Notices

2021 I drank the least of my 26 year drinking career

Old 01-01-2022, 07:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2021 I drank the least of my 26 year drinking career

Hello SR,
I decided to come back and check in here. Congrats to everyone who is trying and everyone celebrating success. Unfortunately I did not remain completely sober last year, but I can say that I drank the least amounts/times in 2021 compared to any other year of my 26 years of drinking. It makes me feel proud to be able to say that.
Wishing everyone a safe and healthy 2022.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is fantastic Chancellor. I hope all of your days here on out are sober ones. But if they aren't, it is so critical to your health and future for the left-to-right tracking line to keep moving in a downward direction.

There is the one drinking day out there for each of us that is the day on which we reach the point of no return. I think we should all keep that in mind. It is a certainty that at some point, on some drinking day in our future, we've run out of chances.

I hope all of your days in 2022 are sober ones Chancellor.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you posted Chancellor, looking forward to seeing more posts from you!
Old 01-01-2022, 08:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad to see you back

D
Old 01-01-2022, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Did you enjoy the days where you did drink chancellor, or were they problematic?

I suppose any progress is good progress, so I'm happy for you.

Abstinence is proving the very right way for me to go. Could never make moderation work. Ever.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Some drinking days were ok and some weren't. But I do remember how good waking up sober feels. That really is awesome

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Did you enjoy the days where you did drink chancellor, or were they problematic?

I suppose any progress is good progress, so I'm happy for you.

Abstinence is proving the very right way for me to go. Could never make moderation work. Ever.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That was my 2020. I got most of the way there but didn’t. I think having a much healthier year is still something to celebrate and learn from. I haven’t been a daily or blackout drinker in 7-10 years or so… it’s certainly good to move toward health. The mind trick is when I’d start to think, “oh I can moderate now!” and slide backwards into increased daily drinking and “bad” weekends.

One thing I have learned, also, is that for an alcoholic “rock bottom” isn’t always a slow and steady progression. A devastating binge, DUI or health issue is always potentially one bad night away.

Good luck this year!
Old 01-02-2022, 07:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel completely the same Evoo. I'm gonna try again this year I decided. Starting today. I thought about it all day yesterday as I woke up hungover, that's not the way to start a new year. I feel a bit down on myself but I have to let it go and move forward. So today is day 1.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Chancellor, I tried to moderate for decades, then quit for over three years in 2013, with the help of SR. I was amazed at my energy, focus, and the adventures one could have sober. Unfortunately, I struggled with true recovery, and slipped back into controlled drinking again in 2017 to calm the mental chaos. SInce then, and through this past year I never drank more than 180 drinks in any given year. Fifteen a month, on average, but many without any. Several stints of 2-3 months. My addiction continued unabated.

As long as we continue to use any alcohol to self-medicate our feelings and emotional response to life, we will stay stuck and unable to effect true personal change and growth. Not to mention the brain never really has a chance to heal so we never get the benefits we desire. I'm almost at a month of complete sobriety again now, and will never go back. The quality of sleep, reduced anxiety and mental clarity has never been better. It is a permanent decision, which makes it easier. I sincerely hope you will make the same decision and experience the full spectrum of benefits from sobriety.