Notices

admitting i have a problem

Old 10-25-2021, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

admitting i have a problem

Hi i have been drinking moderately since stopping a full blown addiction to heroin, crack and all kinds of prescribed medication but because i felt drinking was a lot less destructive then my previous life i was better. The problem is i have been married with two children and although there hasn't been any really bad things from drinking i have missed out on a lot and my wife and children have also. I have tried to think alcohol has enabled me to get over the experiences i had and got me through college, uni and marriage and children but now reality is setting in and i know i have wasted this time and it is now hurting my family and myself more as time goes on. I know that being sober opens up life much more then drinking but for some reason i can't help doing it time and time again. I joined this site a couple of years ago and never posted but i am going to really try this time and try to stop bullshitting myself. I am drinking wine at the moment and i know it isn't going to be easy but my sister said 50 could be the new beginning. If i don't do this i am going to lose everything and die a lonely death and feel depressed and anxious for the rest of my life..This is my first post to try and push yself further into sorting this **** out. Thanks you to anyone who takes the time to read this
Old 10-25-2021, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome back, Daibach - I' m so glad you decided to post. Believe me, we've all been through the same sort of thing. I'd been drinking 30 yrs. when I found SR.
I felt instantly relieved when I came here & wrote my first lame little post. I wasn't quite ready to quit, but it didn't take me long to open up here & find the courage to change my life. I was able to get free and stay that way. Never thought I could live without it, even though it was destroying me. You can do this, Daibach - we will help.

Old 10-25-2021, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome daibach

support really made a difference for me - and you'll find a lot of that here...
it was great to finally be among people who understood.

D
Old 10-25-2021, 03:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Diabach. I recently quit drinking, at age 52, and also regret the wasted years. I just recently had some pretty severe anxiety over this, which apparently I had been suppressing, and had to confront these feelings head on. I posted about them, here on SR, and other members lent me advice, wisdom, and support that helped me sort it out. You have come to the right place and should stick around.

Here's the thing: the past can't be undone but you still have time to make amends to yourself by living the remainder of your life as fully as you can. It is certainly what I am trying to do now. It is far from too late to be the best father and husband you can be.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sobriety is like a merging of streets into one road. We all come at it from our own perceptions and lives. We all here argee it is the right thing.

We don't moderate, we quit. Quitting hurt me like nothing I have ever experienced. It was like crawling out of hell on earth. The details lie in my thousands of posts, many of which are lost in the www.

Bottom line, I still hurt today, but I am not hung over or mad craving booze. It feels amazing.

Prayers you can stop drinking before the kindling etc. cause the insanity folks can't pull out of.

Prayers.

Booze is poison.

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Daibach!

I'm so glad you decided to post and seek support. You're right, it will be hard to stop drinking, but as you know, it will be worth it.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dailbach welcome to this great place! I recently joined for the support which has helped me a great deal. It will be hard..some days will be easier then others (I am finding that out). On the hard days I try really hard to keep myself busy doing whatever. It is so worth it being sober.