Notices

Holistic Thread - Sleep and Nutrition

Old 11-11-2021, 12:30 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Great thread!
Alcohol addiction, binge eating and insomnia are all connected for me.
Throw in a bit of anxiety and isolation as well as a bi product from the terrible trio.
I'm not a regular poster here because I'm not completely abstinent.
I have alcohol binges most weekends along with food binges and very little sleep.
Sunday- Thursday I practice Intermittent fasting
(mostly)
Although this is far from ideal and I am in no way advocating weekend binges - I am in a better place than where I was which was daily binges and obese.
I'm 50lbs lighter and a few pounds away from a normal BMI.
I feel that Intermittent fasting saved me - its something I hope to practice the rest of my life and I'm working towards quitting alcohol for good - I'm nearly ready.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:13 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

One word: Fascia. [great stuff!]

I've never been convinced that stretching was important. That is...until now. Why? One word: Fascia.

THIS is What Happens When You Stop Moving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01LbcCDTwF4
Old 11-12-2021, 08:45 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SouthernSober View Post
I've never been convinced that stretching was important. That is...until now. Why? One word: Fascia.

THIS is What Happens When You Stop Moving

Another word (that is one of the best cures for that malady): YOGA
Old 11-13-2021, 09:56 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Fascia? Hmm.. I remember Anatomy Trains as a have to read several years ago but think that the NASM's Essentials of Corrective Exercise Training was more helpful because it included more self techniques. I'm sure there's loads of new books and video out there now if you look.

Also, Ming Chew wrote an excellent book on treating it yourself with several different types of stretching and movement that's excellent for beginners that are not treating others. Sorry, can't remember the name of the book even though I bought several copies to give to friends and family.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:39 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Anyone ever try valerian root capsules? If so did they help with sleep and/or anxiety? Were they habit forming? How long were you taking them? Still taking or quit after some time?

Sorry, Im looking for experiences with this. Just took half dose of 450mg last night for sleep but don’t know if it helped. I slept same as I always do…fall asleep fairly normal but wake up in the middle of the night ☹️

Maybe I need to give it time…
Old 11-13-2021, 05:50 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Introvrtd1 View Post
Anyone ever try valerian root capsules? If so did they help with sleep and/or anxiety? Were they habit forming? How long were you taking them? Still taking or quit after some time
My experience with valerian capsules have been very positive. Helped immensely with sleep, but I took the full dose. I have never tried them for anxiety, only at bedtime for sleep. I didn't find them habit forming and only take them when sleep deprivation is a problem.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:14 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Valerian was another that I disliked after a day or two because of the vivid dreams it caused.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:21 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Haven't tried Valerian capsules but do know there are all kinds of teas out there, including valerian. A cup of herbal tea in the evening (especially now, fall/winter) is something just about everyone can and should enjoy.

Knock on wood, I've been falling asleep in record time. I would sure hope so with my workouts. No caffeine after my morning cuppa and I take melatonin gummies ~hour before bed. Naps work for some people but not for me.

Encourage everyone to check out the fascia video. It's amazing how little that topic comes up even among longstanding health/fitness experts...especially with the pervasiveness of lower back problems in the US.

At any rate--all important topics I hope we'll keep revisiting--sleep, flexibility, weight control. They're all related.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:01 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Upon request, here are some things I’ve made and eaten lately, nourishing my body and soul.

Note- skip post of triggered, and the popcorn consumed last night is NOT pictured 😂🤓🌽

This mornings breakfast: v8 (not pictured), nitrate free uncured bacon (not pictured), Dunkin’ Donuts home brewed coffee (not pictured), Chobani plain nonfat yogurt with chia seeds and organic strawberries and blueberries, and homemade herbed biscuits with soft salted butter.🥖🧈🍓🫐🥓☕️🥛

Basted eggs, fresh hash browns-both seasoned with fresh ground pepper and salt, nitrate free uncured bacon, v8, coffee, and organic berries.

Bobs Red Mill Muesli, half ripe banana mixed in when cooked, sprinkled with organic cinnamon. No added sugar.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:29 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

I nominate Free to be Executive Chef for the Holistic Thread. 😎
Old 11-14-2021, 03:26 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Thanks SS 🤓
Old 11-15-2021, 06:09 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

So after beating myself up with bad diet that exacerbates the anxiety and depression….Ive decided to go back to eating ( as much as I can ) healthy again. I did a better diet before, not to try and lose weight (although it helped), but to be healthier, happier, and fix the imbalances in my brain chemistry. The neurotransmitters seemed to function better.

Then after awhile, the sugar cravings, junk food, and unhealthy eating habits creeped in. You guessed it. Things took a turn for the worst and I couldn’t figure out why (or just plain forgot it was the bad diet) I started feeling like crap again.

Well here we go. Just like another round of sobriety…here goes the healthy eating again. Let’s see if I can get it right this time.

I bought some oatmeal, fruit, veggies, bone broth, yogurt (yes it has a bit of sugar), and drinking water and herb teas, no sodas.

I know I’ll probably get bored with this soon, but I’ll come here to remind myself why it’s important to practice a healthier lifestyle.

Old 11-15-2021, 06:23 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Welcome Introvrtd1!

last night chipotle quinoa

Plain nonfat yogurt has zero sugar, and fruit adds natural sugar

i find it helpful to tell yourself you WANT to eat healthy instead of telling yourself you HAVE to 😍
Old 11-20-2021, 05:38 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I have been looking into grip strength...I read something about how grip strength was a good indicator for overall health/fitness. I think it’s more fit/healthy people tend to have good grip strength than good grip strength makes you fit and healthy.
Anyway.. this led me onto another article talking about “farmers walk/carry exercise” very good cardio, excellent for posture (which is something I am really trying to improve) weight loss and heart health and of course grip strength ..it’s a very simple exercise which apparently is very easy to get correct form and minimal injury risk... I am not thinking worlds strongest man competition where they carry a tractor in each arm..just a relatively heavy dumbbell/kettlebell and interval 30m walks back and forth.
Anybody do this or have any input regarding grip strength and health correlation?
Old 11-20-2021, 06:25 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

I have also read that grip strength is a proxy for overall strength, but not necessarily overall health, as that would involve other factors such as cardio fitness, lack of disease, etc. I think it's a bit of a generalization but of course those who are active and work a lot tend to use their hands and carry things. I would refer to it as "practical strength" and have always sought it out myself through yard work and sporting activities, since I'm not a tradesman. One year when I was fifty, I was developing my steep canyon property (about one hectare), I was clearing a lot of thick brush and carrying it up a very steep slope. I also had to build a huge retaining wall with concrete blocks. I was in good shape already from mountain biking and running, but that year I was very strong from all the physical effort. I have to say it felt great.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:03 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Update (Thanksgiving)

Thanks for posting, y'all. I've been away. I will crank this back sometime over the weekend...holiday strategies, I think. Actually, let's put that out there: we hear things like the average American puts on 10-15 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Year's. In our case, how do we avoid that while staying sober?
Old 12-04-2021, 11:00 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

The 3 Belly Types: WHICH ONE DO YOU HAVE?

My intent for the holidays was an upbeat focus on enjoying the season and prepping for a better new year. That's still the case, but I am posting this as it's had as important an impact on me as any video I've seen (especially the first 3 minutes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RspVsOLQxzI

That was me to a T, and could easily be me again. It scares the hell out of me. The living like that more than the dying of it (and I doubt I would've lived more than a year or two without kicking and making radical changes).

The analogy (especially as it applies to visceral fat) is like money: the domino effect rules, falling bad or falling good. When you use your money wisely and save it, your money works for you and compound interest kicks in in your favor. When you waste your money foolishly, the opposite happens. And when it comes to both financial and physical health, that phenomenon puts people in situations they can neither understand nor fix.

***Living nightmare: even when you're not actively eating (and in our case, more primarily drinking) foolishly, your body is working against you. In layman's terms, your growing excess fat breeds more fat, and continues to set in motion a domino effect of pain, depression, and constant fatigue.

This is just 110 days ago: even going to the gym 60-90 minutes a day and eating relatively clean, I was not only obese, I looked like I was pregnant. My liver was dysfunctional to the extent both fat and fluid swelled my abdominal cavity to monstrous proportions. I didn't realize how bad it was until I had lost 30 pounds and 12% body fat. [yes, that has been an unbelievable amount of dedication and work]

Take from the video what you will. But though I try to in this thread stick to holistic issues ***as they pertain to alcohol, not alcohol itself,*** here is the time to put forth a reminder that the sine qua non of health here is sobriety.

The video above I hope is a sober reminder of the gravity of our situation. That being said, sober and sticking to a plan that works best for us, the holidays can be a joyous season and no, there's nothing wrong with the occasional festive indulgence (I like pie a la mode). The desired end state is to enjoy the holidays, but end the year well in order to start the year well. My plan for New Year's Eve? I'll be in the gym, and I'll be back in the gym the following day. But I will celebrate in my own way, because I've earned it.

We all have! best, SS

Old 12-05-2021, 04:18 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Thanks SS! I am only partway through the video but gonna go make myself exercise first and then come back . I really want my pants to fit again. Can’t wait to learn more.