Number of withdrawals

Old 11-21-2021, 11:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Number of withdrawals

Just wondering how many serious withdrawals
everyone has gone through?
Old 11-22-2021, 12:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you mean tied to the bed serious withdrawals? I didn't have to do that, but I did have to hang onto my chair for a good while during the early cravings. But I only did that once, because once was enough, and I didn't want to do it again ever. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dirk

yeah depends what you mean by serious? I'd drink when I had money, sometimes I didn't have money.
I withdrew hundreds of times with no apparent ill effect.

The withdrawals got worse the more years I drank. My last one led into several mini strokes.

Some of us are lucky to survive some pretty hairy withdrawal situations, and others die before their time.

I'm glad I'm not tossing the dice on that anymore.
​​​​​​​D
Old 11-22-2021, 12:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not sure what 'serious' means here. As Dee says, serious withdrawals from alcohol may result in death or other serious irreparable damage. I still remember reading Dee's withdrawal story the first time and many others. From time to time I would stop drinking for a few days for whatever reason, and I would become reassured abut 'not being too bad' or better than 'real alcoholics' because I did not suffer 'serious withdrawals'. Just (and progressively) massive hangovers, shaky hands, brutal headaches, agitation, racing heart-beat, and anxiety.

The last time I quit i could hear voices and my daughter singing. I knew it was impossible, but it was absolutely real. It was so real I could only be totally scared when it was happening (my daughter's voice singing was a nice one actually, but I knew it was not her). It still terrifies me that I had done this to my brain. I am so grateful it seems to have repaired itself. Hopefully I will never ever be that scared in my life for something totally avoidable and under my control. Good luck.

Old 11-22-2021, 03:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been through medically assisted in rehab, 3 medically assisted at home (Librium) and some without medication. They do get worse each time. I also remember hearing voices once. They are very dangerous no matter what. I have someone I’m close to in her 2nd rehab this year. She has had at least 2 rounds of Librium assisted at home bouts this year also. The key to stopping is not having the first drink!
Old 11-22-2021, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Dirk,

I only did the withdrawal thing once. I think the withdrawal process is a bit like going over Niagara Falls with no paddles. We might survive it, but we might not the next time. Regardless though, we will endure injuries - some of them permanent injuries - each and every time we test those waters.

Have you done your first or latest withdrawal Dirk? I hope so.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You mean under medical care or just terrifying-to-the-bone?

One.

Lots of mini withdrawals over the years but nothing like the last time I quit. I seriously thought I was going to lose my mind or my life.

Once was enough.

Thank you for asking, it's good to remember that and re-confirm my decision to be sober. Not doing that again.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Enough of them to know that the more of them you have, the worse they get.

If you've managed to get through one recently, stay stopped.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nez

Enough serious withdrawals, that it should have scared me scatless; but it didn't because alcohol had it's hooks in me to deep.

The worst one resulted in a seizure from acute alcohol withdrawal during which, while walking down the sidewalk with my wife in an effort to walk off the shakes, I passed out. No warning. No nothing. I just went down like a ton of bricks with St. Vitus dance and nearly impaled myself through my eye socket on a wrought iron fence.

Those seizures can be fatal without prompt medical attention. My wife is an ER nurse but even she couldn't predict the seizure. Her quick actions probably saved my life. I got an ambulance ride, IVs in the arms, drugs to combat the seizures, a hospital stay, the whole nine yards.

Fear and/or knowledge of seizures/withdrawals could not keep me sober though because in less than two weeks, I was back to drinking.

Alcoholism might be cunning, baffling, and powerful; but it no longer controls my life.

I will always be an alcoholic, but I don't have to nor need to drink. I no longer fear a life with alcohol. I no longer fear a life without alcohol. Today, I walk around a free man.

Old 11-22-2021, 06:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My first one in January 2019 was the worst. Three days in bed thinking I was dying. I had very loud audio hallucinations during that time. I have relapsed a number of times since then and I’m on day 2 right now determined that this is the last time I do this. Any withdrawal sucks.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry should have been more specific.,I guess I consider serious withdrawals, I mean seizures, hallucinations, DTS. I’ve had 5 seizures over 7 years, but just the shakes and anxiety at other times
Old 11-22-2021, 04:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Countless, and they do get worse each time.
I get hypnic jerks at night in bed which stop me from sleeping for the first few days and theyre horrible.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank goodness I never had “serious” withdrawals because even the not so serious ones (night sweats, chills, insomnia. Shakes) were bad enough for me which I did multiple times. So glad I never have to do that again!
Old 11-22-2021, 07:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I lost count of the number of times I suffered withdrawals. They became increasingly worse, ranging from being able to get through them on my own with self-care, to being so bad I was no longer able to get through them without medical help. The very last time was in a hospital. I had a psychotic break and had to be restrained for several days and given anti-psychotics.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've had multiple seizures over the years. Probably more than a dozen. I've had both auditory and visual hallucinations. I've had stroke level blood pressure. Many many days with full body tremors. The shakes were a daily thing. I was pissing blood sometimes.
Hot/cold flashes, Fever, fluid in my legs and belly. I was dying. My last bender before I got sober for the last time landed me in ICU for a week. My neighbor found me convulsing on my sidewalk out in front of my house.

I know with zero doubt and 100% confidence-I will not survive another detox. So I gotta do whatever it takes to make sure I stay sober.

Looking back now-I can't believe I ever existed that way. It was so unnecessary.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My last withdrawal was medically assisted. That's bad enough for me- glad to say that is behind me now.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Countless, and they do get worse each time.
I get hypnic jerks at night in bed which stop me from sleeping for the first few days and theyre horrible.
I had that too. Nothing I would ever wish on my worst of enemies. My addiction counselor told me the reason for the hypnic jerks were that my body was in an almost constant state of withdrawal. Even when I was drinking it induced a neurological "anxiety" which is a big trigger for the hypnic jerks especially on the onset of sleep. I've never met anyone else who had it. It's good to know I wasn't alone. I had it for 25 years when I drank.

After I got released from the hospital, the went away almost immediately.
My dr says I'm hypersensitive to stimulants as well. Almost anything that's a stimulant can make them come back. Nicotine, caffeine, large quantities of sugar. Lots of stress-I gotta be super careful what I put into my body these days.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Psychosis, mini-strokes, seizures, hallucinations, and the absolute terrors... never again.

Please make this withdrawal your last with whatever interventions and changes to your life are necessary to achieve it. This stuff is life and death.

Good luck, Forwards.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
I had that too. Nothing I would ever wish on my worst of enemies. My addiction counselor told me the reason for the hypnic jerks were that my body was in an almost constant state of withdrawal. Even when I was drinking it induced a neurological "anxiety" which is a big trigger for the hypnic jerks especially on the onset of sleep. I've never met anyone else who had it. It's good to know I wasn't alone. I had it for 25 years when I drank.

After I got released from the hospital, the went away almost immediately.
My dr says I'm hypersensitive to stimulants as well. Almost anything that's a stimulant can make them come back. Nicotine, caffeine, large quantities of sugar. Lots of stress-I gotta be super careful what I put into my body these days.
Glad to know Im not alone too! It took me a while to work out what they were- Ive never discussed it with a doctor, and theres not an awful lot of information out there on the subject. Yes Im also quite sensitive to caffeine, although I do love coffee, and I generally try to keep away from sugar.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Too many that I don't want to remember. Those days are behind me.