Notices

50 Days!

Old 10-03-2021, 05:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

50 Days!

Hey Y’all! I can’t quite believe it, but it’s been 50 days since I’ve drank and experienced the worst hangover and mental effects ever. I still have not had any cravings which I’m ecstatic about. I still have thoughts as if I will ever be able to have “one drink” but not cravings to actually drink. Which y’all know in the past was so hard for me to even get past day 3 due to cravings.

I was hoping all my health issues would clear up by now (as I’m sure we all do) but still dealing with some minor stuff. But I’m sober! And my son was rear ended the other night at 10pm and I was able to answer the phone and come to his aid! It’s early Sunday and we are off to his dirt bike race this morning in north GA. So glad I’m not hungover on the ride up like I always used to be. Happy Sunday y’all!
Old 10-03-2021, 05:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fantastic, well done! 🏅
Old 10-03-2021, 05:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep striving for continuous sobriety incorporating
helpful tools and knowledge learned from addiction
and recovery to achieve health and happiness moving
forward. Gifts in recovery we are humbled by.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're doing great! It just keeps getting better!
Old 10-03-2021, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time!
Old 10-03-2021, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job, Jillian! Glad you posted.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
I still have thoughts as if I will ever be able to have “one drink” but not cravings to actually drink. Which y’all know in the past was so hard for me to even get past day 3 due to cravings.
My cravings were gone by 50 days, but the thoughts of alcohol still lingered. I don't believe I had a thought that I may one day have "one drink" until around 6 months. That only happened once, and I didn't act on it, so you never know when your AV is going to make a convincing sounding argument that you are well enough to drink responsibly. But what you need to pay attention to from this point on are your actions. Your thoughts by themselves are just thoughts, but they are dangerous when you let them take priority over what you believe to be the truth and then act on them.

So what is the truth? I don't claim a corner on the truth market, but the collective conclusion of alcoholics firmly lands on the side that you will never be able to have one drink. This is from thousands of personal experiences and failures, so it's a good bet this is a "truth" that applies to you like it does everyone else.

But here's a good thing to keep in mind. Even if you want to take a chance that you are the only alcoholic on the planet who is the one exception to the rule, why would you need that one drink anyway? What is so great and glorious about "one drink" that you would gamble away what you have worked so hard to get? There is just no real payoff, even if you manage to do it:

"Oh, I had just one drink! I got a little buzz, too! Now I'm going to dance around like a crazy person on a game show. Ooowee, hot damn!"

Could it really be that great?
Old 10-03-2021, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done on 50 days.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 50 days! Feels great to be present in every way, doesn't it?
Old 10-03-2021, 07:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You asked if you could have that “one drink”. I asked that too, and all the reading I’ve done on here and elsewhere says no. Isn’t life easier that way?

Well done on 50 days! Be wary, though, as these are early days. I had a family problem on day 55, and my body and mind told me to drink now or else! Luckily I had no alcohol in the house or it’s a certainty I’d have drank. That was two and a half years ago so was extremely fortunate. Make sure there are no temptations nearby and well done again.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome for you, Jillian!!! Good job and keep on going.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 50 days Jillian
Remember abstinence is not control

D
Old 10-03-2021, 04:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

congrats on 50 days sober !
Old 10-03-2021, 04:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your milestone. I'm just over 60 days so I understand the feelings of relief and finally being in control. But, there is some very fine advice here in the responses from those with sobriety longevity. We need to guard against the AV at all costs. It is sneaky ... and it lies. Ignore it when it whispers "you can just have one". Because we cannot just have one. I'm rooting for you!
Old 10-03-2021, 04:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Remember abstinence is not control

D

I’m not sure I understand?
Old 10-03-2021, 04:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
My cravings were gone by 50 days, but the thoughts of alcohol still lingered. I don't believe I had a thought that I may one day have "one drink" until around 6 months. That only happened once, and I didn't act on it, so you never know when your AV is going to make a convincing sounding argument that you are well enough to drink responsibly. But what you need to pay attention to from this point on are your actions. Your thoughts by themselves are just thoughts, but they are dangerous when you let them take priority over what you believe to be the truth and then act on them.

So what is the truth? I don't claim a corner on the truth market, but the collective conclusion of alcoholics firmly lands on the side that you will never be able to have one drink. This is from thousands of personal experiences and failures, so it's a good bet this is a "truth" that applies to you like it does everyone else.

But here's a good thing to keep in mind. Even if you want to take a chance that you are the only alcoholic on the planet who is the one exception to the rule, why would you need that one drink anyway? What is so great and glorious about "one drink" that you would gamble away what you have worked so hard to get? There is just no real payoff, even if you manage to do it:

"Oh, I had just one drink! I got a little buzz, too! Now I'm going to dance around like a crazy person on a game show. Ooowee, hot damn!"

Could it really be that great?
Allen Carr brings this up in Easy Way to Control Alcohol. He even says something along the lines of

“When will you have this one drink? Next week, next month, next year?”

I love his book and way he explains things. Basically what you said but differently!
Old 10-03-2021, 04:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

dee means that even tho you haven't drank in a while, that doesn't indicate that you can control your drinking. that's where people screw up, thinking since they haven't drink in 'a while' they can now drink moderately. but abstinence is not the same as control.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
dee means that even tho you haven't drank in a while, that doesn't indicate that you can control your drinking. that's where people screw up, thinking since they haven't drink in 'a while' they can now drink moderately. but abstinence is not the same as control.
Ahh gotcha! Yeah, I have no desire to drink because I know I can’t control the drinks when I do. Just having these fleeting thoughts sometimes - definitely won’t act on them.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post

I was hoping all my health issues would clear up by now (as I’m sure we all do) but still dealing with some minor stuff. But I’m sober!
Good job Jillian! Keep it going. I get you on the health stuff. I am also still dealing with some issues that haven't gone away yet. Issues that I had, erroneously, expected would be gone by now. I do suspect that, aside from quitting drinking, I need to add some other healing modalities into the mix and a sustained, healthy diet is on the top of that list. . . which requires even more willpower. . .

Either way we are, in the order of magnitudes, better people having stopped with alcohol.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good Work!