Notices

The quit and the stomach

Old 01-03-2022, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The quit and the stomach

My quit is rolling along well.
Im noticing very mild indigestion stomach (cramps) here and there, only since my quit.
I assume this is pretty "normal" as the human gut tries to find balance
after I kicked my body's a$$ with the poison nightly for a long time.

Did you find this mild indigestion in early quit?
Old 01-03-2022, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lots of things like that are indeed part of the healing process Ascended. In the case of our poor GI tracts, we rendered our bodies capable of metabolizing only alcohol for energy. Everything else was jettisoned. As our bodies move back into metabolizing healthy foods and fuels, there is definitely some swings of the pendulum as our guts come back into balance.

I'm glad your quit is going well. One of the things that really gave me peace of mind early in my quit was making some medical appointments. Not all the news was good when I quit, but having the knowledge was so empowering. Get to the docs - the real docs - not Dr. Google. He's a bad doc.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Drink more water. Lots more. Like a gallon per day.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm kind of gut-obsessed, Ascended. Like many here, I had my share of terrible gastro-intestinal trouble when drinking. If I recall, my gut felt better almost immediately, but I also switched to eating very cleanly straightaway and exercising daily.

I think it's highly likely that your gut is taking time to resettle but if it gets worse, you should of course consult your GP.

This might be a little off-topic but ... it took me about 8 weeks to realise a change in my health and body. At that point, a switch sort of flipped and my body began to react noticeably to dietary and exercise changes. It has been that way ever since. From then on, I have had a very close relationship with my body, and been very attuned to it. It helps to be able to tell what my body is trying to communicate to me without the chaos introduced by alcohol. With a bit more sober time, you should hopefully also be able to sense and interpret your body signals more clearly, especially things like indigestion.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There's a lot of things that tilt when we quit. Keep a close eye and see a doctor if it gets serious. Going back to drinking will not help. But it will make things worse, maybe the indigestion. Maybe something else. After years of drinking and indigestion, I ended up with a pre-cancerous condition called Barrett's Esophageal. The heart burn and indigestion are now under control, but Barrett's will always be there. The uncomfortable part about it is that every couple of years they shove a huge tube down my throat and look around with a camera. They usually knock me out when they do it, but not always. When you wake up, you can feel the results of all the prying around they did inside you. And the procedure is not cheap.

The point is that drinking is hard on your body, and my condition is only one of many possible outcomes. I could have avoided that, but I was too macho to quit drinking back when I could have done something about it. The human body is vulnerable enough without subjecting it to additional abuse. And beyond the physical abuse is the living nightmare and psychological toll alcoholism creates. For me, that was more hideous than any physical effect.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Almost as an aside, everyone would do well to look after their gut. There's a reason why it's sometimes referred to as 'the little brain' . 'Gut feeling', 'butterflies in the stomach'... theres plenty of language that refers to the effects the gut can have on our whole well being. Until relatively recently, it was believed that changes in moods, anxiety and depression etc, contributed to our brains causing problems in the gut. Nowadays studies show that it can also be the other way around. Given that information, it's not surprising that our heads are in such a mess after feeding poison into our gut for so long. There's a 2 pronged (maybe multi faceted) approach to this sobriety thing, looking after your gut is a good start.