Notices

Drinking Dreams

Old 09-14-2021, 05:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking Dreams

I know drinking dreams are pretty normal and I’ve had a few tia past month but last nights dream was very vivid. I hate gotten into a fight with my ex bro in law and was pretty mad (about real life stuff) and when we left there was a six pack of my used to be favorite beer in the middle of the truck. I grabbed in and opened it slowly and even asked myself “do I want to ruin these past 31 days?” Took a small tiny sip and hubby looked at me. It all seemed so real. But continued to drink it. I don’t remember anything else in the dream after that. So weird. And sooo vivid. Even me yelling at my bro in law - and I must’ve been scary cause even he was backing off lol.

Just had to get that out here in my safe place. On to day 32 ✌🏻
Old 09-14-2021, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jillian,

i had a smoking dream so real 15 years after I quit smoking.

Funny, the addict had all the typical excuses about why I couldn’t quit again, too stressed, too happy, holidays coming, wait until first of month, light smoking isn’t that bad…….OMG🤬🤬🤬

Woke up freaking at first, then so glad it was a dream

Happy for you!
Old 09-14-2021, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Posted this in another thread. Had a dream I was drinking bourbon. Woke up in a slight panic.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Khorhey View Post
Posted this in another thread. Had a dream I was drinking bourbon. Woke up in a slight panic.
I don’t wake up in a panic like I’ve heard others do or at least I don’t think I do, but dang the dream was so real.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
I don’t wake up in a panic like I’ve heard others do or at least I don’t think I do, but dang the dream was so real.
I've had many of these and would invariably wake up in a state of self loathing demoralized failure. It's kind of the way it was before I was in recovery, except back then, I had nothing to compare my life to. It was basically just the way my life was, which I accepted kind of stoically.

But having an actual taste of how good sobriety could be, I became terrified that I might relapse (and I think that's what the dreams were about). I'm just realizing now that those dreams ended when I became aware that my choices were entirely under my control, and that no satanic possession could ever make me drink against my will.

What causes dreams, and what drinking dreams are about, we don't actually understand. Having said that, I think it's because sobriety plays such a big part in our lives. For whatever reason, I associate these types of dreams with progress. But that's just an impression I have.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In my experience the drinking dreams decrease in frequency the longer you have been sober. I was always thankful when I woke up to realize it was only a dream.

I've been sober 11+ years and still have dreams where I drink, maybe twice a year. It's no big deal.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've had so many drinking dreams, or nightmares, over the years since I first got sober. There was always a repeated theme of fear, paranoia, and remorse. I was a hider, so I was always sneaking drinks in my dreams, as well, and worried I was about to get caught. Often, they were so vivid that I would wake up wondering whether or not it really happened. In the real world, I relapsed for 8 days after 6 years of sobriety. Looking back on those 8 days, it feels exactly like those nightmares - surreal and terrifying.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't even remember the last time I had a dream
where I took a drink of alcohol. Maybe it's because
I incorporate my program of recovery in all areas of
my life to the best of my human ability.

When I live in harmony with life, take care of my
heart, mind and soul, then when I lay my head down
at night thanking the Heavenly Stars above and my
Higher Power for my sober day, then my dreams
reflect that.

When I work my program of recovery everyday,
then I work my recovery in my dreams too.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yes, I also have the drinking dreams.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post

But having an actual taste of how good sobriety could be, I became terrified that I might relapse (and I think that's what the dreams were about). I'm just realizing now that those dreams ended when I became aware that my choices were entirely under my control, and that no satanic possession could ever make me drink against my will.
Very interesting!
Old 09-14-2021, 10:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
Very interesting!
Yeah, I think it is too, but these were just dreams, so all I'm really doing is speculating, but if there were someway of proving to myself that I am right, I'd place a small bet on my theory.