Notices

Gradual? But I still need to just stop, right?

Old 10-23-2021, 09:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The trouble I have with moderation short and long term.

Short term, trying to limit the amount I drink in a given day of drinking. I have almost an allergic reaction to alcohol. Once I drink its like a chemical reaction happens and I no longer think and feel the same way. Its like I am no longer the same person after I take that drink so I'm no longer in control of moderating anything. I'm just along for the ride. The guy I turn into might decide to take it easy that night but its not up to me.

Longer term, try and limit the days that I do drink. The problem here is that I have an obsession to drink alcohol. I pack a boatload of will power and self will and determination. I can sell myself here for a bit sometimes. The thing is once the idea that its acceptable for me to drink "sometimes " is in my head the obsession, the alcoholic voice is always near. It will come out of nowhere and likely at a bad time. It will take over when its wants to and with ease. This can easily become, well I just drank last night so... My will power will get chopped down. I will be along for the ride.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
That basically just meant doing 'stuff' - anything, any activity that occupied my mind in the evening when the cravings struck. In my case walking in all weather's and restoring and old car. It was hard work but productive and of course not as hard work as trying to function with a hangover every day. It was an analogue way of dealing with my booze addiction, which was truly terrible, but it did work.
I think this is good advice. After stopping, it helps to fill your time with positive, healthy things. Try to reconnect with hobbies and things you enjoyed as a child. Even simple things like cleaning your apartment, reading about alcoholism, eating healthily, going for a long walk/jog, etc. This helps to fill the time and prevent you sitting around 'regretting' everything. Life carries on and needs to be lived. Longer term, there are so many opportunities to learn and grow when you open your mind to the possibilities.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
That basically just meant doing 'stuff' - anything, any activity that occupied my mind in the evening when the cravings struck. In my case walking in all weather's and restoring and old car. It was hard work but productive and of course not as hard work as trying to function with a hangover every day. It was an analogue way of dealing with my booze addiction, which was truly terrible, but it did work.
I wish I would have known this trick during the weeks I battled through the cravings. I had never heard about it, and it wasn't an idea that occurred to me naturally, so I would sit still and face the cravings in a standoff like two expert mind controllers doing battle in a superhero film. I made it through, but I couldn't help but think that there must be a better way to do that. Those were the worst two weeks of recovery. After that things got easy.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

What matters most is your decision to quit — and really quit. I also remember the fear. But it’s worth it.

Consider a medical detox. I suffered pretty badly going cold turkey and I wish I had reached out for help and supervision first.