Notices

What are/were your triggers?

Old 12-16-2021, 06:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Friday night, and being alone (my husband works nights). I feel entitled to drink on Friday nights. It’s weird. Sorry for this.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

That makes total sense Pekelover. No need to apologize. A quick conversation with my own AV confirms that all alone on a Friday night with no possibility of interference from others appears to be the perfect time to drink. We get you Pekelover and we're with you. Stay sober on this Friday night!!!

This is a good thread JimiC. Thanks!!!
Old 12-17-2021, 10:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Pekelover, we all used to feel entitled to drink on Friday night, even though we were only dooming ourselves to a weekend of unproductive misery and actions that would cause guilt for years to come.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

- being in a 2 bedroom apartment alone. I would self-isolate and just drink with the blinds closed and shut out everyone. The only place I would go would be the store to grab horrible food and to the liquor store.

I went back to my apartment to grab some more clothes after getting out of in-patient, but I was only there for about 10 mins. I currently live at my dads place.

- Having Friday and Saturday off from work. One would think that would be fantastic, but I didn't have to be at work until 1 pm on Sunday, so Friday and Saturday's were rage times, at least for me. It would also take 2 days to recover and my performance and numbers dropped.

I'm also taking a break from seeing live music which really kills me. I know one day I'll be able to go again and enjoy it, but I know myself right now and I would go straight to the bar. I still listen to music every single day so at least I have that going for me.
Old 12-18-2021, 05:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

While actively drinking: the addiction. Everything was a trigger constantly. Could have not been able to distinguish.
Since I quit, less and less situations wake up strong cravings, but the addictive voice was very loud during weekends (like then I really deserved it like 'normal' people) and any other celebration. Now, it is very random but airports seem to stir the beast badly. Because of Covid i travel much much less obviously, so perhaps is the lack of practice, but it is still there. The moment I set a foot in an airport I want a red wine desperatedly. so every time I have decided to walk at least 7000 steps before boarding. It works.
Old 12-18-2021, 07:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I used to joke about this, but it was also true. What is my trigger? Opening my eyes in the morning. My own existence is triggering to me. I can’t even deal with the first thought of the day, so every subsequent thought just adds to that.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Driving home after work was a trigger. It was almost muscle memory that made me pull into the various stores I rotated through to get booze every night after work. It was a huge part of my recovery to break my urge to buy alcohol on the way home each night. For a long time I would drive by the various places I used to go to and flip them off as I drove past. Later in recovery I was actually able to walk down the beer aisle and take selfies of me flipping off the beer and then I would text it to friends. I don't do any of those things any more. I used to think about alcohol constantly and talk about it a lot, but now I really don't think about it at all.