Congratulations on 1,000 days!
Old 09-23-2021, 12:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well done on a 1000 days.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
It’ll be 1000 days this coming Monday 🙂

My last drink was on a plane somewhere over Asia on New Years Eve 2018/9. I’d cut down a lot in 2018 and had turned my life around healthwise, but I was still craving and drinking every day. I was/am clearly alcohol dependent and realised, with some heartbreak if I’m honest, that quitting was my only option. Those evenings during the first weeks of withdrawal were pretty grim. I was anxious, bored and could barely sleep, but looking back it was just a few weeks of discomfort. I remember on day 55 having a family problem and the craving kicked in big time. If I’d had beers in the house, I’d have drunk for sure. After three months, I then had a trip to Germany which was one big trigger, but I’d had some sober time so didn’t succumb.

My “big secret” in all this was to get a life. As a drinker, I was a dull individual. I’d watch TV or surf the Internet with my beers. I took up exercise initially to lose weight, but that opened up a whole new life. I’m now in a couple of sports clubs and even do triathlons to a reasonable level. This is the guy who had a BMI of 32 (obese) and high blood pressure at the end of 2017! I didn’t need any blood pressure pills . I needed to lose the 50lbs and gain some confidence. I’m always nervous when others try and quit without changing anything else in their lives.

It’s not been all fairy tale stuff since 2018. I had a career change and retrained as a teacher. Whilst I passed and am on paper a qualified teacher, the amount of work I’d have to do to function in that role is unsustainable. I saw younger trainees smashing it and had to be realistic about my ability. I’m really upset not to still be teaching, and I miss the funny and naughty kids. Don’t be too sympathetic, though, as I had an old career to go back to which pays well but isn’t fulfilling in the least. My marriage suffered terribly whilst I was a drinker - I was an absolute ar5ehole - and there is still left over resentment unfortunately. I always say look to the future, but I obviously wish I’d quit a decade earlier and not lost those ten years.

My cravings come and go but are never as strong as during my drinking days. I haven’t had a craving for months now which is great. As alcoholics, we’re never cured, just in remission, and I’m under no illusion here. If I drink again, my sad boring previous existence will be back along with those 50lbs. Why others can’t accept defeat and insist on attempting to moderate is hard to understand.

So here’s to the next 1000 days. I didn’t want to paint a perfect picture, but the improvements in health, confidence and social life have been shocking. All I had to do was admit defeat and get a life.
amazing, very inspirational. Thank you
Old 09-23-2021, 01:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Inspiring

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Congratulations Hodd on 1,000 days. Thanks for your post, it's very inspiring.
I agree! Your post is really inspiring! I have 24 days and your story is a motivating factor!
Old 09-23-2021, 02:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks Listae. Well done on 24 days. Hopefully you’re starting to feel some benefits by now? I don’t envy those early days cravings, etc., but I can promise it gets better. Just make sure you’ve no alcohol in the house and that you’ve got some activity to occupy your free time 👍💪
Old 09-23-2021, 05:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So inspiring! Thanks and a big congratulations to you! 🎈
Old 09-23-2021, 06:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Amazing and inspirational, and REAL. Not a bed of roses, but so rewarding..

Congratulations on QUADRUPLE Digits🪅🎊🎉
Old 09-24-2021, 06:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Brilliant post, Hodd. Fantastic job of it, and making positive changes in your life!

I agree about getting a life.. it makes all the difference.

Here's to the next 1000!
Old 09-24-2021, 07:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thank you Hodd! It gives me a happy smile to read of your amazing turn around!
Old 09-24-2021, 08:05 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
agree about getting a life.. it makes all the difference.
!
I remember having “mini” quits before where the intention was to not drink for 2 or 3 weeks and then cut down. I’d obviously crossed the line into alcohol dependency long before them so I was attempting the impossible. One thing I do remember during those breaks was how bored I was. Being bored when quitting is a massive red flag. New quitters need to use that new energy and get out there.

Too many people think quitting alcohol is like buying new socks or trying a new brand of shampoo. It’s more like moving house - to another country. It’s a humungous undertaking.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:32 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You and I are on a similar time line Hodd and I always read and enjoy your posts.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Big thanks for sharing this honest and realistic story and a huge congratulations on the 1000 days. Inspiring!
Old 09-24-2021, 02:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tailai View Post
always read and enjoy your posts.
Oh so you’re the one 😆

Thanks and well done to you too, Tailai. I’m sure you’ve got quite a story to tell too.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:35 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Congratulations Hodd on your 1000 days. I'm still right with you!

Your posts are always inspiring - thank you for sharing. Here's to 1000 more...

Best wishes, Forwards.