Notices

I went to the annual big cousin's party

Old 12-21-2021, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I went to the annual big cousin's party

Every year around this time, all the cousins on the Irish/Italian side get together for a big event. It's definitely a drinking event. There's gambling all night, rounds of shots after rounds of shots. I've been feeling very good about my sobriety so I went (we skipped last year because of pandemic). My wife wasn't even worried about me going. In the past, I've come home extremely drunk from this yearly event.

I didn't have a drop.

I actually had a lot of fun. I made food, played poker and dice, smoked cigars, and anytime there was a group shot I just put my arms around someone and didn't have any. I kept to my seltzer.

Normally there'd be a lot of peer-pressure around it, but I've been making it clear over the course of the year I can't drink anymore due to crohns. This is very true -- they've all seen me in the hospital over the last couple years getting it under control, but it's certainly only half the reason I don't drink. I am alcoholic. I think the fact that I have a health concern makes it a little easier on them? Or less uncomfortable about me not drinking? I don't know. Maybe it's a cop-out on my end, but right now I can live with that.

Either way, it was good. I was DD for my brother, brother-in-law and old college buddy who drove into town for it. I came home late and watched a movie - got up early and took the kids so my wife could sleep in.

I know some folks may think I'm flying a little too close to the sun, but I truly was not tempted to drink. If that ever changes or my AV starts getting louder, I'll reassess, but this one time it was really nice to be back with my cousins, arm-in-arm, singing family songs and just enjoying the company.

And I'm really proud of myself.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats!! Family get togethers, or bug parties that were once big time drinking events, are always tough. I'm glad you made it through. I will be looking to rack up another sober Christmas around family that does drink, but not like drank so it makes it somewhat helpful. Still not an easy time.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats Evoo. It's a tough time of year with lots of temptation everywhere. I honestly don't think i could handle the headaches after going a year without a hangover. Being sober is just to good to give up.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's the ticket!
Old 12-21-2021, 08:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Evoo, I'm so glad you had a good time and most importantly, that you stayed sober.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know the feeling of pride that comes with not having acted upon the the compulsion Evoo. I'm proud of you too, just as your wife and kids must be. To wake free from fear, ready to greet the day in any and all of its manifestations is the best feeling ever. Congratulations Evoo, you rocked the casbah!

Old 12-21-2021, 08:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
I know the feeling of pride that comes with not having acted on the the compulsion Evoo. I'm proud of you too, just as your wife and kids must be. To wake free from fear, ready to greet the day in any and all of its manifestations is the best feeling ever. Congratulations Evoo, you rocked the casbah!
What's odder still is that I really had zero interest or temptation in drinking alcohol that night. I had about as much interest as I would in a glass of carpet cleaner. Maybe it's the crohns and appetite issues I've been having, but I wasn't sitting there all night pining for booze like I used to in early sobriety or past/failed attempts. It could also be that I'm a year into sobriety and the idea of a hangover/withdrawal is so revolting to me I can't imagine going back? Hard to say, but I think it's part of the reason I had such a nice time.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done! You made the best of what could have been a tough situation and are able to remember all of it.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That’s awesome EVOO! Glad to hear it was a success in both not drinking and enjoying yourself. I had a similar experience with a family party last weekend and usually I’d get pretty blitzed. I can relate to your worries about leaning on the crohns as your reason for not drinking. In my situation I let them know it was due to our fertility struggles which is not that main reason at all just an added benefit of not drinking. I don’t see it as a cop out (although sometimes I get on my case about that) but I just see it as that’s what I’m comfortable sharing at the moment. It’s not really anyone’s business why I’m not drinking anyways and also it’s poison ☠️ so why do I even need to address it. 90% of the people don’t notice but the people who do are really the ones not comfortable with their own drinking.

Nice work! Keep it up!
Old 12-21-2021, 09:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evoo View Post
What's odder still is that I really had zero interest or temptation in drinking alcohol that night. I had about as much interest as I would in a glass of carpet cleaner. Maybe it's the crohns and appetite issues I've been having, but I wasn't sitting there all night pining for booze like I used to in early sobriety or past/failed attempts. It could also be that I'm a year into sobriety and the idea of a hangover/withdrawal is so revolting to me I can't imagine going back? Hard to say, but I think it's part of the reason I had such a nice time.
I remember feeling how odd it seemed not to be tempted or even not wanting to drink at a year into recovery. It's one of the many surprises that comes with sobriety. But it only seems odd. Actually, this is what happens when an addiction is broken, so it's not really odd at all. I found that realization to be empowering. And it's one of those recovery milestones that cannot be measured with a calendar, but every bit as important as ticking off another year.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not downplaying your health issues, Evoo, but maybe another reason you didn’t want to drink was because you’ve had that lightbulb moment. Take a bit of credit for your recovery. Sounds like you had a brilliant time too. It did sound a bit risky, and I hope you had an “escape plan” or will have in future, just in case of temptation. Well done 👍
Old 12-21-2021, 03:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great post!! Glad you had a good time, Evoo. Wishing you many, many, many more.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

FREEDOM!

Good Work!
Old 12-22-2021, 06:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm curious. You are sober and gambling with people who are doing shots.

Did you make any money?
Old 12-22-2021, 07:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think its fantastic that you were able to whoop it up without being dragged in and the strength of your sobriety stood by you. I wouldnt even consider it right now but I'm only a few months sober. I'll be having christmas dinner with an elderly aunt who likes a sherry this year so that will be the height of my temptation. Maybe next year eh? lol
Old 12-22-2021, 10:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing your courage, strength, and love for your family that has nothing to do with alcohol! You are an inspiration. Happy Holidays!