Notices

At my wits end!

Old 11-03-2021, 11:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
saoutchik

How are you doing Newfella? Keep in touch.

The NHS is barely functioning for anyone much beyond active emergencies so it might be as well to to formulate a plan for stopping without their input other than a clinical emergency.

I was drinking roughly the same amount (of scotch) and it was hard - a real roller-coaster for the first few days, but you just have to hang on to the knowledge that it's not forever. I had not suffered any huge withdrawal symptoms (other than insomnia and desperately craving a drink) so I quit on my own but it makes sense to let someone know if you can.

Thousands of people quit successfully, including on this website, you're in the right place and trying to do the right thing. Good signs. You can do this Newfella.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi kaily not sure what you meant by sr but i am exactly the same no help from gp, specific drug and alcohol team and few days ago a&e! I was so angry and got home so late i dident drink for the first time in 3 months, this is my 3rd night without drink and although im very proud of myself for doing it i am feeling very depressed, so many negative thoughts of just wanting to die. Iv been using diazepam for about a week and a small dose of zopiclone for about two weeks, i do think i can do this as iv gone past my perspective of my worst part (the first day) but who knows who the real me will be as iv been draining my sorrows for the last 3 months i dont even know who i am but feel hate to a lot of family for not being there when i asked for help.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

SR = SoberRecovery (i.e. this website)

Well done on 3 days without a drink. You may not feel great at present, with lots of negative thoughts and perhaps even anger, but if you take it day by day you will find that things will improve.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You are doing well Newfella. If you were going to go into withdrawals I think it would of happened by now. Yes I know you feel awful but unfortunately that is to be expected. Don't fight it, accept it.

As I sobered up all the feelings I had been numbing came flooding in and like you I didn't know myself. The one thing I was sure of was that I was proud of my accomplishment. It was/is something I had to fight hard to achieve.

Keep writing here or join the November class or better still do both. Once you want it enough it is achievable.

Well done you!
Old 11-03-2021, 01:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well done on 3 days, Newfella. You’ve had a right old battle lately so fair play to you for planning a way to get sober. Can I just go back to your first post. Drinking doesn’t help with sleep. Yes, when we first quit, we literally don’t sleep at all for days, and I’m afraid that takes months to settle. After a few weeks, you’ll sleep better than you’ve done for years.

The UK’s in a bit of a state right now. Nothing much is getting done, but let’s show people we can work things out. Doctors and counsellors can help with quitting, but it’s at least 90% willpower. Remember, you need to do some work too. Keep on badgering your GP, but in the meantime, keep up the good work. Three days is great. If you’ve any booze in the house, it has to go down the sink. Even I (34 months sober) wouldn’t dare have booze in the house.

Sorry you’re not getting the support you deserve. You’ll feel a lot more positive as the sober time builds up. No little “treats” as that ruins everything. I was amazed how much easier it was to quit once I’d stopped the “just one” mindset. Keep it up 👍

Old 11-03-2021, 04:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That is Inspirational advice Newfella.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Great work on 3 days, newfella. 72 hours is great- keep going.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well done newfella,
Old 11-04-2021, 04:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Free.

Hi.

The depression will lift.
It is a tough part, I find. Understand, please, that it is mostly chemical, and will subside a great deal within the next few days ( I find.)
I recall, several times, commenting that I feel more human at day 5.

The thiamine has helped me. We drinkers become deficient in it. I believe it had helped to reduce the shakes I was having. (I’m not a doctor, just my opinion)
It can be bought over the counter as it is simply vit. B1.

Be steadfast. You’ll be through the toughest part soon.

The good news is that you never have to go through it again if you hold on to recovery with all you’ve got. (continue to make ‘right’ choices, do the action required (read, confer with other recoverers daily, keep an open mind, learn)).

Best to you.
Hope to see you around these posts.

p.s. I don’t understand many of the abbreviations my fellow posters have been using. Please define your acronyms folks!

Old 11-04-2021, 04:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind words folks, youve probably helped me be more positive than any nhs, another night down guys, i know its early days but i dont see myself going backwards.

there is such little help out there for drinking and this is the first time i found this out and will never want to be in the position again.

Im 33 and never really wanted to be alive since about 16, just think its not for me, i had the best i could get out of life until i was 15 when i started drugs that messed my head up for good, its a shame but for the people out there who really do want to be on this planet please strive on it and enjoy yourself
Old 11-04-2021, 05:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you'll probably find, like I did, that teenagers not gone newfella - he's just buried under a lot of fear, bad experiences and addiction.

I think you can absolutely enjoy life again.

Our bodies and brains may be damaged but joy is still possible man.
It might take 3 or 4 months or sometimes more... but laid against the amount of time we drank or drugged, I think that's a pretty good deal?

Give it a try
Old 11-04-2021, 05:15 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Wish I’d had your sense and seen the light at 33, newfella. Stick with it, sit on your hands and ditch any booze. In a few weeks, you’ll feel way better. At 33, you can do so much great stuff now you’re sober.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Keep going Newfella you are doing well.

Be aware that the cravings and AV - Alcoholic Voice, will try all sorts of tricks and bargaining deals to get you to drink. Ignore everything and keep repeating to yourself I do not drink, no matter what. Keep counting the days with the pride they deserve.

As Hodd said, 33 is a great age to get sober, you can turn your life around.

Old 11-05-2021, 04:44 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yes kailey, i think its one of the hardest but my useful things todo when you get any cravings completely block that thought and think of something else, took me a couple of days and im slowly able todo it.

i will say i havent been drinking all my life, its been on and off with other drugs anything to cheers yourself up.

but this was the first time i drank so much every day for 3 months straight, iv put on 3 stone and wasted Atleast £1200 on booze and probably the same on takeaways, and that took me a few years to save
Old 11-05-2021, 05:14 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Keep it up Newfella, You are doing great! I know it is hard but it is so worth it.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:52 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm cheering you on all the way Newfella.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:44 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newfella View Post
Thanks for all the kind words folks, youve probably helped me be more positive than any nhs, another night down guys, i know its early days but i dont see myself going backwards.

there is such little help out there for drinking and this is the first time i found this out and will never want to be in the position again.

Im 33 and never really wanted to be alive since about 16, just think its not for me, i had the best i could get out of life until i was 15 when i started drugs that messed my head up for good, its a shame but for the people out there who really do want to be on this planet please strive on it and enjoy yourself

Well done on staying sober! You have done that by yourself so be proud. There isnt much help on the NHS and I have found that my GP surgery don't really know how to help with addictions.

My brother has been struggling with a drug addiction for the past few years. He took an overdose and spent 12 hrs at a and e to be refered to a place called Prescott house. They messed with his medication and told him to pick up a new prescription only to find out that they weren't allowed to do that and he was left without his meds for nearly 2 weeks because of that. I think the problem really is lack of communication between services sometimes.

I too lost the will to live by the age of 15. I took an overdose and ended up in intensive care for over a week aged 15. Some of my problems probably stem from early childhood. You have to remember that there are good days and happy memories to be made. You deserve to be happy just as much as anyone else. You may have to work harder for it but you will find it. Just keep going no matter what. You are not alone when it comes to finding life really hard. You will be surprised just how many people that look fine on the outside are so sad on the inside. I will be thinking of you. You are doing well. Please keep it up and give yourself a chance!
Old 11-06-2021, 02:24 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I know your post was to newfella contella, but it really got to me.

Newfella, you have done ever so well stopping yourself. I found even when you eventually get the services provided by the NHS they are beyond shoddy. Long waits between appointments and promised help that never quite materialises.

My young niece (14) is in dreadful trouble. My sister, her mother died Xmas Eve last year, suddenly.
She had had a bit of bother with her mental health before then. Now she is cutting herself. She has been in hospital twice with overdoses (paracetamol, the worst thing to overdose on ever!)
Her father has gotten her the services that are meant to help. But do little good.
I wish we could get through to her that life is worth living, she is young, things won't always look so black.
I hope you are at the point you see this newfella 🙂

Old 11-06-2021, 03:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newfella View Post
i drank so much every day for 3 months straight, iv put on 3 stone and wasted Atleast £1200 on booze and probably the same on takeaways, and that took me a few years to save
I’m not saying don’t worry about the three stone, but you know exactly where it came from (booze), and speaking as someone who lost about 3 stone, I can tell you once you remove the booze the weight will drop off too, within reason, as long as your diet is reasonably healthy too. I wouldn’t try and diet right now, just worry about the alcohol.

As for the £1200, I’d like to say you’ll start saving money now you’ve quit, but you’ll find other interests. I spend money on gym or training courses now, but I reckon that’s money well spent.
Old 11-06-2021, 07:32 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiter11 View Post
I know your post was to newfella contella, but it really got to me.

Newfella, you have done ever so well stopping yourself. I found even when you eventually get the services provided by the NHS they are beyond shoddy. Long waits between appointments and promised help that never quite materialises.

My young niece (14) is in dreadful trouble. My sister, her mother died Xmas Eve last year, suddenly.
She had had a bit of bother with her mental health before then. Now she is cutting herself. She has been in hospital twice with overdoses (paracetamol, the worst thing to overdose on ever!)
Her father has gotten her the services that are meant to help. But do little good.
I wish we could get through to her that life is worth living, she is young, things won't always look so black.
I hope you are at the point you see this newfella 🙂
Hi Jupiter, I am so sorry If I upset you. I am just worried that newfella is giving up. There is hope and help out there and the bad days don't last forever. They can change for the better at any moment.

I am so sorry to hear about your niece and losing her mum. I don't know if you have heard of three dad's walking? They have a charity called papyrus. There is a papyrus helpline. They may be of some assistance and can point to the right services and more intensive care to help prevent another tradgedy. She must be in so much pain and not know how to actually deal with it so self harming might be a compulsion to just release some of that pain. I was given a book called 'chicken soup for the teenage soul' when I was younger. I don't know if those books are still out there but might be helpful to her so she can know she isn't alone with those feelings. She just needs to find ways to help manage those feelings and thoughts.
Stay strong Jupiter x