Notices

11 Months

Old 11-13-2021, 06:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

11 Months

On Monday I will be 11 months sober. I never thought I would get here and I never thought it would get easier but it has. The last month or two I’ve began to tell people “I don’t drink anymore” or “I quit drinking” instead of making up a million excuses as to why I am not drinking. In the beginning that statement was scary to me because it seemed so final and then people may hold me accountable to those words but now it feels so liberating. Just to say it how it is and know I’ve made that commitment and it doesn’t matter who I tell because it is just a matter of fact about me.

That being said I’ve also learned to set boundaries and know that I don’t need to say yes to events and occasions that focus on alcohol just to please others. Tonight I went to a party which I knew would have a lot of drinking. I told my husband that I wouldn’t be there late and that when I started to feel uncomfortable and wanted to leave I would. I had a nice time and when drinking started getting heavier and people were getting more tipsy I simply said thank you for having me and left. And no one cared and being sober has also helped me realize that there are other people not drinking too. It isn’t just me and not everyone drinks. At the beginning of my sobriety I felt like I was going to be the only one who doesn’t drink at events but now I notice many others just like me enjoying being social with no alcohol.

Self care has become a priority in my life. It feels so good to treat yourself with things other then alcohol. A nice meal, a new outfit, new personal care products/ services. The choices are endless in ways you can treat yourself and relax.

I’m still rediscovering myself again now that I’m sober, but I’m getting there. I know I’m rambling but the last month coming up on a year I just feel like I’ve started to turn a corner in terms of my sobriety. Being more open, not afraid and more concrete in my resolve to stay sober.

After my successful night I wanted to share how grateful I am with people who understand.

LoveDD
Old 11-13-2021, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A wonderful post LoveDD. I am so very happy for you!
Old 11-13-2021, 07:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 11 months sober and thanks for a great post too! 🙏
Old 11-13-2021, 07:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Oh I love your post! Big congrats on reaching 11 months sober. And thank you for such an encouraging and uplifting post.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post LoveDD and congratulations!! I can relate to so many things you said especially the being open to other people that you don’t drink anymore. I’m still very much plagued by the excuses for why I don’t drink so you gave me hope that one day ill get past that worry.

Keep going and I hope you are so very proud of yourself because you definitely should be!! ❤️
Old 11-13-2021, 07:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats DD
Thank you for sharing ❤
Old 11-13-2021, 08:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
under new management

How I enjoyed reading your post, LoveDD ♥

Congratulations on your 11 months!
Old 11-14-2021, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 11 months!

Come back and let us know when you hit the 1 year mark.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nez

Reading your post got my day off to a good start! Thanks for the reinforcement and congrats on your recovery.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bodhi02 View Post
Great post LoveDD and congratulations!! I can relate to so many things you said especially the being open to other people that you don’t drink anymore. I’m still very much plagued by the excuses for why I don’t drink so you gave me hope that one day ill get past that worry.

Keep going and I hope you are so very proud of yourself because you definitely should be!! ❤️
Thanks Bodhi! I don’t think the excuses and “white lies” are a bad thing in early recovery but when you do get to a point you can just say it how it is it does feel sooooo good! You’ll get there when you are ready!

Cheers,
LoveDD
Old 11-14-2021, 09:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Congratulations on 11 months!

Come back and let us know when you hit the 1 year mark.
You bet I will!
Old 11-14-2021, 09:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank everyone for your responses and encouragement!
Old 11-14-2021, 09:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Love DD! Congrats on 11 months. Nice post. I will be 11 months in a few days myself. I have yet to have gone to a party, wedding etc.. since I quit drinking. Partly due to feeling I am not ready and also because of the pandemic. I have done dinners out where friends were drinking and it was okay. The drinking on TV bothers me some and seems pervasive. Anyway, keep going! You are doing great!
Old 11-14-2021, 11:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 11 months
Old 11-14-2021, 02:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

11 months - something to celebrate & be proud of. Very happy for you, Love!
Old 11-15-2021, 07:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm so happy for you! I resonate with what you have written. Boundaries, self care, turning corners.....It is ALL worth it.
Keep on moving forward. Onwards and Upwards!
Old 11-15-2021, 11:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveDD View Post
On Monday I will be 11 months sober. I never thought I would get here and I never thought it would get easier but it has. The last month or two I’ve began to tell people “I don’t drink anymore” or “I quit drinking” instead of making up a million excuses as to why I am not drinking. In the beginning that statement was scary to me because it seemed so final and then people may hold me accountable to those words but now it feels so liberating. Just to say it how it is and know I’ve made that commitment and it doesn’t matter who I tell because it is just a matter of fact about me.
Yesss! LoveDD you and I actually would have around the same sober date, then. 11 months is the longest I've gone without alcohol since I was 19 years old.

Exactly the same on telling people. I haven't been so forward as to say "I'm an alcoholic," but I've told colleagues, friends, cousins, family - that I can't/don't drink alcohol anymore. I was so afraid of the finality of that. But I've realized that it's a huge part of letting go. I can see very clearly now that in past "attempts" I always had a "drink at the end of the tunnel" for my AV to latch onto. Kind of like, "I'm sober now so I can drink 'normal' later," or, "Everyone relapses. I'm sure I'll have a relapse at some point."

It's such a major shift when you expand the accountability out beyond yourself to the people you love and interact with most.

That being said I’ve also learned to set boundaries and know that I don’t need to say yes to events and occasions that focus on alcohol just to please others. Tonight I went to a party which I knew would have a lot of drinking. I told my husband that I wouldn’t be there late and that when I started to feel uncomfortable and wanted to leave I would. I had a nice time and when drinking started getting heavier and people were getting more tipsy I simply said thank you for having me and left. And no one cared and being sober has also helped me realize that there are other people not drinking too. It isn’t just me and not everyone drinks. At the beginning of my sobriety I felt like I was going to be the only one who doesn’t drink at events but now I notice many others just like me enjoying being social with no alcohol.
Right on. I used to think of most events as everyone being drunk, but when I quit - I was surprised to see that most people aren't getting obliterated off their faces. They're justing casually or not drinking at all, and nobody cares. All of the attention I thought people were paying to my drinking was entirely in my head.

Self care has become a priority in my life. It feels so good to treat yourself with things other then alcohol. A nice meal, a new outfit, new personal care products/ services. The choices are endless in ways you can treat yourself and relax.
Same .

I’m still rediscovering myself again now that I’m sober, but I’m getting there. I know I’m rambling but the last month coming up on a year I just feel like I’ve started to turn a corner in terms of my sobriety. Being more open, not afraid and more concrete in my resolve to stay sober.

After my successful night I wanted to share how grateful I am with people who understand.

LoveDD
I love this post and track with every bit of it.

The biggest milestone for me was I took some major steps to forgiving my past, alcoholic self. I think I externalized my AV so much in the beginning, that I started to loathe not my AV, but every part of my drinking self. Finding some empathy for that broken former me has been another big step in the healing journey.

Keep onward . When is your one-year date?
Old 11-15-2021, 02:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I love this. It’s also financially good to quit drinking, but we become better people and get out there and do stuff. I’m more than happy to spend the £2000 or so I would’ve spent a year on booze on fitness or courses, etc. Well done, Love DD. You’ve earned those treats.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

EVOO I love hearing from people who are at the same stage of recovery I am! CBS I know is also very close to my 11 months as well. I will hit one year December 15!