Notices

Ocd

Old 10-01-2021, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ocd

Is anyone dealing with ocd? I've been dealing with it for a long time, but it seems to be getting much worse. I talked to a psychiatrist about this, but all he did was give me examples with this problem that are much worse then mine. I really feel for these people, cause their ocd pretty much controls their lives. Really sad stories. My situation might be considered mild, but it really is causing me a lot of problems. Examples; I have to open and shut my refrigerator door an even number of times to make sure it's closed. I have to check and recheck and recheck my foucets to make sure they are off. I have to turn my lights off and on an even number of times. I have to check my alarm clock multiple times to make sure that it is on. When I lock my door, I have to check it at least four times to make sure it's locked. When I leave my car, I have to turn the music off at least four times to make sure its off. I have to double check my car door to make sure it is locked. I have broken many foucet handles and door locks. I even broke the handle on my car door because of this. At first, it was no big deal, but now it's getting nuts. Don't know how to stop. Any suggestions. John
Old 10-01-2021, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Has there been a change in the level of OCD behavior since quitting alcohol?
Old 10-01-2021, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I have had it most of my life, and severely, but mostly of the Pure O kind. I recommend the book Brain Lock. I use the Four Steps contained within it all the time (now usually automatically). I'm on meds too. It has certainly lessened over the years.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear, John. I have it pretty mild, mostly double checking that the doors are locked when I leave, that the garage door is closed at night, and checking the house when I get home to make sure no one has entered. I recently forced myself to stop that, which is also the cure - I read that we have to stop doing the ritual behaviors. In other words, do not give in to the urge. Another helpful technique is making sure to slow down and be present when you do things, so you remember completing the task. Many of us are constantly distracted, which is partly why we double check things - we don't remember if we did them.
Old 10-01-2021, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Has there been a change in the level of OCD behavior since quitting alcohol?
For me personally, it tends to ramp up a bit when I am not drinking. But that's no reason to drink. I was put on an SSRI for it once but didn't like the side effects - easier to deal with the problem.
Old 10-02-2021, 02:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

From what I've read it's kind of a spectrum/sliding scale. Most people have some compulsions to some degree. I certainly do! Obsessive thinking and compulsion is something many of us deal with but mine is too mild to really require any treatment for the most part.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I’ve struggled with this for a long time. It gets worse when I’m under stress.

look up progressive muscle relaxation and 4:7:8 breathing. Both helped me immensely.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

To some degree yes, but just started zoloft and it is supposed to help.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say I hope you find a new psychiatrist. I can’t imagine a scenario where minimizing someone’s problems and struggles by offering examples of more severe examples is therapeutic. I am sorry you experienced that. Whether the is an issue in need of clinical treatment is obviously for the treating professionals. But just as a person I don’t think invalidating, minimizing treatment is very helpful.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes. I discovered it was one of the main causes of my drinking. Self medication.

I am almost 8 months sober and my OCD was not good during this time. But what I realized was it's likely the same it's always been, just now I'm not self medicating with alcohol.

Therefore, I sought help and am in weekly therapy. OCD is horrible, but I'm still sober.

I read books and listen to podcasts. I do ERP. Slowly, I am getting better with OCD. I recognize my themes and label them appropriately.