Notices

Well, I'm here

Old 11-22-2021, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, I'm here

I'm 40 and decided that I (hopefully) had my last drink last night. Any suggestions for what to expect in the next few days/weeks?
Old 11-22-2021, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi!
I’m new here too. I decided to recently stop too. I’m keeping busy. In addition to work (I work remotely mostly 30-35 hours a week) I got up at six and ran seven miles. I’m reading two books (for book club) and I’m going to clean my floors tonight, lol. Just trying to stay occupied now. I might go out and run again tonight. (I have running lamps).
I’m going to catch up other friends tonight. I’ve neglected a lot of ppl because I’ve been drinking so much and blacking out.
I hope this helps
Old 11-22-2021, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. How bad your withdrawals are depends on what you're drinking and how much. Some get only anxiety, some (like me) get the shakes really bad and can't sleep. Some feel really tired, some feel really wound up.

But the w/d only lasts a few days to a week so the unpleasant part doesn't last too long.

I'd suggest you make a sobriety plan to keep you sober. Temptations are everywhere and you need a plan for how you'll deal with them.

I know you'll find lots of support and good ideas here. Glad you joined us.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome LP12 - great decision to stop!
I stopped in May after a very long time of drinking. A rocky few weeks but utterly worth it! I hope you stick with it.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to have you with us, LP. How great that you're taking action at 40. I was much older & so much needless damage was done. It's hard to dig our way out of the mess we make . Congrats on your decision.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm glad you found us. The first couple of weeks will probably be difficult, but it will get easier as time goes by. My suggestion is that changing daily patterns and routines really helped me get through the early days. I made a specific plan for the early evening hours which were hardest for me. Getting out of the house and walking a lot really helped. It's also a good idea to make a plan for how you will remain sober and cope with cravings that come along.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR LP12!

The first few weeks will be hard but not impossible. For most people the cravings peak in the evening. Having a displacement activity you can do then is a crude but surprisingly effective way of getting through the evening without giving in.

Good luck.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One suggestion I have for early days is to identify your craving window and track it by writing it down. What time does the first craving hit? How long does it last? At first 3 p.m. - 7 p.m. was when it hit hard. If you track that and write it down - and of course stay sober - you'll see that little bugger shrink each day.

Early on be kind to yourself and eat what your body craves. For nearly a month I ate little else besides raspberries, watermelon and cheesecake.

Don't fret about sleep either. It is usually an obstacle in early sobriety. And even if you are up all night, the mornings - tired but clear headed - are SO preferable than the way you feel this morning.

Be patient and congratulations on your decision. I sure wish I was 40 when I quit. I drank for another 14 years after I turned 40. Trust me when I tell you that is not a good plan. I've run the experiment.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’m doing brilliantly now, but when I quit coming up to three years ago, it wasn’t a good time at all. I’d quit before for a few weeks at a time and then relapsed, so the usual sleep issue wasn’t so bad. What I did feel, which was scary, was this feeling of anxiety and despair. I thought that restless craving feeling would come to me every evening for the rest of my days. Then I read that quitting alcohol was worse than quitting heroin (not that I know about the latter thankfully) and that didn’t help. It felt hopeless, but I stuck with it. The rest is … add cliches 🤣

I quit at 49. Plenty of time left to make up for wasted years. Forty is a great age to quit. There’s no bad age.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The first couple weeks are the hardest but you can get through it. For me it was important to remember you are making positive changes and be kind to yourself. For me that involved getting lots of sleep, eating whatever I felt like and trying to not dwell on past mistakes made while drinking. It was a particularly tough time because I felt like those around me didn’t understand what I was going through so check in here. We understand. And it does get easier every day, week, month that passes
Old 11-22-2021, 07:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Quitting seemed easy at 40, but it is a lie.

The addiction slowly ramps up the insanity. The mind will do anything to get the fix. Good, bad, indifferent.

The anxiety etc. weigh the person down to the point that they will have to curl up in a ball and wimper.

After that hell on earth, things don't get too much worse, but the hell on earth drags on.

The mind doesn't really heal as much as it gets used to the damage done and then things stabilize.

That is when the addict can see what is left of their sanity.

Sweets trick the brain. Hard exercise helps with endorphins and tires you out so you can sleep.

The world according to D122y.

You are in for the fight of your life.

Suffering and time.

Post 100 times a day, it helps.

Love always.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nice move.

I quit at 40 but relapsed at 14 months. One relapse this decade I can handle, anymore, I couldn't.

Best wishes on your journey. Make sure you have all your food, vitamins and juice up together. Walks and entertainment for distraction and lots of rest, whenever!
Old 11-22-2021, 07:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was 40 when I quit. It was the best decision of my life.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Deleted
Old 11-22-2021, 09:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to SR LP12.
My drinking started as soon as I got home from work so I had to change my routine, keep busy.
Being so used to having a glass of alcohol in my hand, I drank juice or water instead especially when the cravings were screaming at me.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard
As you will have read, the first few weeks are not exactly great... but support helps and you'll find a lot of that here

D
Old 11-23-2021, 04:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Coming here frequently helped me in the beginning.
Changing routine also helped. Avoiding things I did while drinking.

Read up on AVRT.

Every time you think about a drink or you may not have a problem that is just AV bs. It is an evil beast.

Lastly,
Do Not Drink No Matter What.

There is not 1 Good reason to drink.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

LP12 you are in the right place! There is plenty of good advice and support here- the early days/weeks are well spent reading and reading and reading and posting. Every question will be answered and you will find you are not alone in 99% of your experiences. Welcome to the crowd!
Old 11-23-2021, 05:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Old 11-23-2021, 02:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody. Day 2 now. Just got in from work and wanted one pretty badly. Got some pickle juice instead.