Notices

FOMO at Weekends? Weekenders 17 - 20 September 2021

Old 09-17-2021, 04:26 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Magsie

Woohoo Willow! Congratulations on 4 months sober!
Old 09-17-2021, 04:30 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I can’t get the site to stay on desktop view anymore. I can do the forum landing page in desktop view but as soon as I click on a thread it reverts back to that funny app view. It’s been like this for a few weeks now. Tried everything and this happened a year or so ago when a change was made but it got fixed so was hoping it would just fix itself lol 😂
Old 09-17-2021, 04:35 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Signing up for a sober weekend.

Missing out- it's when I'm drunk that I miss things. Don't really enjoy or take in anything. Just blanked out and not remembering afterward. So one of my motivations to stay sober is that I can actually experience things
Old 09-17-2021, 04:46 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags

Manta I had the exact same problem. I tried a million times (it felt like a million anyway) and it kept switching back. In the end I had to switch browsers. I was using safari and tried chrome heaps too, but ended up using edge and it’s fine now, phew! I had to download it onto my phone and select desktop and now it stays on desktop
Old 09-17-2021, 05:07 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I’m in.

Great OP, Mags. Thank you!

We are heading out this morning to visit friends for the weekend. They are a lot of fun and we really enjoy their company, but booze is always flowing freely and I can sense a feeling of FOMO coming up for me. That said, I keep thinking of how nice it will be to wake up bright and early and clear headed.

Everyone have a great weekend!
Old 09-17-2021, 05:34 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

CBS, congrats on 9 months.

Robbie, Kitchen Nightmares was on for a couple of seasons here and I watched many of the episodes. I remember that one where he pulled the plug. Now he is doing a show I like where he travels abroad and does an outside meal with all local ingredients that they have collected.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:41 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Willow - huge congrats on four months. Once I had momentum I really valued and honored that streak of uninterrupted sobriety. The only way to heal is to not add alcohol to the healing nervous system.

Keep it going.

Hi, Manta.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:42 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

LHW, I have friends like that who are ALWAYS drinking. It really hasn't been a problem for me, even since early sobriety. It's the family friction that makes me think about it, but even that stands very little chance now.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:10 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Congrats on 4 months, Willow! Keep it going!
Good to see you, Manta, and I hope you sort out the issues you are having with the site.

I'm pretty thrilled that it's Friday. It seems like it was a very long week, and it's not over yet. About to go get a flu jab, and then I have a lot of work to do today. Tomorrow the man friend and I are taking a little road trip to an Amish Furniture store about an hour and a half from here. I have been slowly replacing my cheap furniture with high-quality stuff. I need to get a "media center" for my living room that can hold my TV and my stereo system. Taking the convertible, and then we will stop for lunch on an outdoor patio overlooking a river at a place we really like that's partway home from there. Not much good weather left around here, so I need to get that car on the road as much as possible. No missing out on fun in my world! Plenty of cool stuff to do, and not enough time!
Old 09-17-2021, 06:55 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Congrats, Willow!

MLD, what a fun day planned. Dr Free and I got a piece of furniture from true Amish, we went to his workshop, where steam powered sanders were being used by shoeless women. My sister lives in an Amish community, and the only way they talked to me was because of my sister.

My sister isn’t Amish, but they love their farming life amongst them. So quiet. No car or truck noise except their own
Old 09-17-2021, 07:18 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
In for another Weekender
Beautiful! Hope you enjoy the trip . I've been to England/Ireland before and it's some of the most beautiful sights I've seen with these two eyes.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:50 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hello, friends. In for another sober weekend in Arizona. To be honest, fear of missing out (FOMO) has never really been a "thing" with me, and I suspect its because I began my sober journey at a relatively "advanced" age (mid-40s) so by the time I had to pull the plug on drinking, there was not much bar-hopping, parties, and drunken socializing in my life anymore anyway. In fact, I would say that the nature of my drinking was such that I isolated myself so I could drink alone, so when I quit, my social and family life actually expanded and improved, I was more available to those close to me. I was no longer backing out of plans, avoiding get-togethers, etc. So if anything, I was missing out when I *was* drinking, not after I quit.

However, I do fear that I'm missing out on a trip that a close friend is currently on that I was supposed to be part of. We planned on going to Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. It would have been my first trip to the UK, and I wasn't interested in all the touristy stuff in London (no offense, Sao!). But at the time, I was betting on not being able to travel to the UK due to COVID (I'm vaccinated, but who knows what the rules will be months in advance, right?), so when we were planning the trip months ago, I finally backed out because I was guessing we wouldn't be able to go, and didn't want to get stuck with non-refundable airline tickets, etc. So the last two weeks I've been getting text messages and pictures from my friend who's having a great time all over southwestern England and the Isles. Wah-Wah-Wahhhhh...

DD
Old 09-17-2021, 07:54 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Free, I don't know if the furniture I am buying is "true" Amish - pretty sure it is not. There are Amish manufacturers - owned by Amish, but I believe they are using powered tools and such. There's no way they could produce as much as they do without some powered tools. Having said that, it is beautiful and durable. I keep telling my kids that they will have to deal with this furniture after I die, and that if they put it at the curb for free, my ghost will make their lives miserable.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:01 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Willow, congratulations on 4 months of sobriety!
Old 09-17-2021, 09:07 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

DesertDawg, Cornwall is beautiful, especially west Cornwall, around Penzance, Mousehole (pronounced Mau-Zell, when I was there in 1995 I did pronounce it exactly as it looks written which did make a few of the locals roll their eyes!) and Newlyn. The Scilly Isles are about 25 miles south of west Cornwall. I never got there, unfortuantely.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:10 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Thanks, Magsnificent, for another thread and great opening post. Long live JOMO. Blessedly and thankfully, there is nothing at all that I miss about drinking.

Well done, Willow, on four months, and CBS on nine months tomorrow.

, forwards.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:15 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you itsmaria, Evoo!

Congratulations on 4 months Willow.

Good to see you too DesertDawg, that's a shame about not getting to go to Cornwall, it is very picturesque although it is also pretty touristy too. The Scilly Isles look great but I have never been there. Perhaps if they like it enough they might want to return.

I just Googled Amish furniture, it does look well made. The prices are definitely 2021 not 1821.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FORWARDS!
Old 09-17-2021, 09:40 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great posts, everyone. I think that I am caught up on the last couple of days.

Been a little rough here with excruciating jaw, ear and head pain on the right side of my face - seems it was all caused by using a snorkel. I have recently re-introduced lap swimming to my exercises; I need to use a snorkel and face mask as I have DDD of the neck (lifting or turning my head to breathe is difficult and uncomfortable (therefore the need for the snorkel). It was all going splendidly, building distance from 1/4 mile to 1.5 miles, and really getting into the ‘zone’. Sleep was fantastic.

Apparently clamping on the snorkel mouthpiece caused my jaw to misalign causing radiating pain; it was rather intense at times but ibuprofen helped somewhat. Talking, eating and sleeping have been a real challenge for the last 4 to 5 days but things are now gradually improving. Hopefully, I will be able to return to swimming next week with the recommendation that I reduce the distance to between 1/4 and 1/3 miles and the frequency to every other day, with the addition of jaw exercises and massage before and after each swimming session. Fingers crossed it goes well.

Good to be back.

Happy Friday.

Old 09-17-2021, 11:33 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Magsie

Oh gosh Leigh. It sounds so painful. Sorry you were suffering, I hope the swimming will start as planned and the reduced distance will not cause problems for you with the snorkel. Sending lots of healing prayers and hugs xx
Old 09-17-2021, 11:46 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags; fingers crossed.