Notices

Head fog

Old 10-27-2021, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Head fog

Hey. So it’s been 5 days sober and today my brain just would not focus. I couldn’t concentrate at work and kept having to go to the door for fresh air to snap me out of a zombie like state so I could function at all. Feels like my brain is full of cotton wool. I’m sleeping fine so wondering if this is some kind of weird withdrawal symptoms and if so, I hope it doesn’t last. Feeling good about the 5 days though and even bought a bottle of champagne for my friends birthday and wasn’t too tempted to pick up something from the booze shelf for myself (well not as much as I feared I would be). Hope you’re all doing ok x
Old 10-27-2021, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It’s pretty common nosecco. I abused mind and body for many years… it takes a little while for them to heal, but they will.

I was pretty woolly for my first 30 days… some people find the timeframe is shorter than that, while others take longer, but you will get better

As for the bottle…I’m glad you weren’t too tempted but I think you can make it easier on yourself without those little tests, at least for awhile ?

D
Old 10-27-2021, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee74. It’s reassuring it’s normal! Feels like the start of dementia or something. Just goes to show the damage alcohol does all over the body, not just liver x
Old 10-27-2021, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had brain fog for the first month on and off, it was my body dealing with the withdrawal of alcohol and healing itself. It does go and is just part of those first few days and weeks. It is worth it to know you have your life back!
Old 10-27-2021, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have brain fog all the time still, after 6 months, and it scares me enough that it's one of several reasons why I'll never drink again. But I also drank hard for about 36 years straight so I'm sure that was way more than enough time to do some pretty good damage. Alcohol is just pure poison. I haven't given up that it won't eventually clear up.

I hope you find that it goes away quickly.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a big adjustment for body, mind and spirit when we stop drinking. As others have said, brain fog is pretty common in the early days. I think I found more clarity after a few weeks. Good job on Day 5!
Old 10-27-2021, 04:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It definitely sounds like brain fog. It's described on one alcohol addiction website in an article on "alcohol withdrawal brain fog" as:
  • difficulty concentrating
  • trouble remembering names
  • racing thoughts
  • mental fatigue
  • lack of focus
  • fear that you’ll always feel this way
Other than the remembering names bit (I'm rubbish at remembering names and always have been) the rest of it pretty much sums up how I am and how I feel in the first two weeks after stopping drinking.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Brain fog is pretty common in the early weeks of sobriety. Eat and rest well, with moderate exercise. It will get better.