Notices

New Years resolutions?

Old 12-30-2021, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Years resolutions?

What a predictable thread 🤣

Resolutions don’t have to be related to sobriety, although I quit coincidentally on 1/1/2019, so it’s as good a time as any to quit. Maybe it could be fitness related? If so, take it steady to start. Our cardiovascular systems improve within weeks, but the rest of the body needs time to catch up. I’ve spent a fortune on physio 🤪

I don’t have any sobriety goals. I’ll just continue to be wary as I do get the occasional mini craving. I still believe there’s a drink out there with my name on it (applies to all of us) so I’ll never be complacent. SR has taught me that. I could do more with fitness, but I’m striking a balance between doing well and not getting niggling injuries.

I’ve been planning to write a fiction book (since 2005 🤣 ) so I’ll add that to the list.

So that’s me, bit boring. Anyone else?

Old 12-30-2021, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don’t do 'em anymore. The best day for change is the day you decide change is needed.

D
Old 12-30-2021, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I resolve to not make any resolutions.
Never stuck to one anyway

Old 12-30-2021, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

This is not so much a resolution, but a sincere wish/hope, that I can get back to good health this coming year.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
This is not so much a resolution, but a sincere wish/hope, that I can get back to good health this coming year.
I hope the same for you
Old 12-30-2021, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

To be more forgiving and accepting of myself. Do good things. Engage with life, not be afraid of it.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In my particular case, one way to doom any ambition to certain and speedy failure was to make it a New Year's resolution. So I had to stop doing that.

I have always admired the people in my life who make a resolution on Jan 1 and stick to it.

Your resolution is not boring at all Hodd. Get after that book!!!
Old 12-30-2021, 02:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
In my particular case, one way to doom any ambition to certain and speedy failure was to make it a New Year's resolution. So I had to stop doing that.

I have always admired the people in my life who make a resolution on Jan 1 and stick to it.

Your resolution is not boring at all Hodd. Get after that book!!!
Thanks Surr, I reckon a load of SR members have such tales to tell about their battles and overcoming demons that they’d write a whole load of books way better than I ever could.

oh, and I definitely have to agree with the consensus that waiting for new year before changing a negative is a delaying tactic, especially when it comes to booze.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Resolution is not only to stay sober, but improve my mental health in terms of the pawsy symptoms.

May my neurotransmitters balance out, be healthy and I’m feeling good this year. I know we can’t always feel good but at least most of the time.
Old 12-30-2021, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

All peace to neurotransmitters. Gogabago!
Old 12-30-2021, 03:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Least, I wish the same for you.
Old 12-30-2021, 03:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can never resist the New Years resolution thing and I do quite like the opportunity to take stock of my life and what's been happening, The idea of renewal, fresh starts, new beginnings, fills me with hope for myself and others.
I have improved over the years - the pace of change has been somewhat slow ( years to stop drinking) but it has been happening. I could say maturing like a fine whisky, but instead lets say a fine cheese!
Anyway new years resolutions will include learning the art of 'acceptance' and 'letting things go' - eat more oily fish (it's good for the brain) drink less coffee ( that will fail) tell my children I love them more often. Like Hodd, finish the two novels I have laying around half written. Stay sober and sing more.
Least I also wish for a pain free 2022 for you.
Old 12-30-2021, 05:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I LOVE New Year's resolutions! However I've never stuck to a single one. I was at a meeting in work a few days ago and a colleague was talking about the direction for our relatively new business. How, instead of us all talking about changes we'd like to see, we come up with a firm plan of our direction and then divide the year into Q1, 2, 3 & 4 and figure out our goals for each quarter. I really loved the idea of applying that concept to my own life. Where realistically, do I want to be in a year's time? I usually start the year by saying that this will be the year I get fit and lose weight. And then I never come up with a plan. So I want to actually work on specific goals for this year and then actually follow through. Often I feel so happy with my plan that I never even start it .
Old 12-30-2021, 07:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Don’t do 'em anymore. The best day for change is the day you decide change is needed.

D
Agree with ya Dee. 🥰
Old 12-30-2021, 09:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

• Be kinder
  • Get fit
  • Get employed and stay employed
  • Stay sober
  • Keep up a meditation practice
  • Work on my mental health
Old 12-30-2021, 11:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I like to set new goals and ways to improve my life. I left “No Alcohol” as number one but other goals for me this year are to decrease my screen time and increase my veggie,fruit, lean protein intake. Small goals to improve my health.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

New Year's Day is the day I start a program to help my new pup overcome his separation anxiety issues, so he can be happy, healthy and thriving. That's my main goal for 2022.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have one overriding goal which is already underway, and that is to rebuild my life free of alcohol. What that will bring remains to be seen, but I'm hopeful.

Aside from that I want to start back running again and run a half marathon next year.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

- 0 alcohol
- get into shape
- get a job and stay employed

Focusing on myself hardcore in 2022.
Old 12-31-2021, 05:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I reckon we can pull it off!