Notices

UK Essex

Old 12-17-2021, 04:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

UK Essex

This site clearly saves many lives, reading the stories inspirational. I quit twice with the power of the comments on this site alone. It wasn't my relationship failing, nor my dad passing, but more the mental strain of Covid, for what it's worth I'm a truther and find what's unfolding very distressing.

I need to stop although it's my only friend right now, every circumstance warrants a drink, then a few more. I was three years clean and read and felt for those starting out, knowing it's possible. Yet here I am now as a starter feeling a million miles away from sobriety. It chips away at every positive piece of the fabric of your life...I know it I just have to respond to my inner voice.

Happy Christmas
Old 12-17-2021, 04:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Nods View Post
...for what it's worth I'm a truther and find what's unfolding very distressing.
This is likely precipitating your drinking.

Lots of people are struggling over their situation wherever they are located. It's been a difficult time for so many. But not everyone is drinking over it. I hope you find a way to cope with your distress.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nods - welcome

I think, no matter what we believe, this is not a time to let ourselves go under.
The only way any of us can fight for the world we love is be around and capable to fight for it.

D
Old 12-17-2021, 05:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Nods. I'm glad you posted.

The truther mindset - the belief that something dark is amiss, it is very distressing, we don't know what it is, and we aren't buying official explanations or reports - that mindset can act as your AV's dream playground. The deal is though, even if what is happening is the most concrete thing imaginable - a dented fender after a car accident - or if what is happening is something unproveable but nevertheless sends chills down your spine - none of it gets better or becomes more solvable or knowable with drinking. It all gets worse and our ability to deal with both the known and the unknown is highly compromised, if not completely destroyed, when we drink.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
Hi Nods. I'm glad you posted.

The truther mindset - the belief that something dark is amiss, it is very distressing, we don't know what it is, and we aren't buying official explanations or reports - that mindset can act as your AV's dream playground. The deal is though, even if what is happening is the most concrete thing imaginable - a dented fender after a car accident - or if what is happening is something unproveable but nevertheless sends chills down your spine - none of it gets better or becomes more solvable or knowable with drinking. It all gets worse and our ability to deal with both the known and the unknown is highly compromised, if not completely destroyed, when we drink.
AV's dream playground - I can really relate to that comment and appreciate your response
Old 12-17-2021, 06:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Nods, I could knock out quite a few posts about the events in the U.K., but all I’ll say on this site is people should turn the TV off. I’ve stopped paying for a TV licence, but I’m in a hotel a few nights a week, and breakfast TV is absolute trash. Sorry you’ve had a rough old time - and drinking again after 3 years must be a blow - and anyone quitting in the midst of all this Covid nonsense deserves extra credit.

Whatever’s going on, you know very well it doesn’t warrant a drink. I’m sure you’ve thought about why you drank again and taken steps to stop a repeat. Take it easy and keep posting
Old 12-17-2021, 06:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We're with you on all of this Nods.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have expereinced loosing sobriety after a period of years. It can be devistating to the hope we need to get sober. I had to believe it was possible to get sober and stay that way in order to quit. I know that you can stay sober again. The start is always the hardest and also part magic.

I read somewhere that we can stay sober regardless of anyone or anything. Today I beileve that.

I'm sorry you are having a rough time and hope some of the hope from this site will keep you sober today.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Nods. Me too - I had several years of sobriety when I agreed to have a glass of wine without even trying to stop myself. It took me years to get back to being sober, but when I found SR I knew I was no longer alone. After participating here for a few months I finally felt capable of quitting yet again - and for the last time. I'll soon be 14 yrs. sober, so I know the power of regular interaction here. I'm so glad you posted & told your story. We are with you as you get free.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome Nods and good luck.

Alcohol (or any other addiction) will always find a spurious reason to drink much like the ones you mentioned yourself. Being a sober truther is better than being a drunk one. Your three years without picking up is not wasted as it means you know you have it in you to do it. Stick around and once again, good luck.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi all of you, I don't know where in the world you are but your responses are like presents I won't receive this year from loved ones gone. If anyone out there wants to chat more I'd welcome any of your input and feedback on drink and this world we now live in 🎅❤️
Old 12-17-2021, 12:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It’s not a great time to be on a downer, Nods, but there’s never a bad time to quit. My other half is out the country so I’ll be spending my first Xmas day alone in 20 years or so. My parents died within the last couple of years, and I don’t want to visit family members and have to stay in a hotel. I do that a lot with work. You mentioned 3 sober years (well done retrospectively) which coincidentally is the milestone I’m about to reach. I don’t really want to discuss current affairs here, but I think the secret is to have a project or activity going on in the background which is “lockdown” proof. I’m sure you’ve noticed people buying stashes of alcohol in supermarkets, and the consequences of that are going to be grim. Hope you’re doing OK and don’t get tempted this weekend.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Nods! I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So motivational you lot......thanks. People's stories are phenomenal
Old 12-17-2021, 02:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Nods, welcome!

I've been down paths you're going down, driven by my natural curiosity. I concluded that, in this world today, the truth is like quicksand. Looking for it became a bewildering, disorienting, depressing hiding-to-nothing.

I realised that the biggest truth is love. Love is the best antidote to anything. It's not weak or feeble, it's the strongest power there is.

I started looking for common ground with everyone I came across. It's there in most everyone - the vast majority of us want a better life for ourselves, our families and our communities. I respected everyone's opinions and honoured their path. I began to live again in love not fear and confusion. I have joyful connections with everyone in my life. You can still retain your knowing of what you know or feel is true, but use it to sow the seeds of unity not discord. If you are driven to understand what's going on, I would say, please also remember that compassion is the highest path to wisdom.

All power and love to you.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nods - your 'inner voice' led you well. Here is where you will have so much support and encouragement.
There is a lot going on in the UK right now, and I have many opinions on it! But I wont bore you with those!
Tough times are being had everywhere and each of us responds in our own way, copes in our own way. Drinking as you already know is not the way to cope - nope you need to listen to that 'inner voice' for that is your truth. It will serve you well. Well done on coming back.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2021, 04:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nods, as a child I learned to not listen to or to trust my inner voice. I looked for direction outside of myself, not believing that my soul had the answers I needed. I just had to be quiet and listen. Don't let yourself be discouraged. You have 3 years of recovery to build on and you're right where you should be at this moment.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Have you been reading our stories in the Stories forum? Lots of encouragement there, lots of hope and accomplishment.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

There’s a wonderful sober life available. AA is very healthy in the U.K. and can be a very beneficial/essential recovery tool/program for many including myself to live a peaceful, contented, happy life. Stay sober one day at a time 🙏