Notices

Isn’t it strange...

Old 09-15-2021, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Isn’t it strange...

Hey so I’m a relative newcomer here and am trying to get sober though I currently have good and bad days. What struck me reading through the forums were how similar other’s stories were to mine.

For example, when I drink (generally 1-1.5 bottles of wine most nights now and have done so for at least the last 4 years), I am an anxious wreck the next day checking my eyes for jaundice, panicking that I’ve finally pushed my liver too far (I generally have an ache in this area after drinking - not a sharp pain, more of a tightness and ache in my mid/lower right side/back - anyone else have this?) and that it’s all over. This inevitably pushes me into having that first glass of wine to calm down and we know how that ends up.

What I’m trying to say is that not everyone has the same experience as me, but the stories are so similar amongst the people that do it’s surreal I find.

Just thought I’d start a discussion

Are there experiences of people that you have ready about that really closely mirror yours? If so, what?

Take care all,

J
Old 09-15-2021, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by J226197 View Post

Are there experiences of people that you have ready about that really closely mirror yours? If so, what?

Take care all,

J
Oops I meant to say *read*
Old 09-15-2021, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi J, and welcome. I also experienced localized pains in the area of my liver in the final year or so of my drinking. It was confirmed by a doctor that my liver enzymes were off the charts, and I spent about a week in the hospital being treated for that. I never had jaundice, though, which was odd to me. You will find lots of commonalities with other people suffering from alcoholism. Be careful, though, to only identify and not compare. We all share very similar experiences, but each person's story is also unique. I continued drinking for many years because I "wasn't as bad as these other folks." It didn't take much longer until I was! Glad you're here!
Old 09-15-2021, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stories are similar because we all have the same issue. Alcohol dependency.

What matters is that we abstain from drinking alcohol.

Whether your liver hurts and mine doesn't is of no consequence.

Give up the booze and never have to worry about drinking yourself to death again
Old 09-15-2021, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey so I’m a relative newcomer here and am trying to get sober though I currently have good and bad days. What struck me reading through the forums were how similar other’s stories were to mine.

For example, when I drink (generally 1-1.5 bottles of wine most nights now and have done so for at least the last 4 years), I am an anxious wreck the next day checking my eyes for jaundice, panicking that I’ve finally pushed my liver too far (I generally have an ache in this area after drinking - not a sharp pain, more of a tightness and ache in my mid/lower right side/back - anyone else have this?) and that it’s all over. This inevitably pushes me into having that first glass of wine to calm down and we know how that ends up.
100 percent - to a T (the liver ache, anxiety, checking for jaundice, flipping my tongue back-and-forth to see if I was having a stroke etc)... Yes. The anxiety was insane. When I tell my wife about it today, I can only describe it was existential dread. It was exacerbated by other undiagnosed health problems I was ignoring (and now get treatment for ). I can't tell you how many times I decided not to drink ever again in the morning, and was shaking my way to a glass of whiskey by 6 p.m.

What I’m trying to say is that not everyone has the same experience as me, but the stories are so similar amongst the people that do it’s surreal I find.

Just thought I’d start a discussion

Take care all,

J
Yes, posting here is what make me truly realize and accept that I was an alcoholic. When my AV had more control, I was more terrified of that label that actually giving up alcohol.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes my liver hurt so much that I had to put my vodka into milkshakes just to drink it. The milkshake soothed and lessened the pain and enabled to to get my fix.

The morning anxiety was horrendous till I found the cure, which was to never sober up. I don't recommend it.

J226197, I hope you get sober before it gets worse.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A lady shared today that even children can’t keep you sober; explaining that she had a child just because she thought it’d keep her sober. And that’s exactly what I did 5 years ago - I got pregnant because I thought I’d stop drinking for good (I didn’t drink while pregnant). So yes, I find others stories are very similar to mine. Which makes me feel connected and that others “like me” understand. It’s crazy how alcohol does that right?
Old 09-15-2021, 03:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not worth waiting for that liverish ache to become so bad you in up in hospital - or worse
I stopped drinking and that ache went away - it was that easy to stop the 4am anxiety.
Take control - and learn to know that Addictive voice for what it is - a call to put poison in your body
If I were you - I would stop drinking right now and join this community of fellow travellers who will support you in your journey.