well and am glad you are clean of everything. I have not been offended by any of your posts that I have read - I always recall you genuinely wanting to help others.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's always nice to see familiar faces. Welcome back SW.

Old 01-04-2022, 01:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Good to see you soberwolf and do hope to see more of you x look after yourself x you are worth it xx
Old 01-04-2022, 03:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It sounds like things are just getting better and better, @Soberwolf!
Old 01-04-2022, 03:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi soberwolf,

You are not alone in this boat. If you change the names of the substances we have very similar stories.

In my experience the last one is the hardest to quit, because then you will truly face your addictive personality, but that’s where you’ll truly find your path to peace.

I don’t think you need to be sorry, I remember you from my last sobriety attempt in 2016, and your posts have always been inspirational to me. Once you get over this next hurdle I have no doubt you will do the same for people trying to quit other substances too.

Well done for having the clarity and honesty to post this here, we’re with you all the way!
Old 01-04-2022, 05:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yay SW!

What a brave an honest post!

Congrats on day 47 now!

Good to see you back, really good……..❤️🤓
Old 01-04-2022, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you. It always seemed like turning to other drugs to replace an addiction was missing the point. My AA group had a big scandal over this one time. People were telling on others in the group that were getting together to smoke marijuana. Then a controversy erupted over whether that should be permitted or not. I was new and managed to stay out of the argument. Then someone came up with the concept that this was a form of "sobriety maintenance." And some pointed out that AA was about alcohol, not other drugs. The thing died down eventually, as people started being quieter about their extra-curricular affairs, and people got tired of arguing about it, anyway.

I smoked a lot of marijuana in college, but eventually it was no longer fun. I just quit using it without any fuss at all. But I do remember thinking one night that I didn't need marijuana or any of those other popular drugs during the 60s and 70s as long as I would always have alcohol. Today of course, alcohol seems like the much bigger problem. I wouldn't say that if I could have quit drinking as easily as I quit all those other drugs I used in college. But each of us has different challenges to deal with.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

Feed the good one SW, you're a good one !
Old 01-04-2022, 08:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A lot of people will say cannabis isn't addicting and that it's completely harmless. For some people that may be true but it affects everyone differently. My sister for example has to smoke all day everyday and it has affected her mental health drastically. For me, I love it when I'm drinking but when I'm not drinking it can sit in front of me all day and I have no desire to touch it. Also it makes me unable to work. Then I know some people that are super productive with it and others that have overcome other, much worse, addictions with it. To each their own. Congrats on giving up all the recreational drugs and addictions. I've spent many nights with a 12 pack of beer and a bag of weed or some edibles, and occasionally other stuff I won't get into here, and it's never lead to anything positive in my life.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I’m so glad for you, Wolfie. I hope that when you say things are getting better, that includes your mental health as well. Those first few months were very difficult for me, but similar to you, I found I could live through all of that one moment at a time.

Thank you for helping me to stay sober today.

O
Old 01-04-2022, 09:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Let it go, let it go. Get it out and off your chest. This place is the best best best.

Being honest about problems, even in this anonymous forum, takes courage and commitment.

I have problems too and since joining SR I have been addressing them with the help of a professional. Funny that she doesn't seem to really know what she is doing. But, technically she is a pro. She is getting a paycheck (eventually, because technically she is an intern).

Anyway...

Here, everyone gets a chance to talk and nobody gets offended (because they don't usually know) if their comments are not fully listened to.

While someone might say we are a group of misfits, I disagree. We actually are a group of folks that know we have an addiction problem.

In my humble opinion, anyone that drinks or does other drugs no matter how little, is addicted. Take the drug away, and they will suffer.

Let's stay clean clean together and let our body's natural happy juices return to a normal flow/acceptance level.

Heavy exercise gave me a taste of what amazing feels like with no booze.

That feeling got better and better and easier and easier to achieve as the sober years tick up.

I just kicked a nasty cold or something with really only 1 sick day. This natural ability is worth never drinking again. I should be to tough to kill from a cold etc. My grandma is 99 and still living a good life. Goals!

Stay clean by any means. Booze is poison. I hate the stuff.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's great new SW!
What a brilliant way to start the New Year x
Old 01-04-2022, 11:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

SW, it's so good to hear from you and especially to know that you're doing so well.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

(((SW))) Glad you can come here and clear your mind.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

SO glad to see you, SW. Welcome back and congrats on your 4 months.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf;[url=tel:7747155
7747155[/url]]Hello everyone I know & don't know I hope you are all well. I've been busy working on myself as some of you will know I gave up alcohol 8.5 years ago but within a week of giving up I was using marijuana to help me stay away from the alcohol nothing crazy but as time went on the magic of marijuana soon turned into my medicine of marijuana & by the end it was the madness of marijuana. In the last 3 years of my active addiction I also got addicted to codeine from a genuine thigh nerve injury, I told my GP to stop giving it to me as I'm addict (on my older sister's advice) and when I was without it and couldn't get it via my GP I turned to OTC pharmaceutical medication, the problem there is you can buy as much as you want from any pharmacy you like with no intervention from my gp to notice I was now abusing it and it's basically the same strength except with the OTC medication you can take as much as you like and I did unfortunately for 3 long years. I have shared this back in September and I stayed clean ever since (yay me right ?) Except I hadn't given up marijuana and exceptionally strong marijuana at that. So I'm here to report and tell my friends here in recovery I am now 45 days fully abstinent from all mind & mood altering substances I havn't touched codeine & caffeine since September 9th (almost 4 months on January 9th) I gave up marijuana on the 19th of November 2020 which is 46 days today. I have found a fellowship I have a sponsor and I'm now in a 12 step program (currently on step 3) i have also been getting help from my local mental health team as of July 2020 the marijuana left my mind broken by the end & I was not listening to my mental health team who begged me to stop so thier medications would work and kept telling me that the more I smoke the more it interferes with the medications they were giving me. I had a home team visiting me everyday as I was too scared to go out and full of paranoia. I started listening 46 days ago when I finally agreed to go back on the medications they were giving me to help my situation and I can report aside from a few miscommunications between my mental health team and my GP things are slowly getting better I'm fully abstinent that's the big news I won't even drink tea or coffee as it has caffeine and I can't stand caffeine anymore as it messes up my circadian sleep pattern and can trigger manic episodes where I'm all hyper etc and so on. I still haven't touched alcohol throughout all of this and I genuinely believed I was sober in that time while smoking marijuana that's how deluded I was thinking I was in recovery I always kinda knew deep down it wasn't right but not to the extent I know now plus add 3 years of codeine addiction to the mix and you got a drug addict with free will running riot. So I think I've covered everything and been completely honest here firstly for my own accountability with myself, friends and anyone new here I havn't met yet

I have 8.5 years of not touching any alcohol whatsoever

No codeine in almost 4 months

And lastly 46 days off really strong marijuana

Sorry if my lies or my behaviour in the time I was first here has upset or offended anyone I can show I'm sorry by staying clean one day at a time and if I do get overwhelmed I constantly tell myself it's just for today I know I can do that. I'm doing a crazy amount of meetings (I done 8 yesterday from 3 different fellowships) it's so I feel ok in my own skin and the meetings which are currently keeping me sober I'm meeting so many people, lots of newcomers keep reaching out to me as I leave my telephone number at the end of every meeting and doing my sponsor's suggestions everyday has helped me massively whether it's prayer, meditation, reading the just for today card, ring at least 2 people a day (outreach calls) ring my sponsor daily & 2 meetings a week. I think I'm missing two but forgive me it's 6am and I'm heading into my second meeting of the day after I was in an AA meeting at 1.30am this morning

Life is getting better and I didn't want you guys to not know whether I'm ok or not .. I'm ok one day at a time, speak soon, big love and thanks for reading this.
Hi Sober…I think I remember you from years ago helping me with encouraging words in my time of need. Glad to hear you’re doing better and hopefully you have a better New Year.

Intro
Old 01-04-2022, 07:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That’s a great update Soberwolf. You’ve been a support to many over the years, I hope you’ll lean on us if you need any support moving forward. I’m really happy to see you back.❤️
Old 01-04-2022, 09:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You were one of the first to welcome and support me back in 2015 Soberwolf. Have never forgotten you.

I've had a few slips and slides along the way, but am now 2 years sober, and very grateful.

Good to see you return Soberwolf, and hope you continue to post of your journey.