Notices

Back at sobriety

Old 09-20-2021, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back at sobriety

It took me a little bit but I’m back. I’ve now been sober 13 days and I’m really trying to keep it that way. I always think a little reward won’t hurt but I always end up down the blackout path.

I’ve been able to think a lot more clearly, and increase overall productivity. It’s amazing how much alcohol takes away from you. All for a few hours of feeling obliterated. Not worth it! 👊🏻
Old 09-20-2021, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 09-20-2021, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Takeaction;[url=tel:7701979
7701979]It took me a little bit but I’m back. I’ve now been sober 13 days and I’m really trying to keep it that way. I always think a little reward won’t hurt but I always end up down the blackout path.

I’ve been able to think a lot more clearly, and increase overall productivity. It’s amazing how much alcohol takes away from you. All for a few hours of feeling obliterated. Not worth it! 👊🏻
I often have the same thoughts….Particularly on weekends when I used to binge drink the most…..But you’re right, it’s not worth the few hours of pleasurable high in exchange for the days of horrible withdrawals, insomnia, and anxiety.

Hang in there.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back takeaction.
How are you going to flip your ideas on what a reward is?

D
Old 09-20-2021, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Reward"
"pleasurable high"

Both of these terms are misnomers. The real reward is not a fleeting false sensation, it's the accomplishment of a goal (sober 24 hours) and the "high" is the return of your authentic self. Thinking of the exact thing you are avoiding as the reward is not a helpful mindset. As Dee said, time to rethink the reward system.

That being said, I do like ice cream.

Good on you for your thirteen days, for coming back and posting. Keep it up, you can do this.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you think about it, rewarding yourself for staying sober, with a drink, is really a dumb idea.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Takeaction View Post
It took me a little bit but I’m back. I’ve now been sober 13 days and I’m really trying to keep it that way. I always think a little reward won’t hurt but I always end up down the blackout path.

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
If you think about it, rewarding yourself for staying sober, with a drink, is really a dumb idea.
That's definitely AV talking when you hear "a little reward" when you think about alcohol. Even associating alcohol with a reward, as if it's a good thing for your mind/body/spirit and not an addictive poison. I've tried to reframe so I don't think of booze in positive terms. I used to always say to myself, "I've been so good -- haven't drank all week! Only had one beer last night! I deserve this night out with friends. It'll be fine."

It was never fine.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're back!
Old 09-22-2021, 12:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, I agree I should not think of a little glass of wine as a reward for being sober. It’s totally contradicting but yet it’s reality.

I’ve incorporated exercise recently to help keep my body busy. My daily reward was alcohol so coming up with a new reward is a change. It is rewarding to me to be able to speak and act professionally. My moods have changed to where I’m not so snippy which is amazing. I also love that I do not have hangovers and the clarity my brain feels.

If sobriety feels so good why does AV sound so tempting? I know that I don’t want it. I turned into such a bad alcoholic that alcohol didn’t even make me feel good anymore. 15 days strong 💪🏻
Old 09-22-2021, 04:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I agree I should not think of a little glass of wine as a reward for being sober. It’s totally contradicting but yet it’s reality.
You can change that 'reality'
You can challenge the idea that a drink is a reward, or something desirable.

Re-read your old posts or read around Newcomers forum. There's lots of AV busting reality to be had here.

D