Ongoing Sober Streak Length - 169 days

120 days sober + 0 days non sober

Old 05-03-2022, 10:23 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Ongoing Sober Streak Length - 171 days

122 days sober + 0 days non sober
Old 05-04-2022, 12:05 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Wish I could’ve started at the beginning of the year, but I’d like to start now if that’s ok, and hopefully end up with 0 non-sober days at the end of the year. I haven’t been an everyday drinker for a long time, but when I do drink it’s never good, I can’t have just one, when I get a taste of it my mind says you must have more, a lot more. I could only estimate the past 4 months, so starting on 5/1/22, I’m 4 days sober at this point…thank you for the support, I was here about 7 years ago when I was doing really bad with drinking, since then I have tapered off, and now I want to just not drink at all, because I know I can’t do it casually.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:37 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Welcome everyday!

Giving up booze was the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Old 05-04-2022, 06:49 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EveryDay7 View Post
Wish I could’ve started at the beginning of the year, but I’d like to start now if that’s ok, and hopefully end up with 0 non-sober days at the end of the year.
Alcohol likes to present itself as an alluring succubus promising unlimited pleasure but ultimately brings only never-ending pain, suffering and early death. Once a drinker recognizes there may be a problem, it generally takes many years to fully acknowledge alcohol as the pure poison it actually is and walk away from it forever.

Keep pushing forward with challenging the lies it likes to tell. Here's to making the rest of your 2022 as sober and clean minded as possible.

All your life you've been waiting for your chance
Where you'll fit into the plan
But you're the master of your own destiny
So give and take the best that you can

Nothing is easy, nothing good is free
But I can tell you where to start
Take a look inside your heart
There's an answer in your heart

-- Triumph "Fight the Good Fight"
Old 05-04-2022, 01:55 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Today is my Wife’s first day off for a 4 day stretch. What usually happens on her off days is that we run errands, shop, spend time with our son…and then in the evening we have some wine and watch a movie or sit out on the porch…and that could be for the next 3 nights as well.

Well today I’m having coffee and doing all those daytime activities, and I’m choosing to relax tonight without the wine. It’s an unusual feeling, part of me says it’s ok to just have some wine tonight; however, I know where that leads…wanting more than what I say I’ll have and increasing that over the next 3 nights.

I’m thankful to be able to post here, writing this out and reading these posts really help me remain vigilant. So, I’m not going to have that first drink tonight that leads to destruction. I feel great about my decision today. Thanks for reading!
Old 05-04-2022, 02:00 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I went a little over 5 months and then relapsed in the middle of April.

currently at 17 days no alcohol.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:21 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Ongoing Sober Streak Length - 172 days

123 days sober + 0 days non sober
Old 05-06-2022, 08:04 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EveryDay7 View Post
Today is my Wife’s first day off for a 4 day stretch. What usually happens on her off days is that we run errands, shop, spend time with our son…and then in the evening we have some wine and watch a movie or sit out on the porch…and that could be for the next 3 nights as well.

Well today I’m having coffee and doing all those daytime activities, and I’m choosing to relax tonight without the wine. It’s an unusual feeling, part of me says it’s ok to just have some wine tonight; however, I know where that leads…wanting more than what I say I’ll have and increasing that over the next 3 nights.

I’m thankful to be able to post here, writing this out and reading these posts really help me remain vigilant. So, I’m not going to have that first drink tonight that leads to destruction. I feel great about my decision today. Thanks for reading!
Welcome EveryDay7. Ya, I'm the same with regard to wanting more after having that first drink, and then more. I've quit many times. Trying to make this one last

Sounds like you're doing great and wishing you all the best with it.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:04 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Day 150.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:38 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

For many of us one drink leads to two, and two leads to many more. It takes a while to realize the hold that alcohol has on us.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:15 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dickensen View Post
For many of us one drink leads to two, and two leads to many more. It takes a while to realize the hold that alcohol has on us.
It's so weird, man... I quit for 1-2-3-4 weeks, and usually, the first few days without alcohol is really, I mean, really, an agony.

I'll just say I listened to my AV again, and of course, everything was doing good, everything was heading in the right direction, so;

I deserved a few

which became a few more....

that eventually became a "few" too many

and I ended up face down on the floor, may possibly have broken my nose, the medically trained here suggested to go to the ER. I was in absolutely no condition (mentally, as in severely anxious) to do so though, and since then (it's been a week), it seems to have healed OK anyways.

I failed S222, but I believe in the rest of you! & remember, failing is a positive experience in it's own way. You can still manage S222/4 (One quarter of the year - meaning if you haven't been drinking since March 31st), or S222/3 (a third of the year, same principle)

If everything else fails, there's an S222/2 - Stay Sober from July 1st through December. (Half remainder of the year)
Old 05-07-2022, 11:54 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Ongoing Sober Streak Length - 175 days

126 days sober + 0 days non sober
Old 05-08-2022, 07:40 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Polaroid View Post
It's so weird, man... I quit for 1-2-3-4 weeks, and usually, the first few days without alcohol is really, I mean, really, an agony.

I'll just say I listened to my AV again, and of course, everything was doing good, everything was heading in the right direction, so;

I deserved a few

which became a few more....

that eventually became a "few" too many
Staying sober is different from getting sober for me too, for very similar reasons as with you @Polaroid . I think of it now as recovery stage 2. I had similar thoughts last week at almost 5 months AF but I've been there before and I was ready for it with a few tools I planned to use when it happened again. Not if, but when, 'cause I've been there too many times now to think it might not happen this time

My thought process:

I've been good and I can have a few today and as long as I don't do it again I'll be OK.
But wow, I know it's a risk. Do I really want to take that risk? Heck, I'll be fine. I can do this. It's going to be so nice.
No, the risk is too high for me. Tool #1 - Remember the list I made after a week AF with 25 negative things about my drinking and only 1 positive. Really think this through man. Ya, so not worth it.
But I'll be fine and it'll be so nice to have a few. But the risk. Tool #2 - I know if I wait 20 minutes before I give in the urge will pass. But why wait, I can do this safely and I'll really enjoy it.
But what if I get sucked back in. Remember my list and think about having to possibly go through the past 5 months again when I finally get back in the right frame of mind again to quit. Tool #3 - "I don't drink and I'm not changing my mind". But do I really want to stick to that, it's just going to be a few drinks. Hang on man, with all that crap in my future if I start again, with how happy I am now to be alcohol free, knowing exactly how bad sinking into that trap is going to be, why the hell would I mess with a few drinks for some momentary pleasure in exchange for 25 f****** negatives and all the pain that goes with them!?!
Nope, not going there. I made a Big Plan for a very good reason and I'm sticking to it. I'm not losing the pleasure of having a few drinks, I'm ensuring my continued happiness.

And after breathing a big sigh of relief, it was suddenly over. Urge gone. The funny thing is, how much of a relief it was. I've not had another urge since then. It will happen to me again, hopefully it'll be a while and hopefully they will come less and less often as time goes by. But I got past this one which lets me file my process away as something that works for me in this situation, ready pull out next time.

I failed S222, but I believe in the rest of you! & remember, failing is a positive experience in it's own way. You can still manage S222/4 (One quarter of the year - meaning if you haven't been drinking since March 31st), or S222/3 (a third of the year, same principle)
Failure can for sure teach us much more about how to improve something than success ever does. The mother of invention and all that . But we have to do the work of learning from it. If you learn from your failure this time and use that knowledge to succeed next time then the whole thing will become a success. You can do this!

Old 05-09-2022, 01:52 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Ongoing Sober Streak Length - 176 days

127 days sober + 0 days non sober