Notices

What are/were your triggers?

Old 12-15-2021, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just came from the dentist and my mouth is numb, having some urges and I’m reminded that doctors trigger me. Also, storms and football (mostly the Super Bowl). I had over three months in January and there was a big snow storm on Super Bowl Sunday. Unfortunately, I didn’t use my tools and drank that day.

Back over 100 days now and I will not drink today. Curious if others have events that causes urges.

Be well and stay sober friends!
Old 12-15-2021, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things like the dentist I find quite traumatic so that would trigger me…I had the fear of being in pain once the anaesthetic wore off so there was that, too…

I resented having to do things like go the the dentist so that was another trigger.
If the treatment was good, I drank cos celebration, and if it or the dentist was not good, commiserations…

The anaesthetic may be doing a number on you too.

I’m not being flippant. Basically any given event or feeling I could have turned into a desire to drink.

Not drinking seemed the scariest thing of all - but in all those years of drinking I never realised just how capable and resilient I was.

Congrats on 100 days man - it’s good to ‘see’ you

D
Old 12-15-2021, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My triggers, at the end of my drinking career, were just the fear of withdrawals. The terrible anxiety that always disturbed me so.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I AM the Trigger.
My 'automatic' operating behavior is A + B = get F'ed Up.

Thankfully, I can be Free of 'ME'.

RDBplus3 ... now Happy, Joyous and FREE ... for the most part... My wife would say different, But I KNOW on the INSIDE, just How FREE I am, especially compared to how I used to be ... On The Inside.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In the first few weeks after I quit, everything was a trigger. Getting off work, any store that I had ever bought beer, wine, or liquor at, doing yard work, the thought of watching sports, fishing, all my friends, a good day, a bad day, everything. It was surprising how easily most triggers dissipated after I had conquered them though. Stress with family members is still a trigger after two years, but it's more a thought of escaping than it is a compulsion to pick up an 18 pack.
Old 12-15-2021, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Football season was only weeks away when I first got sober. I didn't know how I would get through it at first. For decades I considered it impossible to watch football without drinking.

Its amazing how much more of a level headed fan i am now. Instead of the wild mood swings fans see during the course of an average season I will just say, you are never as good as you think, you are never as bad as you think. Maybe the 12 steps help with this as well. Even though I'm not as crazy there is still something more pure about my enjoyment of football. Like when I was a little kid. Its funny when you have a sober mind and step back and see the wild swings of emotions from fans.

Now that i think about it may have taken a season or two or more to really feel more in control of my emotions. That first season was a lot better but my patience did get grinded down at times. Not that I don't get a thrill out of a win or disgusted with a loss. It just feels like my emotions aren't clouding my judgement like they use to. I have absolutely no formal affiliation with any college or pro team so its not like my opinion matters.... I just feel like I see football more clearly now.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My single biggest trigger is stress at work. During vacations and holidays, I don't even think about beer. Hopefully I find a better job soon.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Life 🙏
Old 12-16-2021, 12:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would say the only time I am triggered or think about drinking or want to drink is when I go out to dinners or events. I always get a little sad and wish I could have that one glass of wine with my friends but I know it’s not worth it.

The other big trigger for me in the first few months was cleaning. Drinking was a reward for cleaning and in my head “made cleaning more fun”. But now that trigger has faded.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Dee, I appreciate you man! I had an alcohol free beer yesterday which helped. I rarely have any, but they’re good to have in the fridge for whenever.

Oh yeah the “reward” after cleaning / yard work. I’m much neater and more organized sober.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hitting sober anniversaries is a big trigger for me as are airports/flights..weirdly social gatherings, events and non drink related anniversaries have very little effect on me now.

I have an early warning system for triggers...when I start noticing drinking in tv shows and movies..or alcohol on adverts then a have to put a little extra work into my sobriety.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I made everything into a trigger. Good stuff, bad stuff, calmness, stress.

I could turn it all into a drink.

For me, it was all mind games.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alcohol.

Without it, I'm good.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Life....me....stress/anxiety....it goes on and on!!
Old 12-16-2021, 08:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My triggers at first were a the hours from 3 p.m. - 7 p.m. With some sober time, the most common trigger for me became celebrations, milestones and momentous occasions. Being really happy makes me want to drink. I learned early to pay attention to those times and always do some extra planning. Escape routes. No being afraid to change plans. A really vigorous workout ahead of the event. Reading my extensive List of Consequences that drinking brought to me. Etc.

The act of thinking things through has worked thus far. I play the tape forward, as they say, and do some extra work.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
nez

I didn't have or need triggers to drink. I drank because the sun came up. I drank because the sun went down. Etc. Although I do have to admit that in early recovery hearing Jimmy Buffet music didn't exactly strengthen my resolve to not drink. I intimately knew and could relate to locations, situations, and lifestyle. My Buffet collection gathered dust for a long long time.

Today I have a
new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.
Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous/page 85
Today I play my Buffet collection.

Old 12-16-2021, 12:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cityboy, you sound like me
Old 12-16-2021, 12:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Whatever my addiction wanted them to be.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Simply being alive triggered me. 😂
Old 12-16-2021, 03:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

All of it. Happy, sad, mad, sunny day, cloudy day, family annoyances, work annoyances, a jerk in traffic, a wonderful meal, junk food,, excited, celebrations, any day that ended in -day, every day…….

Alcohol propulsed the compulsion