Notices

FOMO at Weekends? Weekenders 17 - 20 September 2021

Old 09-15-2021, 08:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

FOMO at Weekends? Weekenders 17 - 20 September 2021

Welcome to the Weekenders

FOMO Do you feel like you’re missing out not drinking?

When I stopped drinking I realised I had to keep away from anything or anyone that I thought would tempt me to drink. I hadn’t enough sober muscles yet.

I recall one Christmas when 6 months sober a few work colleagues went out for drinks, I really wanted to go but I feared I would have a drink forced on me and not be able to say no, or even worse they’d spike my orange juice, so I refrained from going.

For days after at work they talked of their Christmas after work do, which spread into the evening. I really felt like I’d missed out on a good night and isolated at work.

When I put things into perspective I realised I was still sober, I wasn’t hung over all weekend as I heard the stories unfold and I could hold my head up. If I had gone there’d have been stories of how drunk I had gotten, I’d have been embarrassed for another week.

Phew, I didn’t miss out after all!

I had a clear conscience, had a sober and productive weekend, maybe considered boring by others but for me, I kept my promise to myself, to stay sober.

Nowadays I wouldn’t want to go on a boozy night out at any cost. I wasn’t good company drunk. Always worried about the next few days what would be said at work how I’d made a fool of myself and that I regretted later.

FOMO? No chance! JOMO? You bet!

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)

Old 09-15-2021, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun!
Old 09-15-2021, 08:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on shotgun Free2bme
Old 09-15-2021, 08:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

wow im in and not late for this thread. Thanks mags1 xx this will be my 5th weekend sober, im hoping it will be better than it has been, but im working on it!!! as normal first 2 days im at work but will try to keep posting x
Old 09-15-2021, 08:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

JOMO for sure!

Thanks Mags, great opener.

Tonight, I was first asked by waitress about what I was drinking. “Iced tea!”

The men ordered cocktails, and the wife of the other party also ordered iced tea. Felt GREAT!

I remember being too wasted at a holiday party. It was awful. I had to be driven home. My husband had to drive me the next day to retrieve my car. Whispers hushed as I approached colleagues for WEEKS. 😩😩😩

Never again. That was almost 7 years ago now. Never went to another holiday party, but wasn’t done with FOMO.

NOW I’m done.

I don’t drink NOMO, NOMO! NOMO!!!!

❤️🤓
Old 09-15-2021, 08:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I look back at my drinking days, I realize that it was when I was drinking that I was truly missing out. I was missing out on life by being drunk or sick.

So glad those days are behind me now.

It's almost Thursday where I am.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Erratic congratulations on 5th weekend.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Mags

D
Old 09-15-2021, 10:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I need to learn JOMO for sure!
I’m still struggling with FOMO and I’m already worried about Christmas.As usual it will be at our house.
We have the swimming pool and the aircon, and it’s always stinking hot at Christmas so everyone comes to ours.
Partner also has a fully stocked bar and he traditionally makes cocktails for everyone. People bring a bottle for his bar, and he’s already got the plans for this year. Now we also have his 18 year old really excited about being able to drink cocktails this Christmas. Legal age to drink and already experimenting with friends
Maybe I’ll just do what your sister does Mags, and head off into the wilderness in a caravan 🤔 I would love to do that in Scotland!
But maybe not at Christmas, it might be a wee bit chilly then
Old 09-15-2021, 10:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm just happy as a clam that I start and end each day sober. So much simpler, no drama, no trouble. Peaceful and quiet.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Magsie

Willow yes it will certainly be chilly and maybe snowy at Christmas in Scotland. It certainly is a challenge when you have everyone round to yours at Christmas. Planning your own drinks will help you keep focused perhaps.

It does get to the stage that you don’t want a drink, as we know we can’t drink like others. For me it was all I could drink as fast as I could drink, that’s when I drank at home with no one watching me falling over or passed out!

I really never thought I’d get to the stage where it doesn’t bother me. It did! I couldn’t see booze in a shop without being tempted. But persisting with no drinking and adding sober tools that worked for me I can say I reached the stage a few years back now, that booze is just like a poison bottle on a shelf. I wouldn’t drink it. Ever.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Xmas is a way off yet - plenty of time to make plans and reinforce your desire to stay sober Willow

D
Old 09-15-2021, 10:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

FOMO?

Nothing a pain au chocolat can't solve.

Willow, I too am dreading Christmas. I spend it with my Dad, just the two of us. Last year he presented me with a mans towel someone had given him 15 years ago as a gift. It smelt. I washed it and use it for the dogs. Its not festive at all. Lake district or Scotland would suit me just fine. I fear I am getting too old to get up the mountains though.

Thanks Mags.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes Dee & Mags, I’ll have to have a plan.

Kaily maybe we should run away to Scotland for a white Christmas
Old 09-16-2021, 12:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes good idea Willow and we can write messages in the snow to post on here.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Magsie

Messages in the snow sound fun.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I'm IN for a third consecutive sober weekend.

I definitely understand F.O.M.O. Certainly back in my 20s and 30s. Not so much these days, thankfully, though I sometimes still get a feeling that I am missing out by being at home, sober. Thankfully that feeling is few and far between.

I wouldn't mind Christmas in Scotland. Maybe somewhere like Oban or a town like it, with a harbour and twinkling Christmas lights. However I think most people like to go to Scotland for the following week, Hogmanay (New Year) though for me that would be a definite "no no".
Old 09-16-2021, 01:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Weekenders,

I'm IN! Thanks mags for the thread. JOMO indeed :-)

It's my birthday week and beyond all else I'm glad to be sober to enjoy it. After 32.5 months alcohol free I no longer feel I'm missing out by not drinking. At a recent wedding it was delightful to be able to speak with the guests with a clear head throughout, brandishing my trusty glass of water. My modest birthday celebration will be the same. Having said that I do get some FOMO in other areas of life - Bitcoin anyone? (no, I won't...).

Anyway, great to have been following the thread this last week. Thank you for the message in the sand Willow. Thanks all for the posts and photos. Kaily - I have emergency pain au chocolat in the freezer at all times!

Warm wishes to all. Keep up the good work. Forwards.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

^
Forwards, Happy Birthday to you for when your birthday falls and congratulations on 32.5 months sober - that is excellent.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes Robbie you can come too and we’ll all write messages in the snow
Oban sounds great

Happy birthday Forwards!