Notices

Holistic Thread - Sleep and Nutrition

Old 10-26-2021, 06:45 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Good stuff, great thread!
Old 10-27-2021, 06:14 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VikingGF View Post
May I share a little WL success? Me and my beloved IF (intermittent fasting) have hit another milestone- and I'm down one more clothing size. I know that the recent loss is from the calories lost from drinking, and I will take it. I am now able to shop in the "regular size" area and my weight loss is edging ever closer to my goal. That boggles my brain- IF is seriously the only thing that has ever worked for me. Today I glanced quickly at my reflection in a window and thought it was someone else! I am having some difficulty seeing myself accurately- I've been a "fat girl" my whole life and the thought that maybe I won't be someday is very hard to get my head around. But that's a topic for another place/time.
Congratulations on your weight loss, Viking!

IF does work! I had no weight problems from 7th grade to 12th grade and it wasn't until IF became popular that I figured out why. I always skipped breakfast and lunch but ate dinner with my family. I was practicing IF and didn't know it!

Keep up the great work :-)
Old 10-27-2021, 08:11 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

SouthernSober
...regarding flexibility, I had awful flexibility, the tightest of hamstrings and lower back pain caused by my posture. Basically no balance between my posterior and anterior chains. I have been doing various things to correct it..but if I had to do one single exercise that improved everything I have mentioned it would be a “kettlebell Russian swing” I have been doing 200 a day with 20kg. Sometimes all at once..sometimes 100 in a morning,100 before bed.

the change has been so quick...feel so much more flexible, and I don’t swear and shout when I have to get up off the floor.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:38 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thanks y'all - keep the contributions coming😎

Much-needed shot in the arm...the success of this thread is totally contingent on keeping it current and diverse. While remembering the idea is to take what you need and leave the rest (everyone's different), a few takeaways so far:

1/Good information and peoples' experience available on GERD...just scroll through the thread. Caveat: looks like sacrifices need to be made. But that's part of sobriety, no? I myself would be pretty skeptical about trading my 100-octane coffee for herbal tea--but I would also recognize my attitude about it plays a huge factor.

2/Several believers (including me) on IF (Intermittent Fasting)...not just for weight loss but for anti-inflammatory as well. For the purposes of this thread, we'll call IF anything 12+ hours fasting. Speaking of, does anyone fast? I would call that an entire day, nothing but water. I'd consider trying it, but I haven't had much success after 18 hours.

3/Whatever the workout plan: walking is good; yoga is good; Pilates is good; anything core-oriented is good; swimming is good; being active outside is good.

4/Are people familiar with TDEE (looking it up probably better than me trying to describe it)? Mine is ~3800, and I try to keep my daily kcal to 2400...goal is to lose a pound every 2-3 days. What's tricky these days: a lot of us, even guys like me that work out 2-3 hours a day, X6/week, still spend a lot of time sitting at a desk. So TDEE is a pretty rough estimate.

5/We could do an entire thread on Sleep Hygiene but let's keep everything under one roof. I get the impression most folks here are well-versed enough to know the basics of sleep hygiene. My crusade is about limiting electronic devices in the bedroom. Soft lighting and night lights are good. To the extent possible, make the bedroom a sanctuary, an ocean of calm.

6/BREATHE. Yes. So simple, but so forgotten. Breathe deep, breathe slow, breathe fresh. And you'd be amazed the role it plays in stretching.

Namaste 😎

SS

Old 10-27-2021, 08:39 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

"...regarding flexibility, I had awful flexibility, the tightest of hamstrings and lower back pain caused by my posture. Basically no balance between my posterior and anterior chains. I have been doing various things to correct it..but if I had to do one single exercise that improved everything I have mentioned it would be a “kettlebell Russian swing” I have been doing 200 a day with 20kg. Sometimes all at once..sometimes 100 in a morning,100 before bed."

Great stuff! Some people might need to adjust that 20kg [!] 😉
Old 10-29-2021, 08:31 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

kombucha

I used to drink kombucha before I quit drinking alcohol. I know it is really good for you. But I don't drink it now because it contains a small amount of alcohol in it. Apparently there are some kombuchas that are alcohol free. Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-29-2021, 10:40 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

One link:

https://health-ade.com/blogs/blog/do...things-to-know

My own view is that N/A beer and wine are a more slippery slope because they're so ritualistic, and there's some validity to the saying that nonalcoholic beverages are for nonalcoholics. Not sure kombucha is in that same category. What about kimchi, another kind of raw fermented product?

Always good to discuss the issue if there are concerns. I myself have no problem taking a sip of communion wine, drinking kombucha, eating a piece of cake that has rum or brandy in it. Believe it or not, a trace amount of alcohol is not a trigger. It's the intent of changing my mindset chemically that's the problem, or getting in the habit of drinking a couple of NA beers as some sort of "replacement."

Actually--gut health is a great topic!
Old 10-29-2021, 12:20 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Intermittent Fasting and Muscle Mass Gain – Dr.Berg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzknJGLYk9I

In this video, we’re going to talk about intermittent fasting and muscle mass. Can you gain muscle while fasting? Let’s say you want the benefits of intermittent fasting, but you also want to gain muscle, how can you do that? Well, there are several factors in play here. Sometimes people think they need to spike insulin to gain muscle mass. They load up on carbs because carbs trigger insulin, and insulin is an anabolic hormone. But, when you stimulate insulin too much, you create insulin resistance. If you have insulin resistance, you can’t absorb protein or amino acids that well. What to do to help gain muscle mass: 1. Do 2 meals a day (do intermittent fasting for at least 16 hours) 2. Get enough exercise 3. Don’t go over 50g of carbs (if you’re younger, you may be able to go up to 70g) 4. Consume 6-8 oz. of complete protein per meal (egg and fish are good) 5. Get your nutrients (calcium, B vitamins, magnesium, vitamin D, potassium) A few things that can slow down muscle gain or cause muscle loss: 1. Cortisol 2. Long fasts (72 hours) 3. Insomnia
Old 10-29-2021, 05:05 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Ugh. Had a terrible pizza today called St Louis Style.

Something tasted off. The cheese was buttery slippery and like glue.

Googled it while sloshing the piece in my mouth wondering ‘wth’

its made with manufactured cheese called Provol. Blech! 🤢🤧

we felt sick Left most of the pizza cut our losses and walked away ….

lesson learned. Google FIRST.

😲
Old 10-29-2021, 05:36 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Hi all, I'd like to join in. I must have broke my off switch for sugar at the same time I lost any sense of control with my drinking. I have been working on it for the last 8 years and I'm a serial relapser. I tell people to get back up when they drink again because down is not out. Taking my own advice and about 10 days into my go to Keto. I'm ten lbs off my high and twenty away from when I didn't have sleep apnea. I'm horrible with using the cpap so this has got to be how I treat it.
Old 10-29-2021, 05:39 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

This time I'm also focusing on my gut health. I had some kimchi and ginger for lunch. If anyone is knowledgeable about that stuff I'd love some tips.
Old 10-30-2021, 06:56 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Bloatating.

It was occurring so sporadically that I really couldn't figure out what was causing it. At first, I thought is was a dairy problem so I eliminated the usual suspects. I'm not a milk drinker at all so I stopped eating cream cheese, regular cheese and yogurt. I did notice that Greek yogurt did bother me but regular yogurt was ok. But the bloating continued.

Then it occurred to me that I ate cream cheese on bagels and cheese on pizza so perhaps wheat was the culprit. The bloating nearly disappeared and I've since reduced my wheat intake. For some reason, whole wheat products are worse than say sourdough bread.

An elimination diet is a good way to determine what food is causing the issue. My tummy problems are just about gone and I'm sure not drinking has helped. I did try a generic version of Beano, but it seemed to work more as a laxative on me and didn't address the bloating issue.

So now, my diet is pretty much the same each day and I'm pretty comfortable! Yogurt for breakfast, salad with some kind of protein for lunch, protein smoothy some time during the day, and usually soup for dinner.
Boring, but it works.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:28 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post
Ugh. Had a terrible pizza today called St Louis Style.

Something tasted off. The cheese was buttery slippery and like glue.

Googled it while sloshing the piece in my mouth wondering ‘wth’

its made with manufactured cheese called Provol. Blech! 🤢🤧

we felt sick Left most of the pizza cut our losses and walked away ….

lesson learned. Google FIRST.

😲
There is a reason pizza joints are all over the place, but then someone decides they can grab more market share by coming up with a new kind of pizza, and mostly they are just strange, but those specialty pizzas seldom become popular, and none of them ever excite me. Some pizzas are better than others for sure. I don't know if this makes sense to others but for me, the best of the pizzas hold that honor by tasting the way pizza should, and the old adage applies: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

While I've never been to New York City, I'm going to guess that someone from St. Louis who wants to learn how to make a pizza, should go to New York to learn the trade. There are basically two kinds, New York Style, and Chicago Style, and Chicago is just New York with more bread. Anything else is just goop on dough. The problem is that I've seen lots of pizza joints selling New York Style pizza that are just using the name as a gimmick, and they are nothing more than bad counterfeits.

Well... That was a fun rant.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:16 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

The sure thing about bloating for me = processed foods, sodium. I avoid the former pretty well...the latter is trickier. I have a sweet tooth that I can manage, but a salt tooth I struggle to manage.

What I try to do is at least use the right kind of salt (coarse grain pink Himalayan). Last night I had steamed veggies and shrimp with lemon and a few cranks of the salt. Compare that to a takeout stir fry, and you see what I mean about sodium vs. good salt.

So my go-to cheat meal...pizza...comes with a price. Both for the carbs and the sodium. I used to have pizza every Saturday night. Now it's more like once every 90 days.

Speaking of...vis a vis the posts above...Lord Almighty the South is blessed but not with real pizza. The pizza here is terrible, all over. You're better off making your own. Which is a great option if you're willing to invest the time and money. Otherwise, might as well go all out with the real thing every once so often. But steer clear of the suspicious ("St. Louis style pizza" sounds like an oxymoron to me - stick to the ribs! &#128518.

BTW--if you're making your own, goat cheese does more for a pizza than anything I can think of...other than using red pesto instead of sauce.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:50 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

When I make my own pizza I use lots of regular pesto with ricotta and red onion, I like it. 🙂
Old 10-30-2021, 02:31 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by kittencat View Post
When I make my own pizza I use lots of regular pesto with ricotta and red onion, I like it. 🙂
That sounds awesome. I didn't even know pesto existed before Keto and it's got such good things for your body in it. I make zoodles and put it on that put some type of pizza sounds good.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:32 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

This is a fantastic thread, SS. Like a healthy living book in 4 pages. Thanks for starting and maintaining it.

I also struggle with the sugar thing - love my San Pellegrino every evening, and sometimes a dessert, to quell alcohol cravings.

Wonder what people think about oatmeal? I make it every other morning, I generally have eggs/toast on the alternate days. I have never specifically eaten low carb and when I do, I notice it increases my alcohol cravings.

I make a big bowl (steel cut or old fashioned) with an apple cut into it, and sometimes raisins (!) hence I may be starting an unhealthy sugar/carb cycle early in the day. I have started adding a teaspoon or two of olive oil to it also, to slow down the glycemic response, and I do generally bike afterwards so the calories are burned, but again - too many carbs?
Old 10-31-2021, 08:40 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

So this happened today. I mean I've heard it before so duh but I didn't get it.

Backstory: I lost both of my hounds this past year. One was a nine-year-old Maltipoo named MonkeyDog and a sixteen-year-old chihuahua named TurdMister. MonkeyDog was my snuggler and he died last March. About six weeks ago I knew we had to put down the Turd so I was thinking I needed a pet. I was going to go with a cat because we don't have time right now to train a puppy. I went on Craigslist and someone has just posted they had a four-year-old Maltipoo named Patu. I managed to get him. They told me he needed a daily walk. Since I trained the other two we had walks weren't a thing in my house.

So I take Patu for about a thirty-minute daily but we never manage to get far as he sniffs around most of the time It's an obligation but I was starting to enjoy it. Today I woke up and the weather is nice to I did the usual thirty-minute sniff walk then I took him on the walking trail and he opened up into a run. We added an extra hour power walk session and I feel some of that sense of wellness I used to get from running. I NEVER would have gone for walks if it wasn't for Patu. I don't like going for walks alone and I don't like going for walks with people. Dogs are the perfect combination of company and solitude.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:49 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

That's fantastic, silentrun! Yes, dogs force us to get out of the house. If I weren't allergic and travel a lot I would get another one.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:33 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Your oatmeal sounds delicious and nutritious, AB! And raises another important topic: making a few concessions nutritionally as a guard against our AV.

Steel cut oats, raisins, apples--all great stuff in portion. It's a great fuel starter for the day, and better to get carbs in early and taper off as the day goes on. I keep hearing cinnamon is a great booster for oatmeal and subs for anything that's a sugar concern.

It is a sine qua non, too, to have a go-to NA beverage, even if it has a little sugar in it. Speaking of San Pell, I love it too...but now I substitute it and my morning grapefruit juice with Perrier Pink Grapefruit. Another great NA "drink" is any sparkling water with a splash of cranberry and squeeze of lime. That's my "date/dinner" drink.

I've been doing low carb/high protein for 20+ years. As you allude to, however, I don't think straight strict keto is good for people in recovery. I'm guessing I go 20 carb/60 protein/20 fat for macros. Key, of course, is making those carbs count. Complex.

Topic is elsewhere in the thread, but I do think IF, minimum 12 hours, helps with insulin/glycemic spikes and carb regulation.

The guidelines for sugar daily are 37.5g daily for men, 25g for women. The US average is around 77 [!] Does your oatmeal/San Pell keep you in those guidelines? Probably, and I say go for it. And I have a friend with a very old-fashioned dad who is 85, in good health, and has been eating oatmeal daily for 75 years.

Pretty much every serious fitness pro I've ever followed has a huge stash of steel cut oats on hand at all times. You can even make a lo-carbish version of apple crisp with it.