Notices

New here wanting to stop

Old 11-03-2021, 05:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome to the posting side and congrats on 1 week, that's an excellent start.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congrats on a week, that’s a great start!
Old 11-04-2021, 03:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

A week is a great start so don't give up. The hardest day is day 1. Just be very careful when the boredom sets in for me that was the hardest part of staying sober. You will find you have so much more time in a day so have a plan to full up this time. I walked for hours at a time to keep from drinking and so far it has worked.
You can do this!
Old 11-04-2021, 05:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Great to have you here... well done on week 1. SR is a touchstone for me where I post every day at least once. Actually physically taking the time and effort to post is a reminder for me of why I'm doing this. It's something tangible that I have made as part of my daily routine. Try it. Good luck buddy.
Old 11-09-2021, 03:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well I didn’t make it two weeks. Was close. It’s been a hectic week. Got into a car accident driving my daughter to school in the morning, no booze involved thank god. So my car is gone, in the shop.

Im just venting, being a single parent sucks. I’ve done it since 2008, I was briefly married, but the blended family dynamic and my drinking destroyed that, especially during Covid. It got out of control.

I will say, long walks and sober recovery podcasts have helped a lot. In case anyone isn’t aware. I find them very useful, and humbling.

I honestly think alcohol should be illegal, yet I constantly see commercials of people prancing around having a good time. If they showed the hidden dark side, the destruction, I think society would view it differently.
Old 11-09-2021, 03:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Anyone live near the Philadelphia area, cherry hill NJ? Some good meeting places to recommend?
Old 11-09-2021, 03:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aerogrd View Post
Anyone live near the Philadelphia area, cherry hill NJ? Some good meeting places to recommend?
https://aa-intergroup.org/meetings
Old 11-09-2021, 03:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you relapsed, but it's good to see that you're back and working on your recovery again. Maybe you could come up with a plan for what to do when you are tempted to drink again? It does get easier as time goes by.

A lot of people can drink alcohol without any problems, so I don't think the majority of people would agree that alcohol is evil. Of course, for those of us who become addicted, it can easily destroy us.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry for your accident aerogrd - hope everyone was ok.
It would be great id all we had to do was make a decision to quit and that was it.

Unfortunately we really have to work at it, and make the changes and do the work so that we stay sober.
It's a lot of effort, but the load does get easier.

We may live in a world of alcohol - but we don't have to buy the advertorial or societal BS.

We can deal with whatever ups and downs happen to us and stay sober

Originally Posted by aerogrd View Post
Well I didn’t make it two weeks. Was close. It’s been a hectic week. Got into a car accident driving my daughter to school in the morning, no booze involved thank god. So my car is gone, in the shop.

Im just venting, being a single parent sucks. I’ve done it since 2008, I was briefly married, but the blended family dynamic and my drinking destroyed that, especially during Covid. It got out of control.

I will say, long walks and sober recovery podcasts have helped a lot. In case anyone isn’t aware. I find them very useful, and humbling.

I honestly think alcohol should be illegal, yet I constantly see commercials of people prancing around having a good time. If they showed the hidden dark side, the destruction, I think society would view it differently.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and Anna for the replies. Your right, we have to constantly work at it. Out of all things I’ve accomplished in life, this is the most difficult by far. Why, because it’s everywhere. I was binge watching that show Billions, every episode booze is there. Football games, etc.

I never drank in college, it wasn’t til I started my job, it was expected there in that culture. I’ll leave it at that.

Being sober is a lot better though. It’s sad, unfortunate if you will, that it takes so much effort for some of us.