SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I can either keep trying or give up (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/456105-i-can-either-keep-trying-give-up.html)

AC82 10-31-2021 07:45 AM

I can either keep trying or give up

Today I choose to keep trying and fighting for sobriety. I blew September and October by drinking pretty much every day. I'm not going to focus anymore on the negative, but focus on what I'm doing that is positive in this moment. I'm on SR and posting up. I am committed to not drinking TODAY. I am going to the grocery store in a little bit and I will NOT purchase any alcohol. I will take my son to the park and enjoy this gorgeous fall day and make sure he has a happy trick-or-treating this evening. I will continue reading and educating myself on my addiction and come up with my next course of action. Not going to try and think too far into the future and overcomplicate things this morning. I will leave at that for now and not pick up a drink today. Thank you everyone for being here and taking the time to read my little post.

silentrun 10-31-2021 08:21 AM

Good choice! It sounds like you have some nice, memory-worthy things planned for today. Missing it drunk would be such a waste.

Mizz 10-31-2021 08:22 AM

Wonderful! We have TODAY.
You can do this. I believe in you.

least 10-31-2021 08:31 AM

Keep trying, never give up! :hug:

advbike 10-31-2021 08:40 AM

If you keep relapsing, perhaps additional steps are needed.

Sometimes group meetings help, by adding fellowship and positive reinforcement. Or working a specific type of recovery program that keeps us focused. And of course exercise - I find it essential to control my mood and reduce cravings.

Whatever you do, don't give up and keep posting here!

Just some thoughts - enjoy your wonderful Halloween day!

AC82 10-31-2021 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by advbike (Post 7719412)
If you keep relapsing, perhaps additional steps are needed.

Sometimes group meetings help, by adding fellowship and positive reinforcement. Or working a specific type of recovery program that keeps us focused. And of course exercise - I find it essential to control my mood and reduce cravings.

Whatever you do, don't give up and keep posting here!

Just some thoughts - enjoy your wonderful Halloween day!

Oh trust me, I've been through additional steps many times over the years. Rehab twice, counselors, AA in-person and online, sponsors, working steps, journaling, medication to curb cravings, etc. etc. That's why it is so hard to keep picking myself back up and dusting myself off after wasting so much MORE time under the influence. But, again, right now I'm focusing on just today. I can worry about tomorrow when tomorrow gets here. I made it back from the grocery store, walked past all the wine and beer, which I am out of and would have normally loaded up to replenish the supply... so I will take that small victory. Can't drink it if I ain't got it! Right? Ha.

Free2bme888 10-31-2021 09:57 AM

Good for you, AC a welcome back 🥰

Hevyn 10-31-2021 10:00 AM

AC82 - Not a little post - it's a very big deal. I'm so glad you made this decision.
I drank for decades & it was part of my life for so long, I never imagined being without it. Yet it wasn't enhancing my life in any way - just the opposite. It had become toxic & was destroying my spirit. You can get free & never rely on it again. It takes some getting used to in the early days - but you will feel better as the sober days add up.
Congratulations on being sober today! :)

Anna 10-31-2021 10:17 AM

Yes, be proud of the small victories because they will take you in the direction you want to go. :)

Hodd 10-31-2021 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by silentrun (Post 7719402)
Good choice! It sounds like you have some nice, memory-worthy things planned for today. Missing it drunk would be such a waste.

You got there before me. AC’s day today sounds wonderful. Autumn/fall is a brilliant time.

AC, none of us got it right first time. You should treat a relapse with the seriousness it deserves and not drink every day for two months. You missed out on the good times in September and October. Whatever you’ve been doing isn’t working, is it? Is there anything you think you can change? Can you get a hobby or activity that means you won’t be able to drink, for example?

Robbie64 10-31-2021 11:09 AM

Welcome back AC. Keep trying, it's the best way to achieve sobriety.

freedomfries 10-31-2021 12:09 PM

It's great you still have some fight in you

Dee74 10-31-2021 03:51 PM

You can do this AC :)

D

Alpine 10-31-2021 05:42 PM

AC you can do this!

RecklessDrunk 10-31-2021 05:51 PM

Just keep doing the next right thing.

I think the reason you don't want to give up is you know that drinking sucks. It probably didn't always suck, it didn't always suck for me. It became a case of diminishing or even negative marginal returns. It stopped working. It became less and less good and more and more bad. Only insane dreams of the way it use to make us feel can trick us into picking up a drink. Any thoughts of people like us picking up a drink are just moments of insanity. These cravings that come, these moments of insanity pass much quicker then a hangover. Not just the hangover but a drink also resets the obsession to drink back to full strength.

KTB5000 11-01-2021 06:03 AM

^^^^^^^ So true Reckless

AC hang in there, and shut your mind down everytime it tries to even consider having a drink, just for today. :grouphug:

UNITE4STRENGTH 11-01-2021 11:01 AM

I really like your attitude. I wish you every success for the coming days 🙏🏻☀️

AC82 11-01-2021 02:22 PM

I wish I could maintain that positive sober-minded attitude. Drinking has become such a part of my daily life, I am still picking up as I am saying "I don't even want this". It's insane.

I didn't make it through last night and I was super depressed/angry today. I can't even make it ONE f'ing day! Pathetic.

Just got off work and already have a beer in my hand. I don't even know why I'm bothering to post this. Just feel like I need to be honest.

Alpine 11-01-2021 02:53 PM

You CAN make one day, just believe in yourself and try to keep yourself busy/distracted. When I start to get cravings I stop what I am doing and go do something else whether it is a hobby, cleaning, going for a walk, etc. It has helped me. It has been tough as I was to that point that I was drinking most of the time during my hobbies, cleaning, surfing on the computer so in my mind I associated all those things with drinking. It has been a challenge but seems to be getting easier. Plus the cravings only last about an hour or 2 at a time. I no longer have any alcohol in the house. Keep trying, it is so worth it. I was so darn depressed and getting worse by the day while I was drinking. My attitude since I have stopped has done a 180. You got this AC!!

silentrun 11-01-2021 05:13 PM

I remember toward the end begging myself not to turn into the liquor store on the way home from work. I always did until I didn't. Its a horrible place to be.