Notices

That feeling of being sad

Old 10-26-2021, 12:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

That feeling of being sad

I had that feeling yesterday. I drank some wine, which led to a bottle of wine and then i dont remember. Lost my jacket and phone. Feels like the world fell apart.

how do you deal with that sad feeling when it comes up?

thanks. I feel like a lousy waste of space.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by 007 View Post

Some things are worth feeling sad about. You just have to sit with those feeling until they go away.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Feeling sad is part of life. How we deal with it is up to us however. Sharing how we feel with others is one way to deal with it, another is to write it down. Drinking is merely an attempt to escape, which is never possible and usually makes things worse.

Taking a walk, reading a book, getting help from a therapist, meditation, mindfulness, etc. are some of the ways I deal with sadness, fear, anxiety.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that there will always be sad feelings that come along. It takes some time, but you can learn to accept all the feelings that you will experience. I hope you're ready to get back to your sobriety.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I try to remember that everyone feels sad at some time or another.
It’s nothing to be scared of, and in all likelihood it will probably disappear as quickly as it came.

I try to get some sun, and keep busy.

Drinking on it will only make you feel sadder for longer I think.

D
Old 10-26-2021, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can sooo relate to this 007 ☹️ The sadness thing is like a big wave of depression that falls on me like a heavy weight. It passes but seems to last awhile.

Hope you feel better. ☹️
Old 10-26-2021, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I try to do something entertaining such as videogames, watching a movie, reading a book, or my favorite going to the gym.

so I'd say try to keep yourself entertained. Anything to get your mind off of what is bothering you.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I've been sad since I quit drinking but I haven't had that "feeling of sadness" since I stopped so I'm lucky I guess. Even in early recovery, I would have waves of anger and sadness but never that feeling of hopelessness. I still remember feeling like someone threw a blanket on me and I was just down.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Part of not drinking is feeling all the feelings. Sometimes it helps me when I sit with the feelings and try and figure out where they are coming from. Even if I can't control the reason, it helps to know why I'm feeling a certain way, and as others have said, it doesn't last long. Drinking never makes it better, from my experiences, because I tried that too, and it didn't end well.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VikingGF View Post
Part of not drinking is feeling all the feelings. Sometimes it helps me when I sit with the feelings and try and figure out where they are coming from. Even if I can't control the reason, it helps to know why I'm feeling a certain way, and as others have said, it doesn't last long. Drinking never makes it better, from my experiences, because I tried that too, and it didn't end well.
Yeah it never ends well. Drinking for me takes pain or sadness away but it's only temporary. Once I sober up it would still be there and most of the time the pain and sadness were caused from drinking in first place. It is a vicious cycle.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sober style

It's important to not view yourself as a passive victim to these thoughts and feelings that arise. This bad feeling is a feeling, it has no power by itself, it's almost literally nothing. You on the other hand, you're not nothing. You're present to be able to see that feeling arise, and if you cultivate the skill to sit and observe this feeling, you will recognize that feelings of all types come and go and you can act on them or not as you see fit. Meditation can help you see this type of thing, it's helped me. I used to view my bad feelings as trapdoors that I would fall thru and be totally derailed by, but they were just bad feelings. I still get them but I don't go running for the alcohol now, I recognize the feeling and remember that it have no power over me whatsoever, that it's just a temporary visitor anyway. Feelings come and feelings go, but I'm still here observing them and looking out for myself and my health, doing the right things.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sometimes I feel sad and don't know why, but as others point out, it passes. I've never bothered to understand this. I suppose it's from my past, and my overactive subconscious is processing something. Sobriety includes both good and bad. After we sober up, we are still human.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life......." - Nichiren Daishonin
Old 10-28-2021, 05:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have often felt sad and felt like a big fat loser and waste of space like you had sad. I have been working darn hard to look at the positives in my life..as small as they may be. I have recently been writing them down which has helped. I also have been reading and posting on the gratitude thread. i have found when I write down all the little positives going on it has helped me refocus. Someone on SR wrote a quote " You fall down 6 times and get up 7" .Hang in there.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
nez

Whenever sadness creeps in, I just acknowledge it as being sadness. Okay, so I am sad. I don't run from it. I don't try to deny that I am sad. I don't try to numb it. It is a human emotion. I don't run from being a human. I don't try to deny that I am a human. I don't try to numb the fact that I am a human being. I am just a human that is "being" sad at the moment.
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. just don't serve them tea. Shunryu Suzuki
To move forward and allow new thoughts and feelings to come in, I help someone else. Doing so, gets me out of self and makes the life of the person I help, possibly a bit better and easier. If nothing else, they realize that they are not alone. At the same time, it helps me to come to the realization, that I am not alone either.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are things now 007?
D
Old 10-29-2021, 12:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I had that feeling yesterday. I drank some wine, which led to a bottle of wine and then i dont remember. Lost my jacket and phone. Feels like the world fell apart.

thanks. I feel like a lousy waste of space.
I’m sitting here right now feeling lonely, sad and dejected. What am I doing? I’m reading posts on SR, and watching vids on YouTube. It’s not helping much, but at least I’m not drinking.