Notices

Contentment

Old 09-17-2021, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Contentment

Something that you can gain with sobriety and recovery. Something I never had in active alcoholism.

Truly grateful to be sober, every day is a blessing 🙏
Old 09-17-2021, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

True! I never realized how wonderful it is to feel content.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That one was a pleasant surprise for me too.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am sure this wonderful feeling of contentment is something I can hope for, I don't think I have felt contentment ...ever!
Old 09-18-2021, 02:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Still working to get there.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Life is good! I have my rose colored glasses on this morning. I am going to savor the feeling of contentment all day.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Contentment is an important part of happiness. I'm not sure if they are the same, but I don't think they are. I think contentment is more important, because it's impossible to be unhappy if I am content.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oxford dictionary:
Content: In a state of peaceful happiness

Yes, I work daily to ensure that I am content. Good habits have created harmony and peace in my life. All of the hard work and dedication to creating a new and improved self is paying off. Each day is a chance for me to rise to any challenge and to be the best version of myself possible. This has lead to happiness. A peaceful happiness.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The most contented person in my household is my smallest cat - she has mastered the art of peaceful happiness using a few mews to have her needs met and then sleeping in the most comfortable place she can find. Looking at her sleeping is as near as I get to this much desired state!
Old 09-18-2021, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had a couple of cats that stayed inside most of the winter lolling about in one nook or another, but during the summer, I could not keep them in. I wouldn't see them most of the day, except one would come in the house to use the litterbox once in a while. I used to wonder what they did all day. One day I was wandering around on the back of my property, and I came upon one of my cats. It was sound asleep under a tree, and never woke up as I watched. So that's what they do when they are off on their own.
Old 09-18-2021, 04:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too am content with my life now. I never was when I was drinking cause I was too busy being depressed and hating myself. But now I wake up happy and go to bed happy. What a change!
Old 09-18-2021, 04:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes! Happy with what I have and don’t want anything more 😊
Old 09-19-2021, 02:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your replies. What I needed was in me all along; I just needed to find it 🙏
Old 09-19-2021, 10:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
I am sure this wonderful feeling of contentment is something I can hope for, I don't think I have felt contentment ...ever!
In about a week, I’ll write a warts and all 1000 days post. There’s no doubt things have improved beyond recognition, but there’s a few downers in there. I wouldn’t say I’m content and the future’s slightly uncertain certainly financially and even personally, so I doubt anyone’s 100% content.

Why would you say you’re not content if I may ask?
Old 09-19-2021, 11:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

To be quite honest, mine comes n goes…I have my good n bad days but I’m still thankful to have come this far ( 8-1/2 months )
Old 09-19-2021, 02:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hodd, I have mulled this over since I wrote it - Never been contented? It is quite a statement.
It's not that I want more of anything, I don't want more money , or more stuff, or better stuff. That is not why.
I suppose I have never been content with what I have achieved, That is despite a good career, very good education, nope still I feel I have under achieved. But this malaise, this feeling of not being contented is maybe something that I need to work on, maybe I should be contented. I feel I have always been a restless spirit, I wish I wasn't and who knows after two years of sobriety maybe I will feel inner peace - it is inner peace which I associate with contentment - and inner peace is something as yet I do not feel enough of.