Notices

day 1

Old 09-13-2021, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 1

I was 4 years sober. I started drinking casually last year during covid, and full blown back into addiction this May. The bad part is that I don't get hangovers anymore. I could drink 6 drinks a night and feel fine the next day. I'm trying to use delta 8 thc to transition myself back to being clean again, but its so hard. Please help me! I know I can do it because I did it before .
Old 09-13-2021, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back 83mamaof2, glad you've decided to get sober again. When you say it's bad that you don't get hangovers anymore, is that because they have progressed to withdrawls? That's what ended up happening to me in the end.

I"m not sure what delta 8 thc might be, but for the most part the transition to sobriety doesn't involve more drugs. And you are right, it is very hard - but most things worth having in life are not easy to obtain. Did you follow a particular plan or method last time you quit by chance?
Old 09-13-2021, 12:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 83mama0f2 View Post
Its so hard. Please help me! I know I can do it because I did it before .
As you probably know, it often gets harder each time to quit. I'm speculating as to why, but I assume it's because common knowledge among alcoholics is that when you go back to drinking even after a pause of two years, you don't gain some kind of healing for good behavior, and some say you actually go back to a point where you would be if you just kept drinking during those years off. That would entrench your addiction additionally more than your earlier drinking did.

Of course you can still quit, but the first week or two is always going to be hard. Those initial days are one of the main reasons, I never went back. I wasn't sure if I had it in me to do it again. But keep posting. Let us know specifically what your hardest issues are to deal with. There will often be many suggestions that you can sort through and ones that may help take some of the agony out of the process, but it's still a hard part of recovery. After you get through the cravings, we will have all kinds of advice on making it stick this time.

It's good that you are here.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back 83mamaof2! I had some time sober too about two years. Then, when I went back to drinking, I progressively slipped into full-blown dangerous alcoholism. Day 1 was the hardest and I kept trying over and over again.

So, I know how you feel and I'm so glad you are here.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back 83mamaof2
There is no easy way, but our addictive self loves to think there is.

Support helps tho and there’s tons of that here.

I’d think again about the delta 8 thc.
You might be creating a new problem to replace your current one?

D

Old 09-13-2021, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Delta 8 doesn't have the same psychoactive affects on me.. its just relaxing for me..like if I had a cup of chamomile tea or l-theanine. So I'm not worried about it! but than you. I need you guys to help me get through this gain. I keep trying on my own and its not working.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad you are back here with new determination, 83mama.
I found the encouragement here really helped - I had felt all alone before joining SR - no one in my life understood. Checking in every day gave me strength.
You can get past this anxious time & begin to feel better.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

6 drinks does not sound that bad? If you are talking the standard amounts. Have you tried AA?
Old 09-13-2021, 06:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

any amount of drinks is bad for an alcoholic.

D
Old 09-13-2021, 07:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You know you can do it because you did it before. Now, to do it.

When I got sober again I used the same method I applied before. Structure was and still is my program. The results have proven successful.

What did you do before to get sober?

Old 09-13-2021, 09:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 83mama0f2 View Post
I was 4 years sober. I started drinking casually last year during covid, and full blown back into addiction this May. The bad part is that I don't get hangovers anymore. I could drink 6 drinks a night and feel fine the next day. I'm trying to use delta 8 thc to transition myself back to being clean again, but its so hard. Please help me! I know I can do it because I did it before .
that's because alcohol is still in your system the next day.. day 2 might be your hangover day. 4 years is an amazing achievement. You are very brave to come back. I wish you every strength to continue on in your sober journey. My drinking history has been 26 years. I've relapsed many many times and my longest streak of sober time is 14 months. I am trying to get a new medication for anxiety now myself.