Notices

hello... a year and some

Old 09-25-2021, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
him

hello... a year and some

Hi Everyone, ive been lurking on here for a bit now. I was on here posting several years ago and I thought i had hit rock bottom and stayed sober for a couple of months back then. Fast forward i finally managed to stay sober longer than a year. Im now going on a year and 5 months. I can say life is slowly getting back to normal.. not as fast as id hope but then again i drank for years. Tonight for some reason I hit a low. Im not sure what triggered it or if it was something else. Tonight i felt as i did the first couple of months of sobriety and needed to reach out to see if this is normal and i just have to keep moving forward... thank you ..
Old 09-25-2021, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Him

congrats on a year and 5 months- if you're asking if I sometimes feel low the answer is yes, but I think everyone does at some point, alcoholic addict or not?

The important thing for folks like us is to stay in recovery.

The are a multitude of other solutions to feeling low...we just have to look for them.
Exercise helps me for example?

Hope this is just a passing feeling for you?
D
Old 09-25-2021, 09:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You came to the right place for company and support. I feel low sometimes, but when/if I do, I pet my cats or dog or take my dog for a walk if I can. Sometimes just getting outside in the sunshine and fresh air helps dispel the gloomy feelings.

Stop in more often and read and post. You can find lots of love and understanding here.

Congrats on your sober time!
Old 09-25-2021, 09:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
him

Thank you for your kind words. I hope this passes also.. I haven't been to an aa meeting since I got sober. Maybe I should go to one tomorrow. I know the option to drink is not there and that going back to that leads to no good. I really don't have many people to confide in about my sobriety so I think that this bottled up feeling finally came out this week. I do feel a bit better writing how I feel on here.. thank you so much
Old 09-25-2021, 11:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you think a meeting will help, why not go to one? can't hurt

D
Old 09-26-2021, 02:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 17 months sober!
Old 09-26-2021, 04:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by him View Post
Im now going on a year and 5 months. Im not sure what triggered it... Tonight i felt as i did the first couple of months of sobriety and needed to reach out to see if this is normal and i just have to keep moving forward... thank you ..
I'm not sure what moving forward means to you, and I don't know what you mean by a low. I still get occasional lows, but they are not the same as the insanity of my bottom at the end of my drinking. I do have occasional bouts of feeling less than my normal self, and sometimes I still have a bad day. It's usually triggered by some event, but not always. Recovery is not about always feeling better. We still run up against bad times. Recovery is about meeting these times, which are usually just temporary setbacks, knowing that we are not going to drink because we know that solves nothing.

I consider this serious when you worry that you may drink again. And when I outgrew AA, I did promise myself to get back to a meeting pronto if I ever got to that point. I never did, but if I ever seriously felt I might drink, I'd take serious action. You came here. It's a place where you can sort out what you are going through, so you may want to take us a little deeper into your current situation if you think we can help.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 17 months and welcome back to posting!
Old 09-26-2021, 05:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time! You are doing so well.
It is good you are posting and reaching out.
We are here for you.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One thing to consider is that there is a type of alcoholic who can only stay sober by fully committing to the recovery program in Alcoholics Anonymous (at least that is the conclusion I and many others like me have come to). If you are one of those types and are balking on one of the three foundational components of the A.A. program (i.e., meetings, steps, and service work), then your bad day might be a warning that you'd better get on track. On the other hand, it could just be a bad day. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about any of that.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back, and congratulations on your sober time!
Old 09-26-2021, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hello him, glad you posted. Can you tell us more about what you're going through? I think you know a drink won't help, whatever problem you're wrestling with. We're here to listen.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

17 months sober is awesome!
Old 09-27-2021, 12:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, 17 months is no mean feat so well done.

You must have a few positives from the 17 months. Can you put these to good use now the world is starting to open up again? Most people see physical and mental improvements with sobriety and surprise themselves. It’s also fine to tell people you chose not to drink anymore to look after your health more.

Remember, these are odd times. The daily news is beyond a joke now, best ignored. You Sobered up during Covid when a lot of people went the other way. You’re doing something right.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Samantha

Congrats!!