Notices

Just keep learning

Old 11-20-2021, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just keep learning

Hey. Been a long time person here. Have learned a lot. My wife has stayed away from pressuring me, which has left me to deal with stuff on my own. I recently got very good news from my cardiologist. Left me open to drinking without worry about health. I am slowly finding out that I have enough bad experiences to think that I really have no reasons to drink. I think that I may have finally realized that I really do feel better not drinking and only see bad things occuring when I do drink. All the cliches are actually true, and they have been for a long time. I watch a lot of old shows and they show all the addiction truths that have been around for a very long time. I think that I may have finally accepted it. It has really helped that I have a wife that understands this and that I have so much history here that I understand so much more and have a lot more perspective. If you're not going to hit bottom, you really have to understand the addiction. I am almost ready to join another class and take it one day at a time and have a better enjoyment of retirement and grandchildren and such.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I hope you will join another class, bobdrop. Great to see you.
Wise & very helpful post. You sound ready to get free again.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you BD
I recently got very good news from my cardiologist. Left me open to drinking without worry about health.
I'm glad you got good news and glad that you realise that's a false premise...getting a good result now does not mean we will continue to get good results if we keep drinking....

If you've accepted all these things above BD, whats holding you back from joining another class right now?

D
Old 11-20-2021, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back BobDrop! Glad you're giving it another go. Sobriety is wonderful. My life is no longer chaos and drama, it's peaceful and contented. Glad you're back.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, BobDrop. Good to see you again.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dee. Things really are different now, but have gotten close to a few in previous classes and at the same time, can't deal with some of the daily drama in the classes. Probably is why the gender despairity. I always weigh my options versus the time I have left. With the good news on my heart, I just want to do what feels good, and that definately does not involve booze. I have been around long enough to know that if you look at things honestly, the things that relate to booze are not good memories. I only have bad memories in the front of my mind and really don't care what anyone else thinks. In fact, at this point, most everyone I know respects me for not drinking. I think current trends may be changing. If not wholely, they are for me and the people around me. Wish it it didn't take over 60 years to happen.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Steely. You are one of the ones that I felt close to. Glad you responded.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'd be very welcome in the Under One thread BD. Theres a good mix of new and older term members there.
You could also start a thread in the Mens forum if you particularly wanted a male perspective.

A drama free experience though? Unlikely, man.

We have a lot of members and a lot of them are in pain, scared or suffering some kind of post traumatic trauma.

You can definitely learn not to pick up someone elses drama tho

Use the place in a way that gives greatest benefit to you

D

Old 11-20-2021, 08:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Bob,
Happy you are back. We’ve been in several classes together and I hope I’ve never contributed to the drama you have felt there.

I’m over 9 months sober now and everything has changed despite nothing being outwardly different, same job/partner/house/etc but I’m my authentic self for the first time in 20 years. To be honest, it’s uncomfortable sometimes, I started drinking heavily as a teenager and I’m now 35 years old trying to get to know myself for the first time.

I’m not in a class at the moment but I still read and post. Do whatever keeps you on your journey, there are as many different ways as there are people.

Best Wishes,
hills

Old 11-21-2021, 11:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wonderful to see you back BD 😊 Congratulations on the positive health news. I've recently just started engaging on here again too, having reached my DONE point. I hope you find what works for you with the forums.