Notices

Holistic Thread - Sleep and Nutrition

Old 10-10-2021, 08:36 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Update on GERD

Folks, talked with my PharmD friend who has GERD. In sum: the good and bad news is pretty much the same.

Bad news is y'all seem to be already doing most of what's recommended (low acid diet, PPIs, elevated bed, limiting coffee, carbonated beverages, etc.), and pursuing next steps with a physician best bet (again, already doing). No magic bullets or wisdom here.

Good news is same. If that makes any sense. Keep up the good work, continue to seek solutions, and share info if you can. My friend takes Prilosec nightly and works like a charm, but she is a non-drinker who is in A+ health in her mid-50s.

There's also the consideration that GERD-like symptoms can be any number of things (again, y'all know this already). Look, I have the same problem with my back...I have so many different aches and pains and conditions it's hard to say what's what. I have to keep searching for solutions, keep up with what works, and try to figure out a way to manage it (without drugs or surgery, ideally).

I understand in can be frustrating being limited not only in food choices but also--and especially--N/A beverages. I sure feel like I'm entitled to, and make the most of, my go-to beverages. On the WQD site, we all discussed that importance...basically, make sure you always have a N/A beverage handy to replace your poison of choice. My nightly "drink" is a diet ginger beer, and I have a slim can of Perrier in the morning, but that's it for carbonated beverages. I make and drink 110-octane coffee, but limit it to a large cup first thing in the day. Rest of the time, it's Gatorade Zero or decaf, herbal iced tea (there are tons of good ones).

Hope this helps, and we all keep sharing info. best, SS

Old 10-11-2021, 07:33 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Several years ago, in my late 40's, early 50's, I struggled with intermittent back issues. Seemingly out of nowhere, my back would just seize up and I would be in misery for a couple of days, usually chair or bed bound. Yard work, moving furniture around, even very limited physical activity would seem to contribute. Sometimes I couldn't pinpoint a reason. I knew that it wasn't a disc, or anything really serious, so I just rode it out. The last time it happened I was on a 900 mile road trip with my brother, where we drove straight through. I had been on my feet all day in dress shoes, attending a funeral and reception, and then we packed up and drove back home. Worst case of back pain to that point.

A work friend referred me to a chiropractor/nutritionist that she had used for her chronic back issues. This guy also served as the trainer for our local, professional soccer team, so I figured he had some credentials. Turns out that this was the best "medical" decision I ever made. Sure he did some pulling and twisting, in true chiropractic fashion, but it went much further than that. He interviewed me about my eating habits, and was especially interested in my gluten intake. Up until that point I hadn't given it much thought. I ate any and all types of bread and pasta, and they typically accompanied every meal. He suggested that I read "Wheat Belly" by William Davis, which is a nutrition book that discusses health issues related to wheat gluten. He thought that I could benefit from cutting back on wheat intake, especially the highly processed, enriched wheat flour type found in modern wheat sources, as this is a known contributor to inflammation, as well as belly fat, and other health issues.

I followed his advice, and it was a revelation. For probably eight weeks, I followed a strict non-gluten diet, which was pretty challenging. However, watching the pounds disappear, I remained highly motivated. I lost 20 pounds in two-months time, going from 210 to 190. At 6'4" tall, I've never been heavy, but the weight had concentrated around my mid-section. I also incorporated some stretching exercises to help keep my back loose. My back issues cleared up, but I was wary about them returning.

I'm now 57 years old, do not follow a strict non-gluten diet, but am more aware than ever about the impact of food on inflammation. As far as wheat is concerned, I don't eat enriched wheat flour, but will eat bread and pasta that is whole wheat. And I have not had one instance of the debilitating back pain since I embarked down this path. And my weight has never gotten above 195. I'm sure that there are other factors in play here but "you are what you eat" is now an important mantra in my life.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:46 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Great stuff, CP. Thanks. And 6'4" 195? Wow. Lot of guys would *choose* that H/W.

Posted about this in my class thread, but I just lost 20 pounds in ~7 weeks using the plan I posted earlier in this thread.

I learned this in golf school: 10 extra pounds on your waistline = 150 lbs of pressure on your lower back. There is really nothing better for my back or my overall health than losing weight (which, obviously, I need to be sober to do).

Hope more people will post about gluten, wheat, and inflammation. Non-gluten wouldn't really impact me because I eat almost no "simple starch" products to begin with. I do recommend KIND energy bars, which are gluten free and about 250kcal, 10g protein, as my "breakfast" and pre-workout fuel with my coffee.

BTW, if folks have good stretches/yoga moves that loosen up the lower back, please post. Especially hamstrings. Tight hamstrings for men over 40 is an ongoing epidemic.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:17 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Sleep apnea

Hoping to jump-start this thread...back on sleep. Anyone care to share on sleep apnea? It is a huge silent killer and a topic that got very little mention even before COVID.

Sleep apnea is especially deadly in combination with alcohol and alcohol abuse.

Thanks. SS
Old 10-13-2021, 10:47 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hello peeps!

First, I’d like to comment on the use of DIET things. No BUENO, folks!

So weight increase has a lot to do with insulin response. Insulin response happens when the brain detects sweetness. So the artificial sweeteners and real sugars such as fructose and bleached sugar are all the same, including stevia as far as illiciting an insulin response, and people get sucked into the zero calorie marketing trap.

Encourage some research from you if you are using these products.

Snoring and sleep apnea. Oralpharengealoplasty doesn’t work well, including adult tonsillectomy which is very dangerous. Short necks, extra flap of soft palate, obesity, and depressants like alcohol attribute to tongue and esophageal obstructions. Thin people also obstruct for reasons cited above.

Not only does snoring harm your health (hypoxia related brain and organ damage), it wrecks intimate relationships by sleep deprivation of the apneic person and their partners, and causes separate sleeping quarters.

First stop…..sleep study. Your life may be dependent on it.

Then try the recommendations.

Dr Free discovered’Nora’, a non invasive correction device that inflates his pillow when the sensor detects sonorous sounds.

Such a relationship saver, and sleep inducer!

Whispering the sounds, of SILENCE 🥱😴😴
Old 10-13-2021, 06:55 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Better late than never- just a little word on Prilosec. It leaches magnesium from your body so if you do take it regularly, be sure to have your levels checked. It also messes with calcium and in the elderly has been linked to hip fractures. It is near impossible to come off when taken long term because when you take it, it stops acid production (proton pump inhibitor) and when you stop taking it the pump goes back on full throttle and the acid is epic!! So do use it with caution, do not use it for a prolonged period if you can help it. Omeprazole is not meant to be a long-term med but it has become one. The GERD recs are all solid, but I'd like to add that eating as far away from bedtime (3 hours at least) is helpful in decreasing reflux at night. I'm a speech therapist and I deal with lots of adults with GERD, so that's where I'm coming from.

The thread is doing so well, SouthernSober!
Old 10-14-2021, 08:03 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Great stuff, Free. Thanks.

"Snoring and sleep apnea. Oralpharengealoplasty doesn’t work well, including adult tonsillectomy which is very dangerous. Short necks, extra flap of soft palate, obesity, and depressants like alcohol attribute to tongue and esophageal obstructions. Thin people also obstruct for reasons cited above.

Not only does snoring harm your health (hypoxia related brain and organ damage), it wrecks intimate relationships by sleep deprivation of the apneic person and their partners, and causes separate sleeping quarters.

First stop…..sleep study. Your life may be dependent on it."

I am convinced it's a silent killer (at least for men).

One of my goals is to get rid of my CPAP device. To that end...religiously follow the nutrition and exercise plan discussed here.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:46 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Time to Make the Donuts

[posted this originally in my class thread, but think it's just as pertinent here. The regimen--the life--of steady, continuous (sometimes monotonous) holistic living can be challenging, especially when we don't get the results we want. But same goal/paradigm as recovery itself: just keep doing the next right thing, and leave the results to your HP]

"You mention the AA "pink cloud". I have posted several times about my Dad's association with AA and this post reminds me of another story a couple of the women who came to his funeral told me. They said that my Dad was "famous" for sharing in many AA meetings that he felt he was short-changed in the pink cloud department. He had a habit of saying "someone must have stolen my pink cloud". These women said that his sharing that feeling illustrates not everyone's sobriety journey is cookie-cutter by the (big) book. They said it seemed beneficial to the newer members hearing (from a long-term recovering alcoholic) that the euphoria described by so many doesn't happen for everyone but that doesn't mean the sober journey isn't still far better than the drinking path."

Thanks, Katlin...everyone's different but "pink cloud" I associate with the wonder and gratitude in not being strung, miserable, and hopeless all the time. Just being able to go to the grocery store without a few beers or feeling like it's a combat operation is a real kick.

At some point tho, the real work begins, and that's learning to live on life's terms with no timeouts, bailouts, or copouts. In my case I'm not just treating recovery as a full time job--I'm treating it as my full-time life. I am blessed to have the opportunity to do that--and few people can do a post-mid-life overhaul of everything.

You remember the Dunkin' Donuts guy/commercial in the 80s? Short, stout, mustache guy: "Time to make the donuts." "Time to make the donuts." Actually, I found it [you may need to cut & paste...if it doesn't link, just type "time to make the donuts" into YouTube]:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1e4qhHOIQA

So that's me these days. Gym, AA, SR, eat, sleep, repeat. Time to make the donuts. Time to make the donuts.

But the donuts are worth it. That's the point. And in the case of recovery from alcoholism, we don't make anything at all when back in the grips of addiction. At least I don't. I'm no-good to no-body.

And on that note, time to post on the Holistic thread. 😎 best, SS
Old 10-18-2021, 04:15 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Real quick: a post workout shake of Breyers CarbSmart peanut butter ice cream, vanilla whey protein powder, and almond milk...tastes amazing and is, more or less by my calculation: 600kcal, 60g protein, carbs negligible. You can also mix it with coffee concentrate to make a great afternoon pick-me-up. Try it. 👍
Old 10-21-2021, 09:07 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Input please

Hoping to stir up some activity and interest to keep this thread alive...

Somedays--it sure happens to me--we just don't feel right. Is there a particular pattern? Like after a cheat day? Carb loading? Foods we don't eat often (e.g. fried?) Too much sugar? Too little caffeine?

Another topic: bloating. Yes, it happens to men too. I feel horrible on those days. Anyone care to share tips?

thanks, SS
Old 10-21-2021, 09:20 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi southernsober,

bloating is a right pain.... manage to control mine (not eliminate sadly) by having sauerkraut or other fermented foods like kimchi once a day..a pro biotic yoghurt works well too.
I hate taking tablets so often look for lifestyle or diet changes I can make...love this thread
Old 10-21-2021, 06:41 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Too much sugar is a thing for me now. It's ironic because I really never cared for sweet things and now I'm on the prowl for ice cream, cookies and cake- I am fairly well-behaved MOST of the time, but when I take the brakes off I actually feel hungover the next day!!! This was me today and it threw me quite a bit until I put two and two together and realized that sugar is the true culprit. Oh, well. I know I can quit that without too much effort, at least.

The bloating used to be terrible but not much anymore. If I eat too late in the day, after 6, I do get the dreaded bloat so I combat that by stopping any intake between 4 and 5pm.

I don't want to change the subject from bloating, SouthernSober, but maybe down the road I can ask if anyone has tried Pi-Yo? I'm thinking of it and need to pull the trigger!

Great thread.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:15 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

"Too much sugar is a thing for me now. It's ironic because I really never cared for sweet things and now I'm on the prowl for ice cream, cookies and cake- I am fairly well-behaved MOST of the time, but when I take the brakes off I actually feel hungover the next day!!! This was me today and it threw me quite a bit until I put two and two together and realized that sugar is the true culprit. Oh, well. I know I can quit that without too much effort, at least."

Absolutely. I've noticed the same thing. Sugar and simple carbs.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:28 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

No, change away! All input welcome. Hadn't heard of Pi-Yo but it sounds great. Here are two links:

[Note: when I post a link, it's for info purposes only...not endorsing or vetting...as always, take what you need, leave the rest]

https://www.healthline.com/health/ex...s/what-is-piyo

https://thefitnessfocus.com/piyo/piyo-workout-review

I am a huge believer in yoga. Few things can benefit so many. As far as Pilates--haven't done it per se in a while but incorporate it and still remember how smoked I was just doing a video.

Brings up another important topic: flexibility. So rarely discussed outside athletic circles, but so important. As a 50-something guy who's worked out, played sports, and done a military career...45+ years...my body reflects that pro and con, and the main con is my lack of flexibility. Especially hips and hamstrings. If I could unlock those, my life would be entirely different. As it is, I spent hours a day trying to stretch them and my lower back, with middling results and near-constant pain.

Old 10-25-2021, 09:38 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Weight loss plateaus🙄

I was in a state of disbelief and mortification Sunday...after losing 20 pounds in 7 weeks...the last 2 weeks, with 32 hours in the gym...I actually GAINED 2 lbs. 🙄 No major nutrition changes.

Anyone care to share on hitting the wall with weight loss? Thanks SS
Old 10-25-2021, 01:56 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Southern Sober as you probably know, muscle weighs more than fat. Maybe you gained some muscle with all the time in the gym.

I lost 30 pounds when I quit drinking in about 6 months and am at a plateau now but I am happy with my weight. I had to buy new clothes. I eat really healthy minus a few cookies a day. I exercise almost daily. Not drinking all that wine has made it so easy to reach a healthy weight.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:25 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Thanks, CBS. Think I'm doing a body scan later this week. I'm really more focused on BF% and the tape of my waistline. But with all my back problems, dropping weight is still a major priority.

I just did a weekly meal plan analysis and I should be losing a pound every 2-3 days based on 3800 TDEE and 2000-2400kcal/day.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:05 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Back on the subject of GERD. I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy Friday. The great news is biopsies were all normal. I do have mild esophagitis and acid reflux. My doctor is allowing me to go off the Protonix that I have been on for about 6 weeks. I have to wean off of it. He said to take Pepcid as needed. I need to stay on the low acid diet. I sleep with my head elevated too. I guess I should stop drinking decaf coffee in the morning and just drink herbal tea. I went to my local tea store and got Licorice, Marshmallow and Ginger tea. Those are all supposed to be good for reflux. My worst symptoms that are supposedly from the reflux are sore throat, swollen glands and an occasional stomach ache and heartburn. Hopefully, that will all go away soon.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:54 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I love this thread!

I'm going to address the sleep issue... I fall asleep quite fast and will usually sleep for 5 hours or so before nature calls. When I get up, I do not turn on any lights...I have a little nite light in my bathroom that provides just enough light for me. If it's before 5AM, I take a quick dissolve melatonin with a sip of water and can usually fall back asleep. But, if it's anywhere near 6 or 7, nothing works to get me back to sleep, so my day begins.

It doesn't matter when I stop drinking water or herbal tea, I always wake up!

Looking forward to learning more here :-)
Old 10-26-2021, 06:33 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

May I share a little WL success? Me and my beloved IF (intermittent fasting) have hit another milestone- and I'm down one more clothing size. I know that the recent loss is from the calories lost from drinking, and I will take it. I am now able to shop in the "regular size" area and my weight loss is edging ever closer to my goal. That boggles my brain- IF is seriously the only thing that has ever worked for me. Today I glanced quickly at my reflection in a window and thought it was someone else! I am having some difficulty seeing myself accurately- I've been a "fat girl" my whole life and the thought that maybe I won't be someday is very hard to get my head around. But that's a topic for another place/time.