Notices

Day 1 AGAIN - What can I do differently ?

Old 11-24-2021, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 AGAIN - What can I do differently ?

So I did 19 days and then gave in and had a 6 day binge. I received some correspondance concerning my son which indicated that he’d lied repeatedly about what he’d said to the Court (which found him guilty of coercive control against me). Also two friends who has been sick (non alcohol related) passed away within days of each other and it was very sad.

I’ve tried AA but found it depressing .. I might try Smart Recovery. All I know is I’ve got to do something different before this thing kills me.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 1 again for me too.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

What could you do differently? It could be as simple as posting here before you drink instead of after. Or it could be as drastic as rehab. How bad do you really want to quit?
Old 11-24-2021, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome back ICDT

I think you need to do two things - one is reach out here for help to not drink, before its too late... and the other is to detach - really detach - from your son.

You may have heard the Queen song Too Much Love Will Kill You?

I'm worried that your love for your son, and your inability to detach completely from him, is going to keep throwing up these unpleasant things you feel you can't cope with sober and end up killing you through your drinking.

If SMART Recovery is your thing please look into SMARTs Family and Friends resources and meetings as well.

https://www.smartrecovery.org/family/

ps I'm sorry for your loss - it's despicable how much of an opportunist the AV is to use anything to get us to drink.
We can deal with anything sober, but we have to have faith in ourselves to do it.

D
Old 11-24-2021, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you have been drinking. I know the situation with your son is really difficult for you, but I think if you can avoid any and all correspondence concerning him, it would be the best thing for you. And, I'm sorry about the loss of your friend.

What do you think you can do differently? Maybe posting here more often would help. Do you find that music helps your mood? I have a specific playlist I use when I'm feeling depression taking over.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Feliz88 View Post
Day 1 again for me too.
Hi and welcome back Feliz

how did the therapist and AA go?

D
Old 11-24-2021, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I been there many times Ican…. Fall seven times…rise up the eighth. Never give up. Come here and post, even when things are going great. Come here when things are not going so great. But keep coming here for the support you need to stop that AV from beating you.

Old 11-24-2021, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You've got this in you ICDT. I know you do. You have had stretches sober and the real you comes shining through. You still seem insistent on having contact with your son which is always going to be disastrous for you. And by "contact" I mean all the normal meanings of that word but also you simply listening to reports from others about what he has said or done, etc. I don't know who these people are in your life that carry these messages to your, but you need to rid yourself of them too.

You can do this and get on this healthy path for good with all of us other botched and bungled. If I can do it, anyone can.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I heard something today I've never heard before and it is sticking in my head. Alcohol is the devil's saliva. Think on that next time you want to pick up.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In order to stop drinking, you must take the option of drinking off the table completely. No if's, and's, or but's. No maybe's. Off the table.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Dee, and all, well no good I stopped seeing the therapist and AA online meetings are just not doing it for me. I was almost 90 days twice this year but now am just drinking daily. I am really depressed and lonely. I had sort of a break-up and am confused and drunk. I really want to quit and stay quit but really don't know what to do. thank you!
Old 11-24-2021, 05:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

As another person said, do not give up on yourself. You want to be sober or else you wouldn't be here. You can still give yourself that gift at any moment. I suggest aa, smart recovery, buddhist recovery, or any other program of recovery that speaks to you. You don't have to do this alone. Getting to 90 days twice is huge and not for nothing
Old 11-24-2021, 06:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

what LLG said

D
Old 11-24-2021, 06:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Ican, the thing you do differently is not pick up, no matter what. Sounds simple, I know, but it works. Don't need nothin' to do this, you just DO it.

Had to admit my daughter to hospital 2 days ago. She is really unwell, but does not know it. Prior to her hospitalisation I came really close to picking up because of the stress, but resisted, teeth clenched. It worked.

Having emerged from a very, very, challenging situation without acting on the urge to drink I feel so much stronger, ready to face the next challenge. And I'll be stronger again. I know it! Weakling to Wonderman. And all it took was Resistance.

Each successful challenge makes us stronger Ican. Up for the challenge? It's a good feeling to make it out to the other side.

You CAN Ican.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know the pain of it. I picked up after 17 days as I was coming back from my last relapse... it sucks.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Icandothis- Reflect back on what happened after you drank again. Did it make anything better? Did it fix even one problem? Covering up and numbing the pain does not make it go away, right? In the end, it compounds our misery because we STILL have those pesky problems AND we feel terrible for drinking. Play the tape forward, come post here BEFORE you drink and spill your guts to us. It feels better than drinking and it's a lesson in strength. You can absolutely do this. The only thing stopping us from success is our own doubts and fears. And we are WAY stronger than those!! Don't drink today.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are things ICDT?
Old 11-27-2021, 02:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good D,thanks for checking in ! Day 4 I think. I had a session with my therapist today who I love as he’s very direct. I read him out bits of the correspondance that had upset me … but then he stopped me and said “there’s nothing there you didn’t know ie that your son lies, now go and throw it in the bin ! “. So I did , and I feel much better ! :-) Onwards !
Old 11-27-2021, 02:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on Day 4, ICDT. Good job. And, I love what your therapist said.
Old 11-27-2021, 02:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 4!