Notices

Recovery blog October 13th 2021

Old 10-13-2021, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery blog October 13th 2021

I guess, I want to start with, I am so proud of everyone for being here and posting....wanting to make a change. Also, I want to mention that I LOVE seeing familiar names that are now celebrating some serious time behind them. As I've been on here for just over a year and feel as if I know some of you and your stories, watching you succeed makes me so happy and gives me hope. On that note, this isn't my 1st recovery blog, but it will be my last. Someone PM me and offered some advice about getting sober and one piece of that was a recovery journal. Accountability, to myself and others. I'm not going to rehash my story in depth. I always drank, I stared drinking more during 2020 and suffered from depression and anxiety more then any other years. I have a son, who I desperately want repair any damage my disease has caused to our relationship and I still have a chance to do that. I am married to another alcoholic who does not want to stop, but wants me to be "better"... which means drink in moderation, but don't stop. Ironic. I used to drink in moderation everyday, not since I have tried to quit, I take time off and then go on binders that have caused me embarrassment in ALL aspects of my life. I have health issues due to alcohol. Some of this will sound familiar to others, some can relate to some parts. This is my story and I'm on day 2.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey BTG, so glad to see your blog.. I know how hard you are working at this and I also know that you will gain permanent sobriety, and all the benefits that go along with it. It is a lot harder with a drinking spouse, so kudos for all the success you have had already. You have a lot of self-awareness and honesty, and those are key. I am also sure that your son is very proud of your efforts, even if he may not outwardly display it.

Keep up the great work - you CAN do this!
Old 10-14-2021, 05:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wonderful! Good plan to use infèrent tools. 😍
Old 10-14-2021, 06:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good morning! For all my moaning and groaning, I really did want to drinking last night. Just to make it all go away. The negative thoughts, the anxiety... well basically the detox symptoms of the first week. I even found my husband's 1/2 gallon of vodka in the garage, but we all know it's not with it and I knew if I could get through the night, today wild be better... just like 2marrow will be better than today. The feelings passed and although I didn't sleep well, day 3 is here. Today should be easier, as that is structured out with little idle time. By the time I'm through it, it will be wind down time and bedtime.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you to get past that, sounds like a close call!

Still struggling on getting my posts accurate.

Above, ‘different tools’ is what it should have read.

Have a sober day
Old 10-14-2021, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post
Good for you to get past that, sounds like a close call!

Still struggling on getting my posts accurate.

Above, ‘different tools’ is what it should have read.

Have a sober day
honestly didn't even notice it lol, I knew what you meant! Have a good day free2b
Old 10-14-2021, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I often look at my husband’s “hidden” vodka bottle in our house. It can be tempting, but I also know for me it is part of my codependent “monitoring” so unhealthy on two fronts.

Well done on not drinking—it should be getting better today and keep improving as you know. Hang in there
Old 10-14-2021, 07:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wishing you well Backtogood
Old 10-14-2021, 07:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

BTG! Welcome back. YOU CAN DO THIS! Getting sober in a house with other drinkers is not impossible. The one way I was able to get sober when a spouse drinks is to focus on myself. His drinking and what he does is not MY PROBLEM and I will not make it my problem. My relationship with alcohol is my issue to address. I really had to separate the two in order to be successful. Its been 10 years of learning to navigate our drinking, my drinking and his drinking......I had to compartmentalize all that stuff and get down to the question of "What is healthy for me?"
Not saying you are doing any of the above. I just know how hard it is to get sober when there is a spouse who drinks and then the drinking together and all that goes along with that.

I commend you for coming back. I commend you for continuing on with getting sober. Sobriety is not linear for some people and that is OKAY! You are here and you are doing this thing!

I look forward to reading your blog.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I often look at my husband’s “hidden” vodka bottle in our house. It can be tempting, but I also know for me it is part of my codependent “monitoring” so unhealthy on two fronts.

Well done on not drinking—it should be getting better today and keep improving as you know. Hang in there
Very Good point about codependent monitoring, hadn't really looked at it that way, but you are totally right. I guess I just hate it when he lies about drinking or his much he drinks. (Which most alcoholics do...lie) All I do know at this point, is I can't drink, I can't make him quit, and I can only control what I can control.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LeadHatter View Post
Wishing you well Backtogood
morning LH
Old 10-14-2021, 07:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Hey BTG lovely to see your thread and good luck on ur journey hun as u know we are all behind u and u can do this! xxx keep posting and getting whats in ur head out xx
Old 10-14-2021, 08:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your doing well Backtogood and people here are rooting for you
Old 10-14-2021, 11:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Backtogood!

October is great time to get sober - there is some magic in the air.

If I may offer some advice from my now 9 years experience - identify your triggers and make a plan how to counter them. Don't leave it to chance.

Cravings have their own schedule, their cues. "I'll figure it out on the go" rarely, if ever, works for cravings. By that time they are usually so strong that the rational mind is in no way capable to stop them.

So, I'd suggest to take some time time and make a detailed assessment of what triggers you, what are your "danger zones", and then get ready - gates closed, sobriety guns are loaded, enemy is not allowed.

Best of luck.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you midnightblue 😀
Old 10-14-2021, 09:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Heading to bed sober. Emotionally draining to be honest, but it's over and 2marrow will seem brighter. Night day 3.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Good night BTG xx good on u going to bed sober x
Old 10-14-2021, 10:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

great start BtG

D
Old 10-14-2021, 10:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Loving your blog idea....it's really helpful I think to help us stay focused during the early days. I started one but have since drank so I abandoned it. I'm staying connected on here though, will probably put my updates into the October thread. I've been on SR only 6 weeks and I've had a number of quit attempts during this time. I've given my bank cards to a friend in order to help myself get the first 30 days under my belt. This may last longer as my recovery isn't strong. I'm looking to build on my recovery each day now. I hope you stay focused and find strength each day to crack this.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well done Backtogood on making 2 sober days