Notices

Self Improvement/Sobriety Accountability Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self Improvement/Sobriety Accountability Thread

I'm on day 4. Withdrawal symptoms pretty much gone. It's 4am. I woke up at 2am completely wired after four hours of sleep. No chance of going back to sleep. But hey, Churchill slept four hours a night.

So goals for today
  • w1d1 of c25k
  • Shave, shower, put on nice clothes
  • Collect dole and do some healthy grocery shopping
  • Edit my CV and apply for one job
  • Sort out my socks/boxers/t-shirt drawers
  • Sort out my misc drawers
  • Sort out my wardrobe
  • Wash/throw away clothes
  • Read 50 pages of RR
  • Finish This Naked Mind audiobook
  • Alphabetize books (I don't have a lot)
Old 12-12-2021, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Excellent list! Well done on day 4!

You probably know the sleep takes a while to get back to normal. Took me about a week to get back to sleeping through the night and even then it was a little sketchy.
Old 12-12-2021, 08:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My sleep patterns took a few weeks to reset. But the sleep I get now is the best ever.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm decluttering, Freedom.

So much stuff to turf, including my cluttered mind. I'll keep my mind, but the rest can go.

Congrats on day 4.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just back from my run. I'm very unfit but I feel great now. Went at 4:50am so had the streets to myself. Bit creepy. Will go at 6am on Wednesday.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
Excellent list! Well done on day 4!

You probably know the sleep takes a while to get back to normal. Took me about a week to get back to sleeping through the night and even then it was a little sketchy.
Originally Posted by least View Post
My sleep patterns took a few weeks to reset. But the sleep I get now is the best ever.
Yeah I know. Just gotta hang in there.

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
I'm decluttering, Freedom.

So much stuff to turf, including my cluttered mind. I'll keep my mind, but the rest can go.

Congrats on day 4.
it's the best feeling turfing stuff.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just back from town. Extremely anxious the while time. I kept telling myself, if anything bad happens I'll buy alcohol. :/
Old 12-13-2021, 02:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Just back from town. Extremely anxious the while time. I kept telling myself, if anything bad happens I'll buy alcohol. :/
I keep telling myself that the worst thing that can happen is I would buy alcohol. Nothing badder than that could happen (touch wood)
Sticking with your list would be good 🙂
Old 12-13-2021, 02:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiter11 View Post
I keep telling myself that the worst thing that can happen is I would buy alcohol. Nothing badder than that could happen (touch wood)
Sticking with your list would be good 🙂
This a million time. The worst thing that can happen by far is to get back to consumption. I would rephrase this a bit perhaps: the worst thing that we can do. Buying alcohol and drinking it is totally within our control, until we decide to drink it.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

* First day of outpatient program today from 9-3
* Exercise
* Attend AA meeting tonight

this won't be changing much during the regular week as I'll be in the program from 9-3 which is what I need right now.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's still very early days. I got through the first week kidding myself that I'll buy alcohol at some point (with never really intending to) It's irony overload really because I spent half of the previous 40 years kidding myself I would quit. Whatever you need to do to get through is fine. Just dont drink and eventually you'll get to the point where you don't need so many mental gymnastics to get through. It's been two months or so for me and as I learn more, I employ different methods now. Having some momentum behind me encourages me to turn the corner from down and dirty self delusion to putting sustainable, progressive and meaningful methods and thoughts into action that I would never have dreamed were possible. I'm still very new at this but following a plan makes it easier and less likely to slip. Good luck mate.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I should also note that my sleeping was all over the place the first 2-3 weeks, not consistent at all. The first week of my inpatient I was waking up at 4:45 and couldn't go back to sleep. I improved that to sleeping until 6:30 when they woke us up to get meds/vitals.

I also switched taking lexapro which I'm taking for anxiety and depression to night time. I take one lexapro along with a 10 mg melatonin and I've been sleeping consistently from 9-roughly 6. This plus consistent exercise has been critical for me.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

FF, I'm impressed with your list. I find that keeping things organized at home, as you're doing, helps to calm my mind and focus me.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Fell into a bit of a depressive slump and took a nap. Just want to lie in bed all day. But I'm not going. I'm going to stay in bed the next hour finishing This Naked Mind, then I'm going to finish the rest of the list. Probably start with something I enjoy, like alphabetizing my books lol.

AV going a bit crazy, but at the same time drinking is the last thing I want to do.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That is a great list of things to accomplish today FF. But if you don't get to all of it, it will be waiting or you tomorrow. No reason to fret or to drink. If you need some extra rest today or in the coming days, take it.

Well done on Day 4!!!
Old 12-13-2021, 11:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have a bit of a OCD tendency and I had to let that part have free rein when I quit. It was a balance between allowing myself to be totally obsessive about tidying and exercising while reminding myself if I didn't keep it up, it was OK and not an excuse to drink.

I once had a friend over and kept her waiting for dinner while I folded clothes that had just come from the laundry. It's what my sobriety needed so I let it happen.

But yeah... I remember thinking there was a danger of throwing in the towel on sobriety if other things slipped ... so it is a good idea to remind yourself that you don't have to achieve the whole list each day.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hope you don't drink Freedom. Whatever would it achieve? Seriously?

Make list of the pros and cons of drinking. When I did it, the pros column sat empty.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There is nothing good to be gained by drinking, and everything to lose. Don't do it.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi FF, Just remember that you have made a life changing decision and you should be proud of yourself for doing that. That also means that it will take your body and mind some time to adjust to your new normal. The good people on here will support you while you do that each step of the way. For now though, the main thing is do not drink. You have some excellent ideas to distract yourself. Stick with them while you adjust. Youre doing great. You can do this.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
RAL

how are you feeling tonight FF?