Notices

Sober For Over 4 Years

Old 12-20-2021, 06:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
nez

Being sober has changed some of my relationships with some people I thought were good friends.
My good friends like me just the way I am (sober) and have no desire to see me go back to hell (drinking). They support me 100%. Our relationship has only changed for the better, because I have changed for the better.

I guess I dont have anyone in my real life that can relate to me and being sober.
What are we...chopped liver?

Old 12-21-2021, 02:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 4 years sober! Drinking brings nothing but misery to an alcoholic 🙏
Old 12-22-2021, 06:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
My good friends like me just the way I am (sober) and have no desire to see me go back to hell (drinking). They support me 100%. Our relationship has only changed for the better, because I have changed for the better.

What are we...chopped liver?
i guess you are right, my true friends get it. I guess it makes me sad when a relationship comes to an end. I guess people you primarily drink with makes them uncomfortable when you no longer drink? They dont know how to act? I am grateful for the support here for sure! I just meant I wish I had like minded people to spend what very little free time I have with.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Four years is awesome!

I wonder if you can remember what led you to quit in the first place? Any temptation to go back to drinking makes me think immediately of the last year or so of my drinking when every time I drank, it was too much. I was becoming physically dependent. I had constant aches and pains, hands starting to shake from withdrawal, gagging in the mornings. My job performance was suffering abysmally. I was on the brink of disaster.

Those thoughts always make sure I focus on sobriety. It makes me want to stay sober no matter what. So I have concentrated on building a new life around sobriety, new friends, new routines, new pursuits, new goals. I have said goodbye to the old, blessed it on its way, it's no longer for me.

I wonder if you could look upon the farewelling of the old - including relationships - as part of the journey to something better. You are not the same person and that's a good thing!
Old 01-01-2022, 11:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

How are you doing, Sobriety2018?
Old 01-01-2022, 04:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I don't have any real friends who prefer me as a drinker. My real friends wanted me to stop, and still be friends.