Notices

The manic run-up to Christmas

Old 12-23-2021, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The manic run-up to Christmas

This time of the year is always busy in my profession. People need things done before Christmas, there are deadlines galore, everyone is starting to disappear for the holidays and there is so much urgency!

When I was drinking, the whole month would be a blur. The lead-up to Christmas was always an opportunity to drink too much. Trying to balance hangovers and fuzzy-headedness with extra meetings and extra pressure was crazy. I would feel like I was lurching from one panic moment to another, barely holding it together.

I now work in my own business mainly with social enterprises and non-profits. This week started off with unbelievable news. A client working with vulnerable communities in the Philippines had their operations wiped out by the super-typhoon there.

(I mean wiped out! We are so fortunate here. Spare a thought to those who saw their entire towns and villages flattened a week before Christmas. They still can't access basic survival necessities because the damage was so devastating.)

We needed to account for people, manage the crisis, pivot on the fundraising we were in the middle of, and reach out to stakeholders.

Another client needed to urgently sign and close on their funding this week. They almost went under this year due to the impact of COVID lockdowns. They needed that money to provide people with paycheques.

I woke up at 6 am on Tuesday, 3 am on Wednesday and 5 am on Thursday and worked through long days. I had other commitments I managed to attend to in there - social ones included.

I was responsive, alert and there for people. I felt responsible and of value. I could think on my feet, make quick decisions and jump onto urgent calls whenever needed.

I'm no super-hero, I'm just sober.

We closed the funding for the COVID-affected client. We made some important strides in the Philippines relief plan - we'll keep working on it through the holiday break.

It is now Christmas Eve morning. I am sober and sitting up in bed. I have never been more thankful for my life. I'm not rich, I don't go out and buy a lot of expensive things or take fancy holidays. I'm not earning a lot of money. Not like I used to in my old life when I appeared successful but was an utterly miserable wreck trying to hide my alcoholism. I have total joy and alignment now.

And next week, I have an appointment to pick up my new rescue pup from a shelter, right after Christmas, to share this beautiful life with.

Merry Christmas everyone on SR. You are an amazing community and you all helped me get here. I am forever grateful.

The sober road is rewarding. Please stay on it. Push through the early days when you'll face your demons and be tempted to escape them by running back to the bottle. Work through recovery and the lessons it offers.

Eventually you'll be able to use the opportunities of sobriety to build your life to whatever you need it to be, to provide you with sustainable and lasting contentment. There will still be challenges, tragedy and heartbreak from time to time - they won't magically disappear. But you will have a strong, stable - and sober - foundation to work from.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the post Missperfumado!
Merry Christmas to you too

D
Old 12-23-2021, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a beautiful post MP. Thank you so much. I also find that being able to be there for the people in my life 24-7-365 is one of the greatest gifts of sobriety. Wake me up at 2:30 a.m.? No problem. I'm ready to chew leather. There was just absolutely no way I could help anyone with anything when I was in a coma from drinking.

Thank you for your amazing post.
Old 12-23-2021, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

What a great post, MissPerfumado! It's great that you've become the person you wanted to be. I know you and your new pup will enjoy the life you have created.
Old 12-23-2021, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're a great example Miss P! Keep doing the good work. Yes, it's a mess over there.
Old 12-24-2021, 05:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great Post!

The ability to be there for others at anytime time is one of the greatest gifts in my sobriety also.

Sounds like you got it going on. Keep up the good Work!
Old 12-24-2021, 07:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds hectic, MissP, but you’re nailing it.

We all have memories of “to do” lists being replaced by hangovers. Never again 🙂
Old 12-24-2021, 04:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for such an uplifting post Miss P.
Old 12-26-2021, 05:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee, Surrendered, Anna, advbike, fishkiller, Hodd and dustyfox! Thank you for getting where I was coming from.

Being dependable. It's such a revelation for the alcoholic.

Hope you and everyone here had a great Christmas.

Old 12-26-2021, 08:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

And next week, I have an appointment to pick up my new rescue pup from a shelter, right after Christmas, to share this beautiful life with.
This is so lovely to read. Another shelter pup getting the gift of a forever home. You made my day when I read that.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
This is so lovely to read. Another shelter pup getting the gift of a forever home. You made my day when I read that.
He's a COVID pup, least. He's a tiny gorgeous little thing. He's only ever had his humans with him 24/7 and now can't cope with being on his own as our lockdowns end in this country. I'll have to commit to working a program with him to reduce his separation anxiety. But I'm prepared to do it. I can't wait. Only 2 more sleeps until I pick him up from the shelter!!
Old 12-27-2021, 08:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Huge congrats on your rescue dog. We got a rescue puppy from Mexico in September and we love her so much we're getting another one in January. Greta and now Benny.