Notices

So I’m tapering off

Old 09-18-2021, 08:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Bit direct and to the point but here goes:

No one posting on this site can do controlled drinking.

We’ve all already crossed a line into alcohol dependency and lost the battle. The lucky ones realised this and quit.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I’m not doing controlled drinking I’m tapering off. I have decided on this plan.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Tapering never, but eventually kind of worked for me - three beers and I would be at the point when I don't care about tomorrow or the future, I just want to enjoy the short high. Now, when I'm aware of that, I'm aware I shouldn't drink unless I absolutely have to, to save my life (I've been through DTs, multiple seizures)

Keep that in mind, please. Don't drink unless you feel you have to when withdrawals become real bad. Do not drink because you long for that ''short high''.

Excuse me if this is considered medical advice, it's just based on my experience.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by LeadHatter View Post
I’m not doing controlled drinking I’m tapering off. I have decided on this plan.
Tapering off = controlled drinking = moderation = cutting back = ( any other term you can come up with that involves a plan to continue consuming alcohol). Bottom line, you have no defined date to quit completely and your plan is to keep drinking. The amount is somewhat irrelevant really.

You need to keep in mind that this is a sobriety forum, not a moderation forum - and also that the promotion of drinking in any amount is against forum policy. You are getting dangerously close to that in your repeated attempts to justify your plan without having a plan to speak of.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

On my other thread

On my other thread in this group called “Friday” I’ve mentioned twice now that my goal is to taper off to zero. That it is.

Let me make it clear, here now, and on this thread. I am not advocating “controlled drinking” “moderate drinking” or any kind of consumption of alcohol.

what I am doing is seeking support and encouragement regarding cessation of alcohol consumption and the benefits of that.

So far as I know tapering off is a legitimate method of alcohol cessation. It’s a method I’m using.

However since there seems to be some contention as to what one can post and what one cannot I have referred this thread to a moderator.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Actually

Actually ScottFromWI I’ve just read back this thread and I have actually, previously to today, already stated my intention on this thread to cut down my alcohol consumption to zero.

So ScottFromWI when you say my plan is to keep on drinking you are incorrect.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:24 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by LeadHatter View Post
On my other thread in this group called “Friday” I’ve mentioned twice now that my goal is to taper off to zero. That it is.

Let me make it clear, here now, and on this thread. I am not advocating “controlled drinking” “moderate drinking” or any kind of consumption of alcohol.

what I am doing is seeking support and encouragement regarding cessation of alcohol consumption and the benefits of that.

So far as I know tapering off is a legitimate method of alcohol cessation. It’s a method I’m using.

However since there seems to be some contention as to what one can post and what one cannot I have referred this thread to a moderator.

Thank you for clarifying your stance on the issue, but please do be aware that what you are trying to do has been tried over and over, with very little success by the vast majority of the recovery community. I have tried it myself multiple times. Your reluctance to share or set a "quit' date is a red flag to me in your plan already - and I don't say that to single you out personally, but to share personal experience. AKA , almost all of us have been exactly where you are and we've seen the pattern play out countless times here on this forum, and it other recovery communities.

For a point of reference, I am a forum leader/admin so you have reported my post to me ;-) We are all here to help each other, and that's what everyone is attempting to do. It might seem like some are being harsh/blunt, but that's because we realize how detructive addiction can be. You can find the forum policies here https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ting-tips.html, please refer specifically to #2 as it relates to the point at hand.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

LeadHatter,

Quitting is hard. It’s scary. Please do not take personal offense here.

Here is a quote they may help you remember why you are here, it’s sometimes to be called out on things, or to point out things you may not be aware of.

Old 09-18-2021, 01:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
We are all here to help each other
Very much the case. Whether the terminology is tapering, moderating or xyzing, does it really matter if the person is still drinking? I read earlier that someone spent over ten years tapering. That’s clearly not tapering; that’s ten years of wasted life that they’ll never get back.

Tapering is surely what a doctor advises for someone who drinks bottles of vodka a day and would likely suffer seizures if they quit suddenly. Three beers a day won’t take a lot of tapering/xyzing. Sorry to say, any more than a couple of weeks shows a lack of intention to quit.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

It makes no difference what type of alcohol it is tho - that’s one of the great misnomers about drinking and especially tapering.

I had some very bad withdrawals and I was a beer drinker.

Thats not to scare you LeadHatter, I had a lot of other health issues as well.

The safest way to withdraw is to see a Dr first.

D
Old 09-18-2021, 02:59 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I wrote this on the Friday thread. My point being if nothing else worked its worth a try. It had nothing to do with moderating, it was to avoid seizures or worse:

Tapering is tricky. My withdrawals were bad so I drank just enough for 3 days to keep them at bay. Maybe half a beer at a time, no more. I think I had 12 the 1st day and 8 the next 2 days. The next morning I was waiting for the bad shakes but they never arrived so that was it, 8/14/2019. By day 4 or 5 of sobriety all the physical withdrawals were gone. There were 2 beers left in my cooler so I chucked them in the jungle behind my house. Couldn't bear to dump them and smell beer haha.

Good luck, let me know how it goes. Many don't believe tapering works, but no rehabs or AA where I live so it was do or die for me.

It's worth a try if nothing else has worked
Old 09-18-2021, 04:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I tried cutting down numerous times and I couldn't do it. That being said, I have friends in recovery that were able to do it - I'm a firm believer of throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks. Just remember to be honest with yourself - my lying kept me in a bad place for a really long time.

Donny :-)
Old 09-22-2021, 02:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

How's it going leadhatter?
Old 09-22-2021, 03:06 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
How's it going leadhatter?
Yeagh its going good. Today is my day 2. Not day 2 of any sort of tapering. Day 2 of no alcohol at all.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:14 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good deal!
Old 09-22-2021, 03:55 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
nmd

congrats on day 2 :-)
Old 09-22-2021, 05:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yay, good for you, LeadHatter.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:04 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good work and congrats on Day 2. Now - whats' the plan?
Old 09-22-2021, 06:40 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Good work and congrats on Day 2. Now - whats' the plan?
To stay sober odaat
Old 09-22-2021, 06:50 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 2 !