Notices

Holistic Thread - Sleep and Nutrition

Old 10-06-2021, 09:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Great thread, SS! I for one am interested in learning more about IF.

As for sleep, I take two capsules of L-theanine before bed. It seems to help and if I wake up in the middle of the night I take another one. It is a complex amino acid. I have seen it in stores such as Vitamin World or online. A holistic Dr. from my past told me about it.

LHW
Old 10-06-2021, 09:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks y'all. Great stuff.

Clarification on use of the word "holistic." Yes, I can see how it might conjure up the patchouli and nature commune image. 😌 Here I use the term to encapsulate pro-active, natural best practices that are part and parcel of sobriety. One of my goals is to be healthy enough to not require ANY medication. What would be the opposite of holistic? Long-term pain meds vs. other modalities. [yes, I get it's unavoidable for some people] Plastic surgery instead of diet and exercise.

Meditation has been on my to-do list for way too long. I do notice that even just doing light yoga and stretching, focusing on breathing technique is huge. Slow, deep breathing to get the most of a lower back stretch is sublime when I have the patience and focus to do it.

The 7.7.7. technique sounds useful for many things: stress management, falling asleep, meditation, coping strategies.

I see walking, biking, hiking. Swimming is great too and low impact. I do mostly circuit training, but I also walk 3-5 miles a day on the treadmill with a 35-lb weighted vest and knock out 10 pushups every 2 minutes. Straight cardio I believe is most effective when either 1/on an empty stomach; 2/after strength training. In both cases, the idea is to push fat burn while glycogen stores are low.

Old 10-06-2021, 03:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
I do agree sugar causes inflammation and that is so bad for our body.
When I eat clean I feel so much better and want to exercise.
Sugar to me is like alcohol for many. i cannot have just one.
Yes
Yes
and Yes again.
I experience all this the same way. Sugar is not good for you. But you have to have some right? Well no, not the refined kind which is in just about every processed food out there. The natural sugar that comes in fresh (not canned) fruits is best and what our ancient ancestors adapted too, and we need that. But when I freak out and go on one of those sugar binges, especially after I've been watching my diet for a month, I get sick, and while I'm feeling sick to my stomach, I still consume more, just like with alcohol, and the next morning like you, I have a sugar hangover that feels awful and has all the guilt and remorse of an alcohol hangover.

Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
I don't know what causes this but I will continue to consume sometimes until I just pass out. I will wake up with an awful sugar hangover for two days until my mind can again focus. I really believe sugar is just so bad and it is hidden in EVERYTHING. Everything!
Yes again, and this is real. Some of the mechanics of this actual biological effect are explained in Diet and Fitness Explained by William Porter. It actually happens. Probably more for some of us than others.

Old 10-07-2021, 12:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Some of the things that have worked for me, from food to exercise.
-Eggs for breakfast
-Nutrigrain bars for a snack, I also take some deli meat and make a roll up with some mayo without bread
-Take some green beans from the store, put a little butter and salt on them and heat it up for about a minute, makes for a great snack as well.
-I have a George Foreman grill that helps with draining the fat. I use it almost every day. I've been grilling a lot of chicken, sausage, hamburgers, etc and sometimes combine the green beans with this or I'll add some pasta/rice to it.
-Drink alot of water, usually mix it with crystal light mix. I do drink some root beer for something different but I don't go completely overboard and it doesn't have any caffeine in it.
-I do drink coffee in the morning but I try like hell to avoid in the afternoon. I use splenda(sweetener) in my coffee.

Exercise and sleep: I've been doing anywhere from 4-6 miles a day walking. I split up the sessions, early morning and late afternoon/evening. I am lucky in that I have a gym set-up at my apartment complex, but I have been exercising a ton outside. I take 25-30 mgs of Melatonin with 2 CBD gummies for sleeping.

I don't count calories or have a daily food log, those never worked for me. I've never followed a specific name diet. The main thing with me is how I feel every morning, that's the only thing that matters to me.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sample weekly rotation - supper

Here's a sample of my weekly supper rotation:

Monday - Egg white omelet with feta; spinach salad

Tuesday - Rotiss chicken breast with steamed mixed veggies

Wednesday - Turkey chili; kale 7 salad

Thursday - Shrimp with steamed mixed veggies

Friday - Sirloin burger; mixed salad or feta-artichoke mix

Saturday - Broiled swordfish; Szechuan veggies

Sunday - Chicken vindaloo or tikka marsala

How about you? Regular meal plans? Cheat days? Carb loading days? Can't-live-without-its?
Old 10-07-2021, 09:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SouthernSober View Post
Thursday - Shrimp with steamed mixed veggies
What kinds of veggies do you add? Do you add any oil or rice to the mix?
Old 10-07-2021, 10:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I had another sugar binge last night....not sure what got into me. I think I was tired/depressed and that was a bad combo. So day one again for the sugar free. I would love to try the IF/LC plan you are doing. Maybe that would help with the cravings. I do think I eat too many carbs. My issue is I do not eat meat (ethical and environmental reasons) so that makes it hard. I am open to any suggestions.
I get so worried about my sugar eating binges. I know this is not good for my health.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

DG, I pick them up at a Chinese place that has a separate health menu. So steamed mix (lots of broccoli, onions, mushrooms, peppers, etc) with no sauce. I just give them a few cranks of Himalayan pink sea salt and a squeeze of lemon. I generally never eat out, including takeout, but this place hooks me up and given what grocery store food inflation is, the expense is negligible (plus no clean up). Salad I buy big bags of kale/7 superfoods or spinach.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great topic Bethany...everybody's different but virtually everything I've read is that sugar and other simple carbs (pasta, bread, etc.) create insulin/glycemic spikes that make for a vicious circle. Essentially, the more you eat, the more you want. I have been lo-carb for many years but oh yes, I have eaten several slices of pizza and gone back for seconds just a coupla hours later. Maybe this might be helpful:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...t/art-20048478

Today I met my sponsor for coffee and a donut. He's about 6'2" 150 so snarfed that yuuuuuuuuuge donut in 2 bites. I'm 5'10" 2X5 😉 and if I did that, I'd feel like a beached whale, would have a massive sugar crash an hour later, then have to spend 90 minutes working off that sucker. So I got a donut, sliced off a piece--it was delicious--and bagged the rest. I will mix it with some "zero" Greek yogurt and muesli later as a kind of parfait. After the gym and after my veggies and chicken.

Some people say, load carbs earlier the day. Makes sense for the very active and very young. Me, no way. It'll just put me to sleep and I'll feel like crap, need a huge iced coffee to wake up.

We can't "mitigate" or "moderate" alcohol. But yes, I do think we can mitigate sugars and carbs. Better to gradually substitute than cold turkey. The good news is that it works and, after a while, the cravings will subside. Why can I do Mickey D's maybe twice a year, then never think about it? Because I know I can enjoy it but then the bod says "alright bud, back to the routine."
Old 10-08-2021, 05:01 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I should have posted this a couple of days ago while we were still focusing on sleep, but I have a quick book recommendation for anyone interested. 'Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams' by Matthew Walker. I found it to be very interesting, informative, and readable. Delves into the science of sleep, and how it affects every aspect of our physical and mental well-being. I was able to check out the ebook from my local library, but it's also available online, on Amazon, etc.
Old 10-09-2021, 05:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SouthernSober View Post
How about you? Regular meal plans? Cheat days? Carb loading days? Can't-live-without-its?
I'm cooking for one, so I'm typically not too creative when it comes to meal plans.

Can't-live-without-its: Coffee (3-4 cups a day, black), nuts (almonds, pecans, cashews), low-sodium V8, peanut butter (usually on a piece of multi-grain wheat toast; sometimes right out of the jar).

Proteins: Very little red meat. Typically chicken or salmon. Black beans. Have tried the plant based burgers, but they don't really do it for me. Same with tofu.

Vegetables - Really try to hit these hard, though keeping fresh produce around is a challenge. I absolutely hate throwing food away. Spinach, kale, beets, carrots, peas, corn, tomatoes. One of my go-to meals is a salad with all of these ingredients, mixed with one of the protein options.

I guess that you could say I intermittent fast without giving it much thought. I don't typically eat after 7:00pm, and then I don't eat again until after my morning run, which is around 9:00am. So I'm 14/10, I guess.

Ice cream is my weakness. Could easily eat it every night, but it does seem to interfere with my sleep. Trying to moderate that.

Thanks again for starting this thread SS.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:40 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Lots of good stuff here CP, thanks. Good convo starter:

"I'm cooking for one, so I'm typically not too creative when it comes to meal plans."

Same for me. But if you scroll back to my supper rotation above, you see I try to be as creative as I can. The other thing is not spending a lot of time on prep work or clean up. I make a pot of turkey chili once a week, and always have a big container of rotiss chicken ready to go. Tupperware is a godsend for both healthy eating and prep time. It takes me 5 minutes or less to make supper each night if I prep correctly.

Salmon is tough to beat in just about all health categories. I could eat fish 3-4 times a week, but it's very expensive these days. Used to buy Cajun catfish at Costco for $6 a pound--you could pair it with just about anything (veggies, salad, rice, beans, couscous). That was 15 years ago.

I'm one of those alkies who considers ice cream the "in case of emergency break glass" anti-craving need. So I keep a pint of the real, good stuff on hand but usually go with a no-sugar added Klondike bar.

I'm going to buy some low-sodium V-8 and make myself a virgin bloody. Yum. 😎
Old 10-09-2021, 12:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I’ve been trying To change my diet for my silent acid reflux – I am getting more tests done though to make sure it is in fact acid reflux. The diet mainly consists of lean meats veggies and non-acidic fruits and no processed food. I realized quickly how much of my diet consisted of the non-approved items. It’s been hard but I am making small changes daily. And I have lost weight trying to follow this diet. It’s just super hard to stick to this particular non-acid diet because the foods are very very limiting and bland. But it hasn’t seem to help the silent acid reflux which hopefully in a few weeks I will know more about. I am doing a barium swallow this week and then having an Endoscopy done. My G.I. doctor also wants to do an ultrasound of my liver and gallbladder which is a plus because I told her about my alcohol use.

Do you have any insights on fasting and someone diagnosed with Gerd? my G.I. doctor told me fasting perpetuates Gerd but I cannot find a lot of info about it. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2021, 01:00 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Jillian I can totally relate! I am on a low acid diet and a PPI for the last few weeks. I had a barium swallow test and the results said possible esophagitis. I have had swollen glands and a sore throat for about 5 months and the docs could not figure it out. Now the theory is GERD. I am having an endoscopy on Nov. 1st. I wish I could have it sooner but they are booked up. I hate having to do the low acid diet. My go to drinks were sparkling water and lemonade, peppermint tea and decaf coffee. I am supposed to give that up. Also I love tomatoes, onions and garlic and can't have that. And then giving up chocolate is no fun either.

I did read that drinking some water after a meal can reduce acid reflux. Also I have adjustable bed so I raise the head several inches for sleeping at night.

Anyway, I hope you and I both get answers and heal!
Old 10-09-2021, 09:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Jillian and CBS--I myself know very little on these subjects, but thank you very much for posting about them. Those are things I hadn't thought about that could be of great help to folks here.

I have what is essentially my annual physical next week and I will have plenty of questions. For someone with my drinking history, I've (so far) escaped major digestive problems, but I have to be a lot more careful. I notice my esophagus is more sensitive to both hot and spicy food.

The good news is that sober many systems are repairing themselves, and the ones that aren't...well, because we're sober we can do the things that sane and responsible people do to address health issues and search for solutions.

Anybody have any input on the above? GERD especially? I have a good friend who's a PharmD and she has GERD; I'll ask her.

I keep omeprazole on hand for things antacid won't solve, but the kinds of issues we're talking about here seem to be above that level.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I am a nurse, but not adding to GERD dialogue as far as recommendations.

Drinking alcohol is a sure fire was to invoke all kinds of digestive track problems though.

Prayers to all my peeps suffering GERD.

My body is changing for the better without the ethanol.

I got serious about healthy eating combined with exercise after 8 months sober in 2018, and it worked wonders for sleep and soul and physique.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:18 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I killed it 🥺
Old 10-10-2021, 10:26 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

"I got serious about healthy eating combined with exercise after 8 months sober in 2018, and it worked wonders for sleep and soul and physique."

Amen, Free! That's exactly why I'm hoping this thread will flourish! 😎👍
Old 10-10-2021, 03:07 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Oh CBS I hate you’re going thru this too! I went to the doctor for constantly clearing my throat, feeling like something stuck in my throat, pills getting stuck when swallowing. I do t have the normal symptoms of GERD (heartburn etc) but my larynx was inflamed so they think silent reflux. I scared to do barium swallow and endoscopy

The Acid Watchers diet is very hard to adhere to! I’m pretty sure my alcohol abuse contributed to this diagnosis and just wish I had stopped along time ago or had never become addicted but can’t think about what if’s….

Southern, I tried Omeprazole per dr rx but it gave me horrible stomach pains! Not taking and ppi or meds at the moment though I am suppose to be trying Pepcid. Just afraid of possible side effects!!
Old 10-10-2021, 03:53 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

What a great thread. Thanks SS. I will go back and read with interest.